Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Solo - character saturation.

Solo - character saturation.

Firstly, I'm not looking to start a slanging match and this is my own opinion.

I don't know if I'm in the minority here, but does anyone else think that they are going to far with these movies?? I feel that 'Solo' is going this way. It takes away the imagination aspect of Solo's personality. When I was younger, I used to imagine I was Han and would do things that I would imagine he would do. Look at what the PT did with Obi and Yoda, it just doesnt sit right with me. I think the biggest lure of the OT was imagination and really feel is though they are saturating Star Wars now.

I understand 100% at there are many that will love the movies, but for me its more damaging at anything else.
    Vintage toys ,prop and autograph collector and Luton Town FC supporter.
    Also try to play guitar with the guy in my avatar as an inspiration!
    JASON BECKER STILL THE BEST EVER AND STILL HERE DESPITE A.L.S.

Itís not just Solo-saturationó itís Star Wars-saturation.

But what was anyone expecting when the biggest entertainment corporation on Earth owned Star WarsÖ???? Of course itís in their corporate-nature to exploit the franchise to beyond the max until it's no longer profitable. And this is a entertainment corporation thatís built their empire for remaking classic fairy tales, not for original content, nor risk. If anyone was expecting Disney to purchase the SW brand only to preserve its legacy, then that person has to be the most naive entity in al the worlds. Thatís just not what Disney is about at all. They exploit for profit.

Itís not all badÖ RO is one of the strongest showing of a SW story Iíve ever experienced. I have no opinion yet of Solo as a wholeó but from what Iíve seen so far, itís very generic at best. Hereís hoping. This supposed Rian trilogy is not likely going to happen. D&Dís ďseriesĒ could just be Disney testing the market's reaction to that possible investment. Itís definitely marketing research at this point-- and why wouldnít they exploit the interweb to gauge the reaction to all these possible projects? They risk the least on their investments this way.

The one positive outcome from this D&D ďseriesĒ could very well be the most adult-oriented SW offering. Their GOT at its best, is extremely riveting with its bland of fantasy action sets and literary references intriguing social-poltiical maneuvering, and complex characterizations that are at once monolithic and relatable. Thereís a solid Russian film called Viking that came out in 2016 based loosely on the historical Vlad The Great. The look, mood and tone of this film, mixed with the GOT aesthetic and along with its story-weaving, set in a time of KOTOR, would be bombastically ideal and visionary if done by D&D at their best (when they actually seemed to care about the GOT world).

Here's hoping.

I actually felt very strongly that way about the prequels. Which could be why I like TPM the best of PT. It doesn't really touch on too much that was mentioned in the OT.

But I see what you're saying _Lee_ and I tend to agree. That said, while I'm agreeing with my right hand my left is held open saying "please may I haz a more star wars please." I hope Solo is good, but yeah, filling in every nook and cranny of SW lore and backstory does take something away from it.

The flip side of that though, is I'm not sure how well it would work if they went any other way. Like if they went too far afield from the OT or even PT they run the 'risk' of making some generic sci fi movie that just happens to take place in the same galaxy and bares the moniker of Star Wars (IN B4 everyone makes a joke about the new films being that already LULZ!). And I say that in so much as the audience reaction I could imagine being "What is this? Who are these people? Where are they? What does this have to do with SW?"

Star Wars is an interesting beast if you think about it. Comic Book Movies, or Movies based on novel series' (LOTR, Hunger Games, Harry Potter) they all have that pre-constructed framework of another medium to work off of. The backstories, etc are already established. Star Wars just kind of webs out from the OT.

It's not religion. You won't be burned at the stake or stoned or excommunicated and suffer eternal damnation if you simply check out of SW at any point. You can pick and choose which bits of make believe are most real to you and discard the rest. Disney can make whatever shows or films they will, but to me it's all just fan fiction backed by money beyond the six films Lucas put out.

But the key to happiness is not in worrying about it. Short of buying Disney, none of us can change the course SW is taking. So enjoy it, say "no thanks" to the lot of it, pick and choose, whatever you will. But remember, it's just entertainment and no matter what the Mouse does, the sun will rise in the morning, beer will still be there to enjoy, and Spring Training kicks off this week.

IMHO, I don't think it's saturation. It's simply lackluster story telling! There have been more Marvel movies than SW, and I'm no where near close to being uninterested in seeing more. Sure some of them aren't as appealing or thrilling, but they're not even close to being dismal attempts by TFA and TLJ.

Rogue One is one good movie, despite me wanting them to move past the OT era. Go figure. Han Solo is still YTD, but if it delivers like R1. It will tell them not to leave this era so fast, and to focus on more main characters. Which I'm not really into. I think once weget over the ST, they can make good movies from good Directors.
    Looking for:R3-H17, L3-37
    Sale List, Trade List, Non SW trades & Feedback

honestly I think they should have held off on the whole "episode" thing. in the marvel universe, they spent some time world-building with stand-alone features, before they gave us the tentpole 'Avengers' movie.
    with SW they seem obligated to give us the tentpole first, with nothing to prop it up -- and the stand-alone movies are secondary considerations, which have nothing to do with their 'tentpole'.
    I mean.. if R1 is directly connected to TFA (like ironman to avengers) then I can't see it -- add a han solo movie, and it ALL seems pretty random. each one is a shot in the dark. disparate from the rest.

I would like to see a tapestry of movies, each one connected to the next, like the MCU. all leading towards their "tentpole" (which was a sequel to five different movies at once, in the case of MCU).
    so far the 'anthology' movies are NOT serving to support the tentpole movie, like the MCU; those tentpole "episode" movies are standing alone, separate from the rest of the offerings, with nothing to prop them up or support them (save comic books).

personally, I can't wait until the 'saga' is over and we can move on from Rey and Finn and all the useless characters of the ST which we will never see again after their 3-movie-deal is over. what a waste of screentime.
    I hope they NEVER revisit the "ST era" again after IX , and we never see these characters again. there's only ONE movie left with these characters -- only 140 minutes left, before we see the backside of Finn and Poe -- it can't end soon enough. IMO
    Last edited by Cobalt60; 02-11-2018 at 02:27 AM.
    "Is there anyone on this ship, who even remotely, looks like Satan?" -- James Kirk, U.S.S. Enterprise.

Quote Originally Posted by Cobalt60 View Post
    tentpole

tentpole

'tentpole'

"tentpole"

tentpole

tentpole
    That's an awful lot of tentpoles.

I agree with your assessment of the Sequel Trilogy. If they abandoned that timeline completely after Ep9 and we never got anymore stories told in that era, then I wouldn't really mind at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Masterfett View Post
    Rogue One is one good movie, despite me wanting them to move past the OT era. Go figure. Han Solo is still YTD, but if it delivers like R1. It will tell them not to leave this era so fast, and to focus on more main characters. Which I'm not really into. I think once weget over the ST, they can make good movies from good Directors.
    I'm actually just the opposite when it comes to the OT era. There were so many rich storytelling elements hinted at in the OT, that I think they could make a few more films within that timeline (that have nothing to do with Luke, Han, or Leia) before they run out of material. When the stories start straying too far from that OT timeline, is when I find that I lose interest pretty quickly.

Still I wouldn't mind a post-Ep3 Obi-Wan movie, because he seemed to know his way around Tatooine pretty well in ANH, so it's clear that he didn't just hang out in his hut staring at the walls for 20 years. I'd even accept the idea that he left the planet occassionally for brief periods of time.
    Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split. - Robert E. Howard

I don't dislike the OT era, I just don't want them to get "stuck/trapped" there. I agree that there's a lot of story opportunities to be told still, without the continued "obligatory" Vader appearances. etc. If he all he becomes useful for, is to help sell a Movie because the studio who doesn't feel it's strong enough w/o it.
    Then I think it's a disservice to that characters. Same way I felt about the two Droids popping up in every movie.
    Looking for:R3-H17, L3-37
    Sale List, Trade List, Non SW trades & Feedback

bottom line-don't watch 'em then, but-we know that will never happen. Funny how some fans treat SW films like child support nowadays, such a bother, can't wait till it ends.

Quote Originally Posted by jpolli666 View Post
    bottom line-don't watch 'em then, but-we know that will never happen. Funny how some fans treat SW films like child support nowadays, such a bother, can't wait till it ends.
    I thought that the Han Solo movie might be the first Star Wars movie that I skipped in theaters, but I saw enough in the trailer to pique my interest and will most likely go and see it. If newer films start straying too far away from the OT familiarity, then I might start to skip the theatrical releases.

However, I don't pay money to see movies that I expect to hate. Paying real money to see a movie that you are already predetermined to hate is pure stupidity, IMO. Do people just not have better things to do with their time and money? I generally don't like the theatrical experience at all, so if I am paying for a ticket and taking time out of my day to go to the theater, then I will only do that if I genuinely hope to enjoy the movie.
    Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split. - Robert E. Howard

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast