Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Poe's Boosted X-Wing & Poe Dameron (TRU)

Just looked at the Incredible Cross Section. That area in the X-wing has the hyberdrive and the moving supports and hydraulics to open and close the S-Foils. I'm getting nerdy - but to add a jet engine into that mess means you'd need fuel to go through there. It would have to withstand the heat from the propulsion. Also the stress on the entire frame of the ship would be changed.

No doubt it looks like a third booster could be added to that area and it actually does't look bad. But it really doesn't make much sense. It's a small thing - and I haven't even seen how it's used in the movie - but until now Star Wars seems have been above that in the way it treated the reality of spaceship designs.

Surely the most embarrassing of embarrassing toy re-release ideas.

Exec 1: 'Hey, you know those Poe X-Wings from 2 years ago?'

Exec 2: 'The one with the bendy laser cannons? We have crates of them in the back'.

Exec 1: 'Yeah, well lets add this Force Tech stuff into it and resell it for more money'.

Exec 2: 'OK! But add a Booster.'

The cannons on the promo photo on the first page of this thread look bent. I picked up 3 of the black TFA versions, all with straight cannons. I might pick up a few more of these on clearance, but that depends on the cannons, I'm looking forward to the reviews.

Quote Originally Posted by chaingunsofdoom View Post
    Surely the most embarrassing of embarrassing toy re-release ideas.

Exec 1: 'Hey, you know those Poe X-Wings from 2 years ago?'

Exec 2: 'The one with the bendy laser cannons? We have crates of them in the back'.

Exec 1: 'Yeah, well lets add this Force Tech stuff into it and resell it for more money'.

Exec 2: 'OK! But add a Booster.'
    Exec 2 is shortly afterwards promoted.

I bet the photo with bent cannons is deliberate, as a precaution so that they couldn't be blamed/held responsible when (some) people opened their boxes and found horrible warpage. Would have to check product photos on box to confirm.

As for the booster, I don't think it's absurd as many are making it out to be. There was a lot of experimentation in the early Cold War days with something called RATO, or rocket assisted takeoff, which was used on otherwise ordinary jet fighters. (Or was tested on more heavily instrumented experimental copies, but anticipated for use by regular fighter aircraft.). The idea actually wasn't to increase top speed, but to assist in takeoff from shorter runways and to get to altitude faster, especially to intercept an incoming nuclear bomber.

My point is that these RATO systems were often just little bottle rockets that were more or less modular prefab units stuck onto the jet, which I feel Poe's booster could easily be as well. If it's a unitary accessory that only takes a firing signal and maybe some electricity from the X-wing, it wouldn't matter in any obvious way what stuff is in the empennage of the ship proper, nor would there be a need for a fuel tank.

Although such a setup wouldn't by any means provide an all-purpose third engine, with burn time being surely much shorter, it would be compatible with available info and, IMO, useful for an X-wing, either in scrambling out of a base (D'Qar?) or for emergency evasion in combat (since starships shouldn't have the limits that kept RATO from influencing max airspeed.). Maybe with Star Wars tech it could be throttleable or even subject to an on/off switch that could mean multiple uses prior to refueling: turn it on with a catalyst and maybe electric heat, dump an "anti-catalyst" onto the fuel grains to stop combustion & preserve whatever fuel remains.

[QUOTE=DonWanKihotay;19991005]
    Quote Originally Posted by Nerdherfer View Post
    So this is a low res shot of the "booster" apparatus on the back end of Poe's X-wing. The toy makes it seem a bit larger I think. Will possibly have the electronic wrist gimmick incorporated into it.
    Quote Originally Posted by DonWanKihotay View Post
    Nice catch Nerdherfer
    Not sure how much Hasbro's needs determine what will be in the movie , but this is why I wanted to make sure a part of the convo came over from the other thread.
    As Nerdherfer has identified this booster is in fact from the film.

The film has been showcasing Poe's exceptional skill and bravado, and this might play into a plot point where Poe can only accomplish a mission with this extra edge advantage.
    Not necasarily a whole new ship.
    Introducing a whole new ship just for this that they never showed before would have likely been criticized by the same bunch here as not "realistic" or they just happen to have an all new ship when they need it, or if they had this ship why doesn't everyone get one etc... LOL!
    I guess we can joke/debate about which came first the need in the film or the toy?
    It is the mission of each true Jedi Knight... His duty... nay, his privilege!
    To dream, the impossible dream... To fight, the uneatable foe... To reach the unreachable star!
    This is my quest, to follow that star. No matter how hopeless, no matter how far.

Quote Originally Posted by ralltiir View Post
    I bet the photo with bent cannons is deliberate, as a precaution so that they couldn't be blamed/held responsible when (some) people opened their boxes and found horrible warpage. Would have to check product photos on box to confirm.

As for the booster, I don't think it's absurd as many are making it out to be. There was a lot of experimentation in the early Cold War days with something called RATO, or rocket assisted takeoff, which was used on otherwise ordinary jet fighters. (Or was tested on more heavily instrumented experimental copies, but anticipated for use by regular fighter aircraft.). The idea actually wasn't to increase top speed, but to assist in takeoff from shorter runways and to get to altitude faster, especially to intercept an incoming nuclear bomber.

My point is that these RATO systems were often just little bottle rockets that were more or less modular prefab units stuck onto the jet, which I feel Poe's booster could easily be as well. If it's a unitary accessory that only takes a firing signal and maybe some electricity from the X-wing, it wouldn't matter in any obvious way what stuff is in the empennage of the ship proper, nor would there be a need for a fuel tank.
    Excellent analysis.
    To dream, the impossible dream... To fight, the uneatable foe... To reach the unreachable star!
    This is my quest, to follow that star. No matter how hopeless, no matter how far.

Noted, other applications for RATO or back in my day JATO (jet-ATO) were used to assist heavier planes notably the C-130 or in low density/high altitude airstrips. Now as far as snub fighters are concerned, they utilize a combination of repulsorlift and 'conventional' chemical propulsion for TO (we saw this more recently in Rogue One for T-65's, so T-70's should be similar). To me, it's almost like putting RATO on fighters like the Harrier Jump Jet or even the Osprey. Is it practical, IDK(?)...., again I'd like to see how this is explained in the books apart from the physical modification is concerned. Also to add, West End Games books does describe 'Ready One' fighters in rebel bases such as Tierfon Base, but obviously not with the modifications discussed here.
    A special effect without a story is a pretty boring thing. -George Lucas

lol at looking for real science explanations out of Star Wars, the Star Wars physics & tech runs mostly concordant with fantasy.
    As it should. It's part of the charm of the franchise and it has been since the beginning. To start complain about physics now, you should know If it allows for a great visual they'll work it.

Quote Originally Posted by Deak_Starkiller View Post
    Don't want to be the first one to say it, but watch out for potential fraud folks, I have a feeling there's going to be some swapping on this one.
    WOW I can see this happening, especially if there is still of glut of FA X-wings on clearance side by side with the updated more expensive one, someone buying both, swamping the content, and returning the more expensive one.

I think so-called flight sims for PlayStation or Xbox have an "oh crap, I need a sudden burst of speed" button on them, so if pressed to predict how LFL will use this system in the movie, I suspect it might be similar to that, and so more along the lines DWK was suggesting than anything else- visual proof of Poe's exceptional abilities, easy ID in a space battle, maybe helping him heroically escape from D'Qar if the movie starts dealing with the Resistance that soon after TFA.

As for practicality, which I assume to mean in-universe practicality and not what you'd take into a classroom at MIT, it strikes me that there could easily be a flight regime (whether atmospheric or not) where extra speed would help, and I can't see any particular impediment, so I guess I'm unsure what the worry would be. Again taking DWK's suggestion that for SW purposes, entertainment >> studious application of actual physical law.

Anyway, thx for the kind words everybody : )

Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast