Page 2 of 52 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: BB-8 2-in-1 Mega Playset

My guess is it will suck due to a ridiculous design by trying to make it transform into BB-8.

Thank goodness for GTP Toys.

Quote Originally Posted by coeli View Post
    The bad thing about this is if it is a dud (by Hasbro's standards) we won't see other playsets. They will use the excuse of, 'Hey, we gave you guys a playset and it didn't sell well'.
    Exactly. I'm going to hold off until I see it, but that was one of my first thoughts when I heard about a playset.
    #1 want: Admiral Piett (3.75" TVC line)

I'd like to exercise my right to free speech, but I really don't have anything to say at the moment.

Colossal ships made by Hasbro are pretty much a cyclic thing....Queen's starship, Falcon, MTT, AC-ACT and so on. But I don't think there a marketing director at Hasbro that doesn't know that they won't take another sales hit on ships of these scales. They will, but I'll leave it up to them to crank out the sales profit numbers since to me it would be more or less independent of the marketing potential because somebody out there will eventually bite at it.
    A special effect without a story is a pretty boring thing. -George Lucas

Keep this in mind. Once you see a toy in stores, Hasbro has already made their money.
    Naughtiest lines in Star Wars:
    You came in that thing?! You're braver than I thought!
    Luke, at that speed will we be able to pull out in time?
    Back door huh? Good idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Nerfherder View Post
    Keep this in mind. Once you see a toy in stores, Hasbro has already made their money.
    Technically, that's not entirely true. Retail chains aren't taking the beating alone when an item doesn't sell. So, Hasbro do want those to sell well or they'll have to issue rebate coupons for said retail chains on their next orders.

Quote Originally Posted by coeli View Post
    The bad thing about this is if it is a dud (by Hasbro's standards) we won't see other playsets. They will use the excuse of, 'Hey, we gave you guys a playset and it didn't sell well'.
    That's likely to be what happens. People ask for something, and then don't support it in some cases. Hasbro has to make it interesting for kids above all else, hence the transforming feature. Hasbro isn't going to sell scale diorama playsets like we saw for the 6 inch figures at SDCC, its just not viable. Most of the collectors that want playsets are probably better off buying those custom space walls and making their own. If this fails though, the playset crowd is off Hasbro's radar for good, so I hope for their sake it does well.

The one bit of significant information that I take from this listing? That the $200 price threshold seems to mean something. Remember last year when people were complaining about the AT-ACT having an MSRP of $299? I think that Hasbro was paying close attention there. And a significant portion of the forum conversations that I saw about the AT-ACT were either about PRICE (sales, discounts, etc) or complaining about the Nerf features and/or pack-in figures. The $200 price point may be the ceiling for what Hasbro can do in the 3.75" figure system without seeing a tremendous falloff in sales.

I'm sure there may be complaints about these pack-in figures, too. Especially if it's the only avenue to get either Snoke or this particular Praetorian Guard. As for the BB-8 aspect? I see that as pure play value, and it increases the potential marketability for a broader (non-collector) audience.

I didn't catch that BB-8 part the first time. Now my expectation have lowered dramatically, as I do not care for that Droid. And likely won't like the "play" feature it entails. Sounds like too much of a mix & match concept. Similar to SW/Transformers or something. I don't see how a SD and BB-8 have anything in common. I'm interested to see what it looks like, but cannot say that it's buy worthy.

Quote Originally Posted by darth_sidious View Post
    That's likely to be what happens. People ask for something, and then don't support it in some cases.
    But I didn't ask for this, so if it does fail it isn't "my" fault. If they want to blame me for the Barge not meeting expectations, fine. I will have already bought it by then! lol
    Plus there aren't anymore BIG vehicles that i want.

I have yet to campaign for something, then not bought it.
    Looking for:R3-H17, L3-37
    Sale List, Trade List, Non SW trades & Feedback

perhaps Snoke's Star Destroyer does not look like the typical First Order Star Destroyer? or better yet perhaps the playset is not a Star Destroyer at all but Starkiller base?
    Longing for the Good Old Kenner Days where SW Figures were in great supply and everyone was able to find their favorite characters etc..... Hasbro you need to follow this example ! Twitter: @SWChamp
    http://forum.rebelscum.com/t1055416/

plus lets not forget when Hasbro gave us the R2-D2 carrying case that folded out to a trade federation battleship. R2 looked nothing like a ship either but at the time it somewhat worked
    Longing for the Good Old Kenner Days where SW Figures were in great supply and everyone was able to find their favorite characters etc..... Hasbro you need to follow this example ! Twitter: @SWChamp
    http://forum.rebelscum.com/t1055416/

Page 2 of 52 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast