Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: My Pop-Up Playsets

My Pop-Up Playsets

Hey guys. I haven't posted in a while, but I've been plenty busy...

I have been making (amongst other stuff) these Pop-Up Playsets since the summer. So far I have four in the line. The design philosophy is to use nothing but printed cardstock. The concept is to bring to life more of the fun Kenner cardboard playsets I loved as a kid in the 70s and 80s. In fact, I started with a challenge to myself to update my favorite, the Sears Cloud City Playset, with new illustrations.

That one was basically just a test to see if I could pull off a 3D playset design and make it work. I liked it enough to move on to the next. It seemed to me the "Jedha Revolt" Gift Pack was exactly what we would have been given from Sears in the catalog last Christmas, if that sort of thing still existed, and of course it would have come with a great cardboard playset. I tasked myself with making that playset next:

I really liked this one, so I decided to keep going. The next challenge was to build the set that I wished Kenner had made when I was a kid, and the biggest hole in the toy line back then (to me) was the fact that there was no Emperor's Throne Room playset. I started, but I couldn't figure out all the engineering adequately, especially a staircase (it had to have a staircase!) and so I gave up. Instead, I went with a Niima Outpost/Unkar Plutt's Booth playset:

This one was easy and not much new to me (the biggest engineering bump I made is the riser that Unkar stands on--and you can't even see when the set is assembled--being made out of a single folded piece of cardstock.) It left me itching to pull off the Throne Room set. So I went back at it, and finally solved it:

This one is my favorite yet, I love that it is mass-producible on cardstock but is strong enough to support everybody on that second level. And the stairs worked great (and again that's just one piece of folded cardstock.)

More designs will be on the way...I want to tackle a Hoth Command Center (like the vintage playset, but the actual Echo Base command center where Rieekan and Leia hung out) and Cantina alcoves (making those modular so you can set up several beside each other) and, and, and...

Those are really awesome. Playable and displayable!!

I like Jeddah and love the Throne room. Can the Pillars be round? And then have the hanging control stations or is that to elaborate?

Awesome work. Also, apparently I've had your sellers page on ebay bookmarked for quite some time now.

No matter what medium you work in, Muftak, your creations are astoundingly good! What a warm fuzzy I got seeing these as you imagined them, in the Sears catalog at Christmas *sheds nostalgic tear*
    Please read my version of the Star Wars prequels and let me know what you think!

Check out the Rebelscum Custom Dioramas Index!

Quote Originally Posted by Utinniii View Post
    Those are really awesome. Playable and displayable!!
    Thanks! Many, many years ago a forum poster used the term "DisPlaySets" and I so wish I had thought of that! I would never steal it, but I wish I could name my stuff that!

I like Jeddah and love the Throne room. Can the Pillars be round? And then have the hanging control stations or is that to elaborate?
    The pillars could have been round, I chose square more for distribution reasons. I can curl the cardstock no problem and get the circle I'm looking for, but shipping them to someone (in a flat mailer) and then hoping the curl held or that they can get it right is a gamble. Better to give them something with embossed folds that they can set up easy.

I had a hard time letting go of having the two big control stations (and the throne) on the raised platform, but there was simply no room at this size. I even stopped calling it "the Emperor's Throne Room" and switched to "the Final Duel" since there was going to be no throne! Maybe after this edition is sold out I will go back and do a bigger "deluxe" version including the rest of the set dressing.

Quote Originally Posted by DarthPete View Post
    Awesome work. Also, apparently I've had your sellers page on ebay bookmarked for quite some time now.
    Thank you. And thanks for the eBay follow. I cannot believe how blessed I have been with making a business of this stuff. On a creative level, the instant feedback of selling something out or watching it struggle has been very interesting and has definitely affected my process.

Quote Originally Posted by Daigo_Bah View Post
    No matter what medium you work in, Muftak, your creations are astoundingly good! What a warm fuzzy I got seeing these as you imagined them, in the Sears catalog at Christmas *sheds nostalgic tear*
    Thanks. I remember starting out to make my first dioramas and looking at some of your stuff (2002-3 era) as top inspiration. I mean, I still shake my head thinking about your Aunt Beru's kitchen diorama.

After I built my own display shelves (ten years ago? Ouch!) I was hit with so many requests to replicate them, but often ran into the stumbling block of price (which came with the time involved in hand-building, painting, etc) which led to trying to solve the problem of making reproducible displays and playsets. The last two years I have been putting my solutions to the test, with great results and feedback!

So how can I follow you on Ebay to see when sets are available. Love the look.

You can have "DezPlaySets" if you want!

Oh yes, can you give us a link? I may need a couple of these, especially for some vintage figures!!
    Please read my version of the Star Wars prequels and let me know what you think!

Check out the Rebelscum Custom Dioramas Index!

Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast