Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Lando Calrissian & Kessel Guard 2pack

I picked up this set at Target. I can't help but think of Andre 2000 singing Hey Ya when I look at Lando, odd looking figure. I like the Kessel Guard and cannon though. Very similar to the ESB Radar Laser Cannon mini rig.

Nice looking set - this is one of the few Han Solo SW figure sets I'll be picking up; the Lando looks solid, and the Kessel Guard looks fantastic - very cool armor/costume. Also like the inclusion of the cool little laser cannon. You're right, this reminds me of the Laser Cannon that the Snowtroopers almost used against the Falcon in ESB (also made as a toy in the original Vintage Kenner SW line, and also included in a newer Hoth set from 200X).

I've avoided spoilers for the new film (so far), but it seems obvious that "Kessel" is probably the same planet/area that C3-PO is referring to re: the "Spice Mines of Kessel" from ANH. I also remember that these "Spice Mines" were included in a storyline in one of the Jedi Academy SW EU novels from the '90's, by Kevin J. Anderson. However, I know those books aren't "canon" anymore.

I have 3 of these sets (Basically for the Guard.) the Lando is cool but I'm not getting a Billy Dee Williams vibe from him yet. hopefully this will change after seeing the movie.
    Longing for the Good Old Kenner Days where SW Figures were in great supply and everyone was able to find their favorite characters etc..... Hasbro you need to follow this example ! Twitter: @SWChamp
    http://forum.rebelscum.com/t1055416/

You're right, this younger actor doesn't look much like a young BDW; but then, the actor playing Han Solo doesn't remind me of a young Harrison Ford either. However, despite this I'll try to judge the movie on it's own merits. It does look decent (based on the trailers), and it looks like it will have some nice Easter Eggs/homages to the OT; or, at least references made in the OT.

Quote Originally Posted by ThallJoben View Post

I've avoided spoilers for the new film (so far), but it seems obvious that "Kessel" is probably the same planet/area that C3-PO is referring to re: the "Spice Mines of Kessel" from ANH. I also remember that these "Spice Mines" were included in a storyline in one of the Jedi Academy SW EU novels from the '90's, by Kevin J. Anderson. However, I know those books aren't "canon" anymore.
    I assumed Kessel guard referred to the Kessel Run that the Falcon made in less than 12 parsecs. But now reading this, I just realized that the run shares the same name with the spice mines. I've never picked up on that before.

I bought this set today too, mainly for the young Lando. My second Solo figure pick up along with Qi'ra.

Just picked this up today. Great set! The real stand-out for me is the Kessel guard, but the Lando is a good figure as well. I also like the inclusion of the mini-laser cannon. This is a cool add-on, and does add value to the set.

Here's some more info. on the Kessel Run & the Spice Mines of Kessel:

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Kessel_Run/Legends

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Spice_mines_of_Kessel

Was in Wal-Mart this morning and saw this line for the first time on the shelves. Looks like this set might not be selling fast, along with Kira (sp), Chewie, and the obvious repacks. Definitely will be wanting this set, but I'm probably going to wait until money isn't so tight and see if I can pick them all up in one shot on hts.

Seems like the outfit is kinda modeled on Chimwe's oddly, minus the butcher's apron and weird blocky helmet. I do get some Mustafar Lava Miner feels along with some old Kenner EU designs, but its not a set that is particularly cool and will struggle. The heavy guns are good for dios though. 5poa really is hurting Star Wars figures.

Quote Originally Posted by Vorax View Post
    Seems like the outfit is kinda modeled on Chimwe's oddly, minus the butcher's apron and weird blocky helmet. I do get some Mustafar Lava Miner feels along with some old Kenner EU designs, but its not a set that is particularly cool and will struggle. The heavy guns are good for dios though. 5poa really is hurting Star Wars figures.
    Not sure how this will sell, but I personally really like this set & feel it definitely stands out among the other SW toys that are out there now. Even though I'm not collecting most of the Han Solo toys, I did get this due to the cool visual appearance of these two characters, and the addition of the cool laser gun.

I like this set for a couple of things. Unfortunately, Lando is not one of them. I think he deserves a single carded release. The likeness is okay, but the figure seems a little lackluster. I think Lando deserves better. And hopefully there's going to be a SOLO version of Lando released in the TVC line.

But what is good about this set? First, the Kessel Guard. Definitely an interesting design, and I'm looking forward to seeing this character in the movie. The lack of articulation is a disappointment, but it is what it is after this many years of Hasbro doing the 5POA thing with figures.

Second, the cannon accessory. I think it's fair to say that over the past 3 years collectors have been reasonably vocal when it comes to the value added pack-in accessories. I got the concept behind them for the TFA line, but the finished product was awful for the most part. In the ROGUE ONE line we got oversize firing weapons. Again, not something cool. They seemed to completely avoid the concept in the TLJ line except for the figure 2-packs, but those were kind of lame, too. But here? This cannon looks like a practical accessory, a lot like some of the E-web cannons that we got going as far back as the POTF2 line. The same goes for the accessory that's packed in the upcoming 2-pack with the muddy version of Han Solo.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast