Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: An interesting analogy

An interesting analogy

**POSSIBLE MILD SPOILER**

I see from the product images that this shiny new Falcon will have removable panels that reveal our beloved OT vehicle below them.

So basically a brand new shiny thing is being sold to us for the short term gain, but scratch the surface and it is throwaway, flimsy and built upon the shallow foundation of something that is loved and was built to last.

Just saying, Disney
    Last edited by darthsatan; 02-15-2018 at 01:47 PM.
    May you live in interesting times.

it's been done.

"Is there anyone on this ship, who even remotely, looks like Satan?" -- James Kirk, U.S.S. Enterprise.

That's progression/regression tough, as it has always been done. It shows the evolution of tech and vehicles over the Saga, not hiding wolf in sheep's clothing if you will. While i don't hate the new look of the Falcon, making it try to appeal to older Fans by hiding a familiar look underneath isn't really needed. Try making it appeal to the audience it's intended for, and expand on that. Put some cool features in it etc. Not Nostalgic compartments to snooker someone into buying it. lol

As I said in a another thread, this could have been better IMO.
    Looking for:R3-H17, L3-37
    Sale List, Trade List, Non SW trades & Feedback

Good call Cobalt.

And yes Masterfett, but it also conveniently ignores that Falcon-type vehicle which is seen onscreen in ROTS.

The point I am making however is not one of nitpicking film details but that of a global observation of the shallowness of the corporate overseers and how in this instance it is directly reflected in their art. It speaks more of the ST in fact when regarded with this in mind.

I don't mind the look of the Falcon if this movie is set before ROTS but I highly doubt that with all the Empire troopers etc, the Falcon in ROTS was said to be Lando/Han's Falcon. I can accept different paint markings etc but an extra part at the front needs some explaining. I hope it's like a pod or something which is what they tried or were going to try with a mini rig type vehicle back in the day (can't remember if they ever did make the toy that attaches in the same spot atm)

Quote Originally Posted by Cobalt60 View Post
    it's been done.

Quick question, I too saw the clone wars y wing as the original intended look of the y wing with the cover panels in place. But...after looking at pics of the toy, it appears to be a slightly different version of the y wing. Are the OT y wing and clone wars y wing two different vehicles completely? There are structural differences that don’t seem to be explained by the covers being attached.

Everyone seems to have glossed over darthsatan’s quite cheeky— and very on-point analogy, and dove right for the literal makeover of these ships instead. What a hive of true nerds LOL

I’m not around here much, so forgive me if I’ve missed some points, but I got the impression that you were rather fond of this Sequel…? Have you had a change of heart?

BTW, don’t know if it’s common knowledge around here, but there’s been rumblings of accusations that Rian ripped off a well-known fanfic writer with his outline for TLJ. Apparently, the fanfic writer had her story up and online right after TFA, and before Rian was given the directorial reigns for TLJ. The similarities do seem alarmingly too close to be dismissed as just coincidence… TLJ always reeked of unpolished fanfic when it veered from copying the OT, so this revelation/coincidence does seem possible. There are generous postings of this topic on YouTube. Here's just one; I’ve always enjoyed her views since she always comes off as an observant, logical and still well-informed fan— and not just raving and swearing cuz Kathy and Rian ruined her childhood:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s3dxcTET64g

So yes yes and yes: Throwaway, flimsy and shallow sums up every component of this Sequel to a T.

ehhh, a 69 mustang sure don't look like the 99 mustang. the MF Solo compared to the ROTS cameo is for sure an interesting concern. Canon dictates the Stellar Envoy was all but destroyed over Nar Shaada and rebuilt, resold all that jazz so they seem to have it covered.
    Last edited by jpolli666; 02-16-2018 at 02:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by farmer View Post
    Everyone seems to have glossed over darthsatan’s quite cheeky— and very on-point analogy, and dove right for the literal makeover of these ships instead. What a hive of true nerds LOL

I’m not around here much, so forgive me if I’ve missed some points, but I got the impression that you were rather fond of this Sequel…? Have you had a change of heart?

BTW, don’t know if it’s common knowledge around here, but there’s been rumblings of accusations that Rian ripped off a well-known fanfic writer with his outline for TLJ. Apparently, the fanfic writer had her story up and online right after TFA, and before Rian was given the directorial reigns for TLJ. The similarities do seem alarmingly too close to be dismissed as just coincidence… TLJ always reeked of unpolished fanfic when it veered from copying the OT, so this revelation/coincidence does seem possible. There are generous postings of this topic on YouTube. Here's just one; I’ve always enjoyed her views since she always comes off as an observant, logical and still well-informed fan— and not just raving and swearing cuz Kathy and Rian ruined her childhood:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s3dxcTET64g

So yes yes and yes: Throwaway, flimsy and shallow sums up every component of this Sequel to a T.

...huh. That's interesting, I hadn't heard that rumor. I actually have mentioned to a few people that the force tug of war with Luke/Anakin's saber in the middle reminded me of something a 15 year old would have put in a fan fiction.

Maybe RJ took a page from Joss Whedon's book and copied some nobody (albeit whedon usually copies GOOD stuff initially and then ruins it himself) and will just buy them out if a big enough stink is raised.

Quote Originally Posted by farmer View Post
    Everyone seems to have glossed over darthsatan’s quite cheeky— and very on-point analogy.....I got the impression that you were rather fond of this Sequel…?
    Thank you for 'getting it'!

Re: TLJ I personally place it as the worst SW film with nevertheless a few redeeming scenes. It made me look again at TFA (which I did enjoy a lot) and realise just how thin the Disney ST veneer really is.

I even went back to re-watch Looper, which I remember being OK at the time of release, and discover that it certainly doesn't merit a repeat viewing. I really hope this business of Disney giving RJ a trilogy was pre-release hot air to up the hype in favour of their shareholders. Given that the 'professional' critics are all in their pocket it is certainly possible at least.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast