Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 311121314 LastLast

Thread: My Pop-Up Playsets

They look great. Instant modular playsets.
    Have you ever tried printing on black cardstock? It would hide the seams better. (I've never tried it myself so I don't know if it works.)

Quote Originally Posted by SpectreOne View Post
    I love the evolution of your style! Making the playsets even more dynamic with attached rooms is a great idea and I'm all for making things connectable. The details on your graphics are astounding to say the least. All those discs in the superlaser control room for instance - this kind of thing really makes the playsets pop. The interchangeable cards for the death star are a grea idea!

I'm looking forward for more
    Thanks, man! The interchangeable card idea I used on my first Death Star diorama back in 2003...

And I have always been fascinated by the "wall of a thousand dials" in the Superlaser Control Room, so it had to be in my version!

Quote Originally Posted by Utinniii View Post
    They look great. Instant modular playsets.
    Have you ever tried printing on black cardstock? It would hide the seams better. (I've never tried it myself so I don't know if it works.)
    I haven't, but I can't imagine it would be possible without a specialty printer, since normal printers don't have a white toner or ink cartridge. Printing programs leave white areas as blank (that I can confirm from having printed on acetate to make the clear parts of viewscreens.)

I used to take the time to hit seams and edges with a Sharpie (or even a paint marker to color-match the print) but I've gotten lazy and unapologetic over the cardstock basis for these things. If the end user wants to do that, it is their option and I have suggested it to people who've been worried about it.

This is simply awesome. I love it, glad you are back at it and worked through one of the things customizers and dio makers sometimes suffer through with a bit of burnout. Keep at it.
    " what is to gain by partaking in a thread that does not concern/interest you. Say I pass and move on it's that simple" MasterFett-Bastila Shan thread-2-14-11

Thanks yodashizzle. It was 50% burnout and 50% too much on my plate. Trying to even that out these days.

I went back to the classic template to do a tribute to "The Phantom Menace." It is my first prequel playset. Design and engineering wise this really broke no new ground, but it was fun getting the background image and the base image for the iconic scene...

I had two different backgrounds for this that I couldn't decide between for the longest time. I went with the one above more because of the symmetry of the plasma columns and how it matched up better to the image on the base. This other background I will probably use for a 6-inch Black Series version down the road:

Thanks for looking!

Awesome work as always, Muftak! And I really dig your Tantive IV and Overbridge, as well. The new Tarkin looks great with it! Any plans to return to Vader's Castle in the near future *wink wink*? Seriously though it's always good to see more of your work!

Quote Originally Posted by Darth_Sceptaurus View Post
    Awesome work as always, Muftak! And I really dig your Tantive IV and Overbridge, as well. The new Tarkin looks great with it! Any plans to return to Vader's Castle in the near future *wink wink*? Seriously though it's always good to see more of your work!
    Thanks! Vader's Castle totally burned me out with all the little details, plus it was going to use some engineering that I hadn't done before, and have been able to work the kinks out of in some other designs beforehand. I will go back to it someday, but it got shelved when my time got short. Right now I'm elbows-deep in building a Docking Bay 94 backdrop display made to be compatible with the '08 BMF as my next "big playset." As for these pop-up playsets, I think the next will be a Mos Eisely alleyway...

Hey, you ever need a sounding board let me know.

Just in case you have never seen this, here is the Mos Eisley stage plan.

The design is quite clever. Essentially, after selling his speeder, Luke walked towards DB 94, turned left, left again (street with sitting woman, also where the droids hid), left (where Garnidin talked to the troopers) and finally another left to the DB 94 doorway.

You could totally make this modular.

Quote Originally Posted by Utinniii View Post
    Hey, you ever need a sounding board let me know.

Just in case you have never seen this, here is the Mos Eisley stage plan.

The design is quite clever. Essentially, after selling his speeder, Luke walked towards DB 94, turned left, left again (street with sitting woman, also where the droids hid), left (where Garnidin talked to the troopers) and finally another left to the DB 94 doorway.

You could totally make this modular.
    That's great, thanks man! I can look at that and see exactly how to cut it up into three sets with simple 3D back walls that can combine into a large (and scene-accurate, if not screne-accurate) area. This has really gotten me excited about the next step.

Quote Originally Posted by Muftak View Post
    Thanks! Vader's Castle totally burned me out with all the little details, plus it was going to use some engineering that I hadn't done before, and have been able to work the kinks out of in some other designs beforehand. I will go back to it someday, but it got shelved when my time got short. Right now I'm elbows-deep in building a Docking Bay 94 backdrop display made to be compatible with the '08 BMF as my next "big playset." As for these pop-up playsets, I think the next will be a Mos Eisely alleyway...
    I completely understand, man. Working the kinds of hours we work makes it difficult to take on big projects like that. When I finish my DS, my next project will be very small, comparatively speaking And a Docking Bay 94 for the BMF would be sweet! If you end up doing one of those, hit me up and I'll get one for sure.

Street layout.

Just for giggles, here is how I figured out the set. I was discussing it in a group and only after I figured everything out, someone gave me the plans. It was still fun to figure out though.

Luke leaves the Speeder lot

They turn a corner. The pails and plant on the wall are good markers

They enter this street. The vaporator bottom makes another good reference.

The vent and round thing in the front show the corner.

This intersection is where Garnidin talks to the troopers. It is the Speeder lot on the right.

Finally, home again, home again, gigy-gig.

nd a tiny map that had all the doors drawn.

A

Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 311121314 LastLast