Page 22 of 25 FirstFirst ... 122021222324 ... LastLast

Thread: 36" (91 cm) Death Star WIP (continued)

Sooo... any updates? This project is so mind-boggling fantastic, it has to continue
    Project "Ghost Stories" - Building Star Wars: Rebels Playsets: https://forum.rebelscum.com/showthread.php?t=1140437

Quote Originally Posted by SpectreOne View Post
    Sooo... any updates? This project is so mind-boggling fantastic, it has to continue
    Hey, SpectreOne! I haven't been on in a while. I see you did some more work on the Ghost. Looks fantastic!

Yeah, I've been kind of wrapped up in some studies recently, but I do plan on getting back to work on the DS sometime soon. I've come too far to not finish it, and I feel I at least owe it to the people who followed the thread and offered helpful suggestions along the way. Plus, the work area is taking up space on the table I was going to put my sail barge on!

Hopefully sometime in May, if not sooner, I'll be able to start doing updates again

I'm glad to see you haven't given up on this.

I was thinking of your DS recently. My work was throwing out a revolving display stand. I rescued the base in case I ever build a spherical diorama. It is basically a Lazy Susan for Deathstars. It has industrial wheels on the bottom and is sturdy as heck.

I was also thinking of your trash problem. What if you were to take a black balloon or rubber/stretchy sheet and attach your diaonga to the center of it. Attach the sides to the floor of the compactor so when the head is pulled down, the foam doesn't fall through. Then you could have smaller pieces of foam.

Quote Originally Posted by Utinniii View Post
    I'm glad to see you haven't given up on this.

I was thinking of your DS recently. My work was throwing out a revolving display stand. I rescued the base in case I ever build a spherical diorama. It is basically a Lazy Susan for Deathstars. It has industrial wheels on the bottom and is sturdy as heck.

I was also thinking of your trash problem. What if you were to take a black balloon or rubber/stretchy sheet and attach your diaonga to the center of it. Attach the sides to the floor of the compactor so when the head is pulled down, the foam doesn't fall through. Then you could have smaller pieces of foam.
    Nice idea, that could work. Thanks Utinniii!

I ended up ordering a Lazy Susan a few months ago, and the partially-assembled DS is sitting on it right now. I have a couple other unrelated projects I'm working on right now, but looking forward to getting back at it soon. The plan is to get all of the wall textures done for all the rooms, then start painting the floors.

I'm back! After nearly 6 months without any serious updates, it's time to get back at it. I have one exam for my classes to finish tomorrow, and then I'll be able to spend all my free time outside of work on this thing. I've resolved to get it finished, or at least mostly finished, this summer!

This is the mess on my work bench that I get to return to:

This is also the table the barge will sit on once I get the DS finished, so even more motivation to get it done!

Here are the two boxes of components that were removed when I disassembled it the last time:

Here are some shots of the structure with the main walls back up:

And a close-up of the painted side walls for the trash compactor, which will be mostly covered up later on, save for the edges:

As you see, I got it up on the Lazy Susan, which makes getting shots like this much easier. The table is just a $30 one I bought so I'd have somewhere to set it while I'm working on it. Once finished, I'll probably invest in a nicer table that fits it a little better.

I'll be using these full structure shots in order to catalog the different rooms and what operations need to be done to them. I'll be starting with walls and floors and then going back to put in the components later after I have the structure secured. At least that's the plan. Once I get the list made, I'll probably be putting together some more wall textures and doing some painting on the floors.

More soon!

Welcome back! I kept hoping to see an update.

Darth_Sceptaurus, you outta double your efforts to get back on schedule before the Emperor arrives.

Seriously, this and the large scale Falcon project show the amount of dedication Star Wars customizers are willing to put into the craft. Looking forward to more updates.

Quote Originally Posted by Utinniii View Post
    Welcome back! I kept hoping to see an update.
    It's great to be back, and thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by Tyranusspotting View Post
    Darth_Sceptaurus, you outta double your efforts to get back on schedule before the Emperor arrives.

Seriously, this and the large scale Falcon project show the amount of dedication Star Wars customizers are willing to put into the craft. Looking forward to more updates.
    Thank you, lol. To be mentioned in the same sentence as someone of izzymel's caliber is a great compliment! I hope to not disappoint!

So I wanted to post a really quick update here. This is what I've been working on here and there throughout this last week.

I got a few of the floors painted. This is the Duel Hall (Obi/Vader), the hallway where Luke and Leia end up after their swing across the chasm (I call it the Safety Hall), the Red Control Room, and the Blast Door Room/Hall.

And here are a couple of the textures I've finished. The first two are chasm walls, so they will basically be 20-some inches in height when printed.

Here is the blast door wall for the Duel Hall, which on the other side will be part of the Hangar Bay.

Here is the half wall that will show the doorway behind Obi-Wan and Vader when seen from the Hangar Bay, front and back.

And finally the long section running along the other wall of the Duel Hall, which will be split in the middle by the half section...

I'm in the process of doing more painting and working on textures for other rooms while waiting for paint to dry. So until next time...
    Last edited by Darth_Sceptaurus; 05-20-2019 at 12:49 AM.

This will be my second update for today. Well, I guess technically the other one was last night. I wanted to share my work on this texture for the Overbridge, as it was a pain in the *** and took me forever.

I used this shot from Rogue One as a reference:

And took a screenshot of ANH to use as a base:

Notice how it gets cut off with no details around the edges shown.

With a little work, this is what I came up with:

This was done in Gimp using a lot of cloning and smudging. Around the edges you'll see the pre-made wall textures that I edited. I tried my best to get the texture on the window to match the hue and brightness/contrast of the wall textures.

If you saw my original Overbridge window, you'll notice this one is much larger. The plan is to cut out the star field in the wall texture and just use the frame. Behind it, there will be an empty star field background. And now, instead of the poster board wheel, I'll use clear thin plexi-glass type material in front of the star field and glue the different stages of Alderaan exploding directly to the wheel. I may have to use another thin layer of clear plastic over those textures to give it the same glossy, behind-the-glass look as the clear plastic. So we'll see what I come up with.

Other than that, got 5 more floors painted but they still need another coat.
    Last edited by Darth_Sceptaurus; 05-20-2019 at 07:51 AM.

Nice updates.

Sometimes it is nice to paint and finish off sections just so it feels like something is being accomplished. It is also exciting to see it looking more like a toy and less like a construction project.

Before you paint the second coat, there are 2 things you need to consider.
    1] are you going to cut the lines in the floors?
    2] are you going to hide the foam board layering (walls and floors). You can cut strips of paper to make it look like one fat piece instead of 3 pieces.

Page 22 of 25 FirstFirst ... 122021222324 ... LastLast