Page 26 of 29 FirstFirst ... 162425262728 ... LastLast

Thread: 36" (91 cm) Death Star WIP (continued)

I wouldn't worry about wall decals for the chasm just yet.

Build level by level if you have to, just be careful to make sure the chasm wall will be flat and at a 90 degree angle.
    Once everything is permanently in place, cut out 2 pieces of cardstock that fit the walls perfectly. It might be a good idea to even cut out the door holes at this time and make sure they are aligned.

Once everything fits perfectly, you can apply the decals to the cardstock.
    At this point, I would brush or spatula some white (tacky) glue around the edges of the DS chasm walls. Then I would used movable spray adhesive on the back of the cardstock and then attach it to the DS walls. The white glue around the edges is so there will be no spaces or bubbles.

Does anyone have any good references for what the actual ceilings of the trash compactor or Vader's chamber would look like? Utinniii, I know you're always really good with references.

Quote Originally Posted by Utinniii View Post
    I wouldn't worry about wall decals for the chasm just yet.

Build level by level if you have to, just be careful to make sure the chasm wall will be flat and at a 90 degree angle.
    Once everything is permanently in place, cut out 2 pieces of cardstock that fit the walls perfectly. It might be a good idea to even cut out the door holes at this time and make sure they are aligned.

Once everything fits perfectly, you can apply the decals to the cardstock.
    At this point, I would brush or spatula some white (tacky) glue around the edges of the DS chasm walls. Then I would used movable spray adhesive on the back of the cardstock and then attach it to the DS walls. The white glue around the edges is so there will be no spaces or bubbles.
    That might just be crazy enough to work! Thank you!

I did a quick look and didn't see anything, but in all the other set shot I have, they don't have ceilings. I will check again but I won't be posting until after the weekend.
    But you will be finished everything by then!

The Trash Compactor ceiling looks exactly like the floor.

As for Vader's Chambers, why not put a pin-up poster of Natalie Portman on the ceiling?

Kidding aside, I imagine the Trash Compactor would have more of the "wooden planks" you see on the back wall (under the guide rails for the moving walls.) If you want to get fancy, you can put lights up there (though I think we were supposed to get the impression that the set was only being lit by the light panel above the door) or more guide track details. When I drew up ceiling decals for my 4-sided Death Star playset, I just drew the wooden slats with a spot for the chute from above.

For Darth Vader's Chambers, you could do something like the spot/track lighting as seen in the hangar bay office:

Or what seems to be the standard Death Star ceiling scheme, as seen on the other side of the control room:

If you want to really take a look at the meditation chamber from ESB and figure Vader has the same style room on the DS, then you can sort of extrapolate a hexagonal ceiling fitting into the angled wall-tops on the structure from this set, I would opt for no lights up there since they included plenty of light sources lower on the walls:

Hope some of that helps!

Quote Originally Posted by Muftak View Post
    The Trash Compactor ceiling looks exactly like the floor.

As for Vader's Chambers, why not put a pin-up poster of Natalie Portman on the ceiling?

Kidding aside, I imagine the Trash Compactor would have more of the "wooden planks" you see on the back wall (under the guide rails for the moving walls.) If you want to get fancy, you can put lights up there (though I think we were supposed to get the impression that the set was only being lit by the light panel above the door) or more guide track details. When I drew up ceiling decals for my 4-sided Death Star playset, I just drew the wooden slats with a spot for the chute from above.

For Darth Vader's Chambers, you could do something like the spot/track lighting as seen in the hangar bay office:

Or what seems to be the standard Death Star ceiling scheme, as seen on the other side of the control room:

If you want to really take a look at the meditation chamber from ESB and figure Vader has the same style room on the DS, then you can sort of extrapolate a hexagonal ceiling fitting into the angled wall-tops on the structure from this set, I would opt for no lights up there since they included plenty of light sources lower on the walls:

Hope some of that helps!
    Lol yeah that works! Thanks for your help - that does give me some ideas. And man I wish I had found that pic of Vader's meditation chamber before I spent the time photoshopping Palpatine out of the picture!

I got my new camera today, so hopefully tomorrow I should be able to provide a few better pics of where I'm at so far. I actually took the big step and started gluing down some of the walls and floors. The first floor in almost done and I'm about to start on the ceilings textures, so this should be fun.

Well, the image quality on the camera I got is only slightly better, which tells me I'm just not a very good photographer lol. Guess that's another thing I have to work on. Anyway here's a few shots of the first floor walls, now permanently attached. The coolest thing is that it is now a free-standing unit, which not only takes up less space, but I never have to worry about taking it apart again! There is a very slight teeter, which was expected, and I believe is partly due to a little warpage in the base wall. Once the upper levels are attached, if it's still there I'll just shim the bottom, which won't be noticeable.

As you can see, I said to hell with the string pulley setup for the trash walls. The rods, which I had originally tried, I found work much better with the little feet I had installed to keep the walls straight when pulling the strings. I'd have liked to have the rods underneath, but there was no room down there with the supports. The bottom of the unit was already glued together and I didn't want to rebuild it, so here we are. There's still some drag, and on the Lazy Susan it's a little difficult to open the walls back up using the rods, but we never really see that happen in the movie anyway, so it can be done by hand. I'll try to shoot another video of it later.

The chasm bottom texture somehow got flipped in my imaging software, so I'll have to re-print that one before it's attached so it lines up properly.

Next I'll be starting on the first floor ceilings!

Looks great so far!!

Here is a pic of the trash compactor set. I couldn't find anything better. Have you watched the scene again looking for the ceiling?

Quote Originally Posted by Utinniii View Post
    Looks great so far!!

Here is a pic of the trash compactor set. I couldn't find anything better. Have you watched the scene again looking for the ceiling?
    No, I was too lazy to go back and do it, but I seem to remember from looking for it another time that they didn't really show it. I just went off Muftak's suggestion for it.

Time for another decent-sized update. I did get the first floor nearly complete, save for the hallway outside of the trash compactor and the chasm bottom. While jumping back and forth between working on the trash chute and other stuff, I started putting up some of the 2nd floor walls.

Here's a couple shots of the rooms that are mostly done, complete with the ceiling textures -

The Utility Room (will put the Stormtrooper bunker in here but not permanently, so it will have more options)

Vader's Chamber:

You can't see it too well, but the ceiling texture does have a fade so it appears the light is glowing.

Superlaser Control Room:

For this I just used black posterboard to keep the room looking a little darker.

Here's a few of the second floor rooms that are mostly done save for the ceilings -

Luke/Leia Running Room (before chasm):

Luke/Leia Safe Room (after chasm):

A couple shots of the chasm in progress:

A couple full body shots:

And the Detention Block area, which I have to finish, or at least progress on, before I can get the trash chute, and hence the first floor, finalized. I'm still doing some test runs, trying to eliminate as much sticking as possible with the limited space I'm working with. If Chewie can slide down that thing after being put through the chute and not get stuck 9 out of 10 times, I'll consider it good enough.

And finally, a couple test shots with some lights I'm trying out. I looked for the smallest battery-powered lights I could find, and this is what I came up with. If you guys have any other suggestions on these, I'm still kind of looking around. The brightness on these isn't too bad, but I don't like the light rings they project on the surface. Fairy lights are out of the question because of the wires, and it's too late at this point to go back and try to fit in space for wiring, nor do I really want to take the time to do that. But let me know how this looks - the yellowish tint is due to the settings I had on the camera at the time, so try to ignore that.

That's all for now. Thanks for stopping
    Last edited by Darth_Sceptaurus; 07-25-2019 at 06:07 AM.

Man, I'm completely in awe - and at a loss of words. This is shaping up to such an incredible playset! There is a lot of word/wishes of a death star playset as the next haslab-project, but one thing is clear to me; if Hasbro did one, it would never be as cool and full of playvalue as yours. This is just tremendous work. Now, that you are closer and closer to finishing this monster, don't let any rebels near

The lights look good to me. I like that the walls reflect a bit of it, makes them look more metallic and real.
    Project "Ghost Stories" - Building Star Wars: Rebels Playsets: https://forum.rebelscum.com/showthread.php?t=1140437

Yeah, that is really starting to come together well. Vader's chamber looks good with the 500th figure in there, for sure.

The lights are no big deal either way. If you don't like the reflections, maybe you can jury-rig some kind of diffuser around them to take the edge off. In the end they will be there to help you enjoy the display when set up, so your eye has to be the judge on what is too much and what's just right.

I like taking pictures of finished projects, but I don't enjoy the process of doing lighting set-ups for stuff. I love taking early-morning shots when the sunlight is streaming through eastern windows and just letting nature take its course.

Can't wait to see the Detention Center come into its own in your set-up.

Page 26 of 29 FirstFirst ... 162425262728 ... LastLast