Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Han Solo W/Force Link 2.0 Starter Pack

Quote Originally Posted by Billy_Ray View Post
    That's impossible, because the metric ton of TLJ ones that didn't sell are still on the shelves here in San Antonio
    Heh.

Also, it would be a literal impossibility to get product back from the shelves, remove it from packaging, send it to the factory to be repainted, then repacked in new boxes and re-shipped to stores. That ain't how it works.

Quote Originally Posted by Lance_Quazar View Post
    Heh.

Also, it would be a literal impossibility to get product back from the shelves, remove it from packaging, send it to the factory to be repainted, then repacked in new boxes and re-shipped to stores. That ain't how it works.
    You don't say.

Heh.

Pretty sure he was kidding...

Quote Originally Posted by HothHan View Post
    Pretty sure he was kidding...
    Evidently. But I've learned not to overestimate the intelligence of the posters on this board.

Evidently. But I've learned not to overestimate the intelligence of the posters on this board.
    Well thank goodness we've got you around to explain what's what to the rest of the unwashed masses.

Quote Originally Posted by DarthPete View Post
    Well thank goodness we've got you around to explain what's what to the rest of the unwashed masses.
    Happy to help.

I'm not totally convinced that the voice clip data is stored in the Force Link gauntlets. Does anyone remember CommTech? Because it was similar technology, but not quite as miniaturized as Force Link. And the was the Force Link tech works required Hasbro to get clearances from the FCC before it could go on the market. So there is some kind of wireless data transfer occurring between the chip and the Force Link device. Does the chip in the figure trigger a pre-loaded audio clip in the Force Link device, or is it transferring that clip via the data link? That seems to be the question here.

Obviously we can't test out whether SOLO figures are going to be compatible with the TLJ Force Link device (or vice versa) until some are on the market, we can see some kind of demo, or we get some sort of official word from Hasbro.

Personally, I'm not crazy about buying lots of these devices at a premium for a figure that's not available elsewhere. The Force Link tech isn't that appealing to me. But from a technology standpoint I am curious to learn more about how Force Link works.

The chip is obviously in the figure. The tech in the gauntlet just activates it. That's how a 2.0 gauntlet can work with a 1.0 figure but not vice versa.

No edit: The Force Link gimmick is not all that different than what Jakks did 18 years ago with the WWF Titantron playset. The figures had a "chip" and the playset activated the chip. Matter of fact it was discovered that you could actually go to Radio Shack and buy transmitters for under $1 each that worked on the playset. Different transmitters matched specific characters - it just took some trial and error to figure out the right combinations. Essentially you could buy the transmitter and use the playset with a figure that wasn't "Titantron Ready" (in this case Force Link compatible).

There's an RFID chip in the toys that unlocks pre-loaded audio on the gauntlet. Only difference with 2.0 is that the gauntlets can use bluetooth to talk to each other and update the pre-loaded audio.

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast