Page 216 of 235 FirstFirst ... 116166206214215216217218226 ... LastLast
Results 2,151 to 2,160 of 2345

Thread: The next big ticket item?

You mean the one they based on the prototype that is actually a custom commissioned for the exhibit in Canterbury England

continuing the vintage dream......one custom at a time!

Seems like a step back to me. I prefer the ones with fake fur on them, particularly the less common ones with the wooly fur rather than the fur that just sticks straight out everywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Darth_Sceptaurus View Post
    Seems like a step back to me. I prefer the ones with fake fur on them, particularly the less common ones with the wooly fur rather than the fur that just sticks straight out everywhere.
    It IS a step back. That's the whole point. This is sculpted based off the lone picture that exists of the actual Kenner prototype that was planned but never released. This guy did any amazing job capturing the Kenner vibe and feel and it's the first time anyone tried something other than an unproduced action figure. This looks far cooler than the Tarkin from Hasbro's boring Death Star game. The best part to me is it is designed with every detail that came from an item that existed in the Kenner era. I love that the Tusken Raider sits inside the Bantha, just like the Dewbacks and Tauntauns of the time.
    "you've taken your first step into a larger world"

Yeah, I guess that was lost on me lol. I get the appeal, and it does really fit with the vintage toys. I wouldn't want something like that as a Haslab item, but if they kept going with the Retro Collection and made new figures we've never seen, I might eventually bite on something like that. A new TVC bantha would be cool, but I don't know if there's much they can do to improve upon the one they already have.

Quote Originally Posted by SaberSonic83 View Post
    It IS a step back. That's the whole point. This is sculpted based off the lone picture that exists of the actual Kenner prototype that was planned but never released. This guy did any amazing job capturing the Kenner vibe and feel and it's the first time anyone tried something other than an unproduced action figure. This looks far cooler than the Tarkin from Hasbro's boring Death Star game. The best part to me is it is designed with every detail that came from an item that existed in the Kenner era. I love that the Tusken Raider sits inside the Bantha, just like the Dewbacks and Tauntauns of the time.

but the photo does not exist.......the photo he is referencing is one of a commissioned custom for the Canterbury exhibit!

This is a mock up .....a custom commissioned. This is the photo he referenced.

As for this being the first time someone attempted this....false. It’s documented here at scum. There has been several before him. Mine being I think one of the first in 2010 and the finished piece in 2013 Plenty more pics in my photo gallery........but it’s not who did it first. In the customizing community we all copy or are inspired by others work. But every once and a while somebody captures the very essence of what might have been and it is an almost unspoken acceptance...... that’s the one. He has self proclaimed himself as the genius behind the sculpt but that is false. It would be different if he simply said I have drawn inspiration from the customizing community. You don’t have to name drop . We don’t work that way in the customizing community. Only too glad to see someone put it into production for those who can’t sculpt. Just be honest.....that’s all.

I would just like to reiterate I am not bashing the piece or the idea of it’s production or the people involved. I think Sexton is very talented. I just want collectors who purchase it to realize it is a custom piece not a reproduction of a prototype like the rocket Fett.
    Last edited by darth_stranger; 09-18-2019 at 11:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by darth_stranger View Post
    but the photo does not exist.......the photo he is referencing is one of a commissioned custom for the Canterbury exhibit!

This is a mock up .....a custom commissioned. This is the photo he referenced.
    I have no idea what you're talking about. That photo is from Gus Lopez's SWCA site, it's straight from Hasbro's archive. It says so right on the pic. It's an unproduced toy, I'm pretty sure a toy nut like Gus wouldn't have put the photo in the unproduced Kenner archive if it was simply a custom.
    "you've taken your first step into a larger world"

The pic is a fake.....here is page 32 from Gus’s archive .this photo does not exist in his archives. It is a custom sculpted over a modern Hasbro bantha, stripped of its fur and sculpted over. The mouth , horns, saddle are a MODERN HASBRO BANTHA!

and if you’re still in doubt scroll about half way down on this link to the may the toy be with you exhibit......and you’ll see this so called “PROTOTYPE “
    https://greencardback.wordpress.com/...s-be-with-you/

Bantha Concept Artwork
    Can you imagine what the commercials would have been like? "Bantha!....Bantha, Bantha, Bantha!!"Of course, Kenner never did make a Bantha toy for their original Star Wars line, a tragedy which they later made up for with their fine POTF2 effort. This Bantha concept art, part of a Kenner presentation of post-Power of the Force toy ideas, depicts the Tusken Raider mount just as we always envisioned it, and proves conclusively that the toy made it to at least the early conceptual stages.
    It is interesting to note that this drawing dates from around 1985, some 8 years after the last Bantha appeared in a Star Wars film. Apparently, Kenner's ideas for a line extension were not focused solely on non-movie concepts, such as Atha Prime and his Clone Warriors, but took in favorite characters and creatures that had not previously been released by Kenner. This Bantha illustrates the latter, as does the presence in the presentation material of Grand Moff Tarkin.
    This did not represent the first time that the company considered making a Bantha toy though. In fact, they had been thinking about the possibility from the earliest days of the Star Wars line. Fox and Kenner even filed a trademark for the name and provided the US government with a nice little logo for the proposed toy.

As you can see by the 1978 date on the paperwork, Kenner was considering releasing a Bantha toy for quite some time. It was among the first trademarks they helped file, in fact. Fox and Kenner registered a trademark for the Bantha toy before they registered a trademark on Luke Skywalker toys. But ultimately, they never released it.
    Much of the information regarding the Bantha concept, as well as the existence of other unproduced conceptual material, was first brought to light by collecting guru, Steve Sansweet, who covered these concepts and prototypes in issue #2 of Star Wars Galaxy Magazine.
    Description by: Ron Salvatore, Thomas Garvey
    From the collection of: Anonymous
    Film: Star Wars Saga (1986-2007)
    Licensee: Kenner
    Year: 1995
    Category: Prototypes / Product Concepts
    Last edited by darth_stranger; 09-18-2019 at 09:27 PM. Reason: Added link

I concur, the photo is a fake. Ask yourself this question: why is a prototype from 1985 wearing a saddle that came out with the 1998 POTF2 Bantha?

Aside from all that, is a Bantha something people would be seriously interested in? Because at least that seems more doable than of of the other outlandwish lists. lol

I wouldn't buy one, but I'm sure it has appeal to someone.
    Looking for:R3-H17, L3-37
    Sale List, Trade List, Non SW trades & Feedback

Page 216 of 235 FirstFirst ... 116166206214215216217218226 ... LastLast