Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Sheev Palpatine/Darth Sidious Anthology Film?

yeah it was a Boston Strong benefit horror prop/merch auction hosted by Adam Green a few years ago, Mick spoke and mentioned his dad was from Cambridge MA, etc. All the celebrity guests eventually mingled and signed and posed for free. I also spoke w/ him at length about Masters of Horror, and SK Sleepwalkers mostly. Ultimately I would be on board w/ a Palpatine film (well, I'd watch 3 if they made 'em) but like Obi, I just don't feel the trilogy vibe here, but again we just don't know what could happen.
    Last edited by jpolli666; 09-21-2017 at 10:50 AM.

That's really awesome. Boston Strong benefit sounds like a great event.

I agree a Palpatine film wouldn't work for a trilogy, but there is a lot of potential material there to play off of though. That said I thought the anthology films would basically be like one-off side adventure that wouldn't majorly impact the main saga trilogies. I don't even think Obi-Wan would work for a trilogy, and because Obi-Wan kept a low profile during the 18+ years after RotS I don't think/feel there is a whole lot of material there to work with until we got that episode from Rebels with Maul and Obi-Wan and then ANH of course which pulls him back into the fold. I thought it was a one-off anthology film like the Han Solo movie. I could've missed something there. I variant my time with my fandoms so it doesn't become stale and I can keep enjoying them through the good and bad.

I don't wanna imply it won't work, I just think it won't occur. It could work, Obi, Palp, Jabba-you name it-it could be achieved, but it's the business logic that comes into play I'd guess.... and besides what do you put in the EU books, comics etc where & when R2 had his rockets removed? The did give us the red arm story, LOL

All very true. I like the way the new EU is a bit more cohesive in their approach and is losing that whole "small galaxy" feeling Legends had. I still have my favorite Legends stories and characters though that I wish were still canon, but oh well. This was the only way it would work to keep adding films I feel and ensuring the least amount of overlap or contradictions. I do like my immersion and I feel it is a bit easier to get immersed in the continuity whereas there were twists, turns, and a lot more contradictions than before.
    Last edited by DarthTyrannosaur; 09-21-2017 at 12:21 PM.

How are they losing that "small galaxy" feeling? Everything release so far has all been connected, from a certain POV. So to me it's no different in that regard as what the old EU did.
    Looking for:R3-H17, L3-37
    Sale List, Trade List, Non SW trades & Feedback

Quote Originally Posted by DarthTyrannosaur View Post
    Heh. I didn't think you were, but I do feel the whole "tragic backstory" is a bit overplayed in some circles;.
    I suppose it's probably the easiest identified and argumentatively the most effective anti-to-protagonist conversion that audiences connect to on a cinematic level. Most notable examples, Anakin/Darth Vader or Norman Bates (henceforth the mention).

Anyways, Palpatine IMO represented the omnipotent evil encompassing the 'myth arc' (unlike 'story arc') of the entire SW Saga. Admittedly, the tragic villain concept would seem to be a bit redundant from an origins standpoint (as we have been presented with the Prequels which already illustrates this concept). But in a way, Palpatine can be perceived as a sort of 'knight templar' which is a kind of variant of the tragic villain concept. The 'myth arc' would likely be the ideals of the Sith and how Palpatine is tempted into the cause in order to end the corruption in the galaxy the way he perceived it.

Now on a fundamental basis (and side note), the origins of the Jedi/Sith was initially slated to become Episode I in the original Lucas storyline which likely would have involved a unified set of ideals of the understanding and practice of the Force before branching off into its notable factions.
    A special effect without a story is a pretty boring thing. -George Lucas

Quote Originally Posted by Masterfett View Post
    How are they losing that "small galaxy" feeling? Everything release so far has all been connected, from a certain POV. So to me it's no different in that regard as what the old EU did.
    Maybe it is an "eye of the beholder" type deal here. I just feel like we have a lot more new characters that are getting the focus instead of the core characters from the original trilogy of Han, Luke, Leia, Chewie, R2, 3PO, and sometimes Lando at the center. Simultaneously we're not getting the same old EU characters included in that lineup that are getting overshadowed by the OT core. Instead the OT core has taken more a side-character role where they still impact the larger story, but we're focused on the development and progression of the new characters altogether mostly. Simultaneously the old characters do get their moment to shine still too. So it feels oddly balanced and no one is shadowing over anyone else, at least in my opinion. That was why I like Rebels, TFA, and even Rogue One because the main saga characters don't steal the spotlight altogether as they are more nuanced in their inclusion when they are involved. Basically I feel it's a lot more complimentary and everybody has more of a chance to shine, progress, and develop. Like I said, probably an "eye of the beholder" dealio here though.

I know there's pros and cons with each system and each approach, but that's how it feels like we're losing that "small galaxy" feeling with the over reliance on the core characters to move the story ahead and them overshadowing everything. There's really nothing inherently wrong with the "small galaxy" feeling aside from the fact it can and does grow stale eventually, but that's more or less true in both directions from a story-telling standpoint. The alternative is the new characters can overshadow the older characters we've come to love. So it's like an odd catch-22 deal. I think we've got a good balance right now at least, but again that could be up to whoever's interpretation and tastes too. I can only comment for how I see and feel about things here.

Quote Originally Posted by Deak_Starkiller View Post
    Anyways, Palpatine IMO represented the omnipotent evil encompassing the 'myth arc' (unlike 'story arc') of the entire SW Saga. Admittedly, the tragic villain concept would seem to be a bit redundant from an origins standpoint (as we have been presented with the Prequels which already illustrates this concept). But in a way, Palpatine can be perceived as a sort of 'knight templar' which is a kind of variant of the tragic villain concept. The 'myth arc' would likely be the ideals of the Sith and how Palpatine is tempted into the cause in order to end the corruption in the galaxy the way he perceived it.

Now on a fundamental basis (and side note), the origins of the Jedi/Sith was initially slated to become Episode I in the original Lucas storyline which likely would have involved a unified set of ideals of the understanding and practice of the Force before branching off into its notable factions.
    Wow, it's funny you mention the "knight templar" approach because I was leaning towards that myself with Palpatine's back story in a round about way. Sort of like a "meaning well but doing evil to fight evil" approach which I think would be very effective and still allow him to be amoral, but also relatable too in a way as well. Funny thing I noticed yesterday was that ScreenRant had an ad I got on Facebook that kicked around James Franco as playing a young Palpatine. Can't say I am unhappy with the choice, but I found it neat that we're here talking about this and someone else is too. I hope it does eventually happen though.

As for the backstory of the Jedi vs. Sith I would love to see that played out a bit better. Legends kind of played with it, but I think the new EU needs to make a jump at it and show it instead of beating around the bush. As to why they haven't already, they have their hands full right now. I hope in an eventual standpoint I think it would be something cool that deserves explored. I'd also like to see how different from what we know from Legends it would be too actually. That's kind of why I'm ecstatic over the new EU approach because there were a lot of things I enjoyed with Legends and didn't enjoy though.
    Last edited by DarthTyrannosaur; 09-22-2017 at 07:57 AM.

In that scenario, it would mean the Jedi were that very Evil "he" was trying to eliminate. But becomes Evil himself. I guess he could have been a good guy in the early beginning, and Like Dooku saw what was happening. Thus was drawn in to the Darkside. But that would n=mean he was never part of the Jedi order, or he would have been known. He seems to have always been aligned with Sith ideals.

According to old EU the Sith have never wanted to extinguish Evil, they were Evil. They've always wanted to dominate. Some by brute strength and war, others by manipulation etc. Palpatine did seem to have some end goal other than galactic domination at some points though, or at least that' the vibe I got. In ROTJ he was just Evil for the sake of being the bad guy, no depth was given him. But in he PT he definitely had a game plan. Though I don't know why wanted to rule the galaxy, as someone else pointed out. That seems like a lot of work.
    Looking for:R3-H17, L3-37
    Sale List, Trade List, Non SW trades & Feedback

Quote Originally Posted by Masterfett View Post
    In that scenario, it would mean the Jedi were that very Evil "he" was trying to eliminate. But becomes Evil himself. I guess he could have been a good guy in the early beginning, and Like Dooku saw what was happening. Thus was drawn in to the Darkside. But that would n=mean he was never part of the Jedi order, or he would have been known. He seems to have always been aligned with Sith ideals.

According to old EU the Sith have never wanted to extinguish Evil, they were Evil. They've always wanted to dominate. Some by brute strength and war, others by manipulation etc. Palpatine did seem to have some end goal other than galactic domination at some points though, or at least that' the vibe I got. In ROTJ he was just Evil for the sake of being the bad guy, no depth was given him. But in he PT he definitely had a game plan. Though I don't know why wanted to rule the galaxy, as someone else pointed out. That seems like a lot of work.
    I'm reminded of the sequences in RotS between Palpatine and Anakin when they're discussion how "good" and "evil" are skewered to one's point of view actually with this. Heck, I'd probably consider it one of the reasons Palpatine went to the Sith in the first place given how he brought that gem out to Anakin due to the Council asking him to spy on Palpatine. It basically would cement his own notion that the Jedi were always untrustworthy and manipulative. So for the fall the Jedi would and could be seen as guiding the Republic from their position and shown that way to Palpatine either be family or something close to him. Palpatine very well could have been dissatisfied with this could and easily take it as the reason for the turmoil happening in the galaxy altogether. On top of that, I think it was Clone Wars that showed public opinion of the Jedi wasn't exactly favorable to begin with given how they are coming in with taking children from their parents while they're young if they test positive for midichlorians or merely having an affinity with and for the Force.

Bending it around I see it Palpatine getting infatuated with the tenants and philosophies of the Sith and their ideals on relying on their passion and emotion for strength. From there he would also see the bloody history the Jedi and Sith have and seeing the Sith as the "good" fighting the "evil" Jedi. The Sith would be seen as standing against the draconian Jedi who forbade emotion and attachment, stole children from their families, and robbed children of their youth altogether. I think that would be an effective way of building his character up and avoiding the usual trope of "tragic backstory" or "fall from grace" that most villain origin stories take. He would be literally someone already twisted to an altogether different point of view themselves because of the public's perception or reaction to the Jedi doing what they do and their secretive and aloof nature altogether. We add in their restrictive codes, mores, and values on top of that and it basically sets it up nicely for someone to be see them as evil themselves.

Simultaneously, we do know the Jedi would also eradicate people like the Zygerrians and the Mandalorians too as well in addition to the Sith. The reasons for that could easily become tainted with misinformation that would become disinformation itself and thus indiscernible from what the actual truth of what happened. On top of that you have without the Sith around to verify or corroborate details, the Zygerrians embittered, and along with the Mandalorians feeling much the same as the Zygerrians the misinformation would swirl around and would become indiscernible from the facts. Basically, like Megatron and the Decepticons, the Jedi could use a "peace through tyranny" model to keep things in hand and be seen like that I think.

Ultimately, it would lead Palpatine to Plagueis and from there we know where the rest of the story. That said, I wonder how Palpatine could've escaped being tested for midichlorians at birth. Then again if he had a rich family like he did in the Legends novel they could probably pay someone off in that case to falsify the blood test report altogether.
    Last edited by DarthTyrannosaur; 09-22-2017 at 05:27 PM.

I'd love a palpatine movie....him building his dream home on the beaches of naboo, dealing with environmental protestors and getting involved in politics.
    “What’s a Star War?”

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast