Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Rian Johnson's Star Wars Trilogy

maybe they want it totally new, excluding any KOTOR/TOR, I'd be surprised honestly if they tap those tales.... but yeah I havent looked again, but it seemed clear it was to be all new trilogy w/ new stories & characters, the Skywalker stories are done, but do they mean done as not continuing as X?, but still an awareness of their relevance in it all? time will tell, a year will tell us alot. Is the next spin off stand alone KENOBI?
    Last edited by jpolli666; 11-11-2017 at 04:39 PM.

I think they'll go a side story where some characters maybe introduced in Ep9 and it'll just off shoot from the main episode numbered trilogy and be its own thing, they could still do ep10-12 with all stories taking place at the same time..

I love the idea of a new trilogy, especially if it's KotoR. However, a trilogy by Rian Johnson? I'm not so sure. One of our greatest pop culture icons, Han Solo...has already been brushed off in the most ignominious of ways. Carrie Fisher is lost to us now, with Leia most like to be killed off in the TLJ. And Luke Skywalker? Rian Johnson appears to have taken the other of our great pop-cultural icons and gutted him, turning Luke from wizened Jedi Master, to a sulky, paranoid old man. He's totally bereft of any of the growth and maturity he gained in ROTJ, and he looks to be so much less of a man and Jedi than Obi-wan was.

So...unless it's all misdirection, Let's just say I'm not at all excited to see what RJ will do with a clean slate. Which brings up my other concern; Star Wars has lost all it's creativity.

Every post-Lucas SW film has been at best derivative, and at worst an outright rip (TFA). TFA gave us blue X-Wings, Black Tie-fighters, stupid looking 'Duck-in-Shades' Storm Troopers, and no cool looking Side characters or aliens. TLJ is doing the same. The ships look lame and uninteresting. The Hoth battle is being ripped with bigger, clunkier, Ape-looking At-Ats and anorexic B-Wings fighting them. They're bringing back the A-Wing to boot too (not a bad thing in and of itself, but come on...there's supposed to be an evolution of design here).

Lastly, the lead villains look completely uninteresting. One of the key elements of Star Wars are icon looking villains. What do have so far? An old man in a bath robe, and a Darth Vader wannabe, who's not even really wearing his Darth Vader wannabe suit half the time (which does look kind of cool).

George Lucas, whatever one thinks about him, is a creative genius. His visions have given us the things that have endured. All Disney and their lackeys can do are imitate. What should have happened was Disney should have kept George Lucas involved. The Clone Wars cartoon had the right formula in having other people direct, with Lucas giving and modifying the designs and ideas. Excluding him the way they did is not only arrogance, it's already showing a fatal flaw. Like I said, all they can do is imitate AND over-saturate. Unless Disney gets him back on board, or gets a director with truly creative vision, then Star Wars is going to get old, and redundant.
    Last edited by WilloftheForce; 11-12-2017 at 01:32 PM.
    "Your focus determines your reality."

Quote Originally Posted by WilloftheForce View Post
    I love the idea of a new trilogy, especially if it's KotoR. However, a trilogy by Rian Johnson? I'm not so sure. One of our greatest pop culture icons, Han Solo...has already been brushed off in the most ignominious of ways. Carrie Fisher is lost to us now, with Leia most like to be killed off in the TLJ. And Luke Skywalker? Rian Johnson appears to have taken the other of our great pop-cultural icons and gutted him,...
    I stopped reading after this point....not in the mood to ponder and/or debate in the context of movies we haven't seen yet (including Last Jedi) and possibly even spoilers.... that said, if we take into consideration Han, Luke and Leia so much as it appears you have in reacting to this new trilogy news, then I feel we're missing the point of this new trilogy.

I too love the idea of a new trilogy. But only if a certain quantity of old school Star Wars stylistic things are in place. But clinging onto the value of Han, Luke and Leia? They are literally the ONLY verboten things within this new trilogy.

And the value of Han, Luke and Leia in this context?

Zero.

Now if you went on in your post to claim that Rian Johnson is "a hack that doesn't have the ability to create new iconic characters"... I'll take back my assumption on the direction your take... but, on the same token, if thattake WAS where you were going, I'd have to disagree with you.

I think Johnson has what it takes to create quality constructed new characters.... but, I'll know better come the TLJ premier.
    Last edited by BosskHasManners; 11-12-2017 at 02:48 PM.

A new trilogy not related to anything we have seen before is exactly what I want as a starwars fan!

new, creative, fresh ideas that don’t have to tie into anything in the 9 Skywalker movies will give lucasfilm a platform for for decades to come.

also if they carry on making the spin of movies every other year there’s still opertunities to make a Darth Vader movie, or a luke movie after ROTJ to satisfy the die hard Skywalker and OT fans, I thought R1 was incredible

Quote Originally Posted by WilloftheForce View Post
    I love the idea of a new trilogy, especially if it's KotoR. However, a trilogy by Rian Johnson? I'm not so sure. One of our greatest pop culture icons, Han Solo...has already been brushed off in the most ignominious of ways. Carrie Fisher is lost to us now, with Leia most like to be killed off in the TLJ. And Luke Skywalker? Rian Johnson appears to have taken the other of our great pop-cultural icons and gutted him, turning Luke from wizened Jedi Master, to a sulky, paranoid old man. He's totally bereft of any of the growth and maturity he gained in ROTJ, and he looks to be so much less of a man and Jedi than Obi-wan was.
    Feedback thread
    Don't need a somewhat newer jocular since the older legacy collection hypnosis arena two pack jocular is still great and thing is that do all attack of the Clones Jedi figures really need jedi robes?

Quote Originally Posted by Biggs79 View Post
    A new trilogy not related to anything we have seen before is exactly what I want as a starwars fan!

new, creative, fresh ideas that don’t have to tie into anything in the 9 Skywalker movies will give lucasfilm a platform for for decades to come.

also if they carry on making the spin of movies every other year there’s still opertunities to make a Darth Vader movie, or a luke movie after ROTJ to satisfy the die hard Skywalker and OT fans, I thought R1 was incredible
    I have to agree with the first part of this except the not related to 'anything' part. Star Wars has a certain aesthetic that makes it Star Wars. If you meant not related to any characters we've seen... I'd be ok with that, but we still need some recognizable pieces. I did a little homework on alien species in the different Star Wars movies and while you certainly see many differences from the OT to the PT to the ST, you see enough similarities in the George Lucas stuff to be interesting. The ST has Ackbar and Nien Nunb...

Let's face it though... it's all about the story and the characters. Look at stuff like Game of Thrones, Walking Dead, Stranger Things... it's the story and the characters that make the show.

While I am interested in a Kenobi movie if it stays on Tatooine and is more of a look into his time there and includes "scum and villainy" especially in the form of Jabba and his thugs and Tusken Raiders... ALL IN! If they decide they need to milk Darth Vader in a solo pic or even Boba Fett really... unless it's less about him and more about the bounty hunting game (like what they did with the bounty hunters guild in the old EU) then I don't really want to see it. The upcoming Han Solo movie might change my mind, but I highly doubt it.
    "The Marvel and Transformers team must share a lunch table.
    Star Wars must have sat with GI Joe team." ~ indysolo007

http://starwarslists.blogspot.com/

I hope the ceep Lucas Alien species in. Or else It will not feel like Star Wars.
    Amanaman
    Aqualish
    Askajian
    Bith
    Cerean
    Duros
    Gamorrean
    Givin
    Gotal
    Gran
    Iktotchi
    Ithorian
    Jawa
    Kel Dor
    Mon Calamari
    Qiraash
    Quarren
    Rodian
    Togruta
    Toydarian
    Tuskens
    Twi'lek
    Ugnaught
    Yarkora
    Zabrak
    Last edited by Oola; 11-13-2017 at 02:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by keknivek View Post
    I have to agree with the first part of this except the not related to 'anything' part. Star Wars has a certain aesthetic that makes it Star Wars. If you meant not related to any characters we've seen...

Let's face it though... it's all about the story and the characters. Look at stuff like Game of Thrones, Walking Dead, Stranger Things... it's the story and the characters that make the show.

While I am interested in a Kenobi movie if it stays on Tatooine and is more of a look into his time there and includes "scum and villainy" especially in the form of Jabba and his thugs and Tusken Raiders... ALL IN!

Yeh I meant characters, places and story arc, no more 3po comedy cameos, Skywalker s maybe even Empire and jedi, be very interesting to have a stand alone trilogy say like they planned to do with avatar, a self contained story that has the beaten in worn aesthetics that the starwars franchise has and a solid story at the core which Disney and Kathleen Kennedy are pros at. Also maybe time for John Williams to hand over to Hans zimmer? A kenobi movie I’d be interested as u described would be very cool, I think they could get that actor that looks like Mark Hamill to do a luke lost years story after jedi. I rekon solo will have jabba and Fett in it somewhere

Quote Originally Posted by Oola View Post
    I hope the keep Lucas Alien species in. Or else It will not feel like Star Wars.

I cut your list simply for space, but wanted to chime in as I feel your list was good but the list could be further thought out. Yes, species like Yarkora and Iktotchi are cool, but they are one and done so far in the universe we've seen onscreen. I would love to see more of any of the species we've see previously and that was one of the shortcomings of the Disney SW Universe. Even the seemingly very prevalent ones like the Twi'lek and Nikto weren't seen in TFA. And RO gave us some oddly grey Mon Calamari...

I'm really hoping they start mixing the old with the new more because I felt Maz's castle scene was severly lacking in recognizable characters. There were lots of new cool ones, but I watched multiple times and was disappointed I didn't see anything I knew... very different from how I watched the Boonta Eve crowd in Ep I and saw tons of recognizable species.
    "The Marvel and Transformers team must share a lunch table.
    Star Wars must have sat with GI Joe team." ~ indysolo007

http://starwarslists.blogspot.com/

Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast