Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Custom 6in Jabba's throneroom dio WIP

Custom 6in Jabba's throneroom dio WIP

Hi Just wanted to share my custom 6in Jabba's throneroom dio. Some of you may remember by custom throne from a couple of years ago. Well I decide to expand on this and make his arch and back room to scale as close as possible. It is 33"X 24" and will feature lights as well.

Here's a pic with flash.

[IMG][/IMG]

And a few more without...

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

I plan on repainting the throne as I think it is too dark a gray and want to add some more texture for a more stone/concrete appearance. Once I complete the other side wall I will be gluing the back and sides down to the base. The arch that goes over Jabba will be next and I hope to build it removable for easy movement/placement. I had hoped that I had included enough space in front of the throne for the trap door but I may have cut it a bit short so I may be curtting the front edge back a little if I cannot fit the trap door to scale in the front area.

The bulk of the dio is made from 3/16" foamcore board with the steps being 5/8" smoothfoam boards. It's gonna be fun finding/making all the furniture and accessories that are present in this area. Luckily 1/12 dollhouse miniatures will come in handy.
    "Ya koon tacha poonoo nee sah, gee." [Your mind powers will not work on me, boy] - Jabba the Hutt

That's looking good so far.

I remember the build!

What do you intend to do to prevent the foam board from warping once you plaster it? You may also want to reinforce the upper floor so it doesn't sag.

Will the arch be curved? If so, I look forward to seeing how you make it removable.

With regards to the trap door, I would just have the edge of it showing on the model. People will know what it is and it won't be to close to the dais.

Thanks. I will be coating the entire dio in a 50/50 mix of PVA glue and water (prob 2 coats to be sure) and saw a youtube video where that say coating the bottom of the dio will counter act any warping. I also have some internal bracing under the back room floor so hopefully this will help prevent any warpage. Also, I am hoping the smoothfoam steps help in the stability department. After the glue/water mix I plan on using wall filler stippled on with a brush then shaped with a spatula to get the stucco appearance seen on the set.

As for the main arch being removable, well that's just the plan. Once I get the internal braces for the front curve of the arch and the back wall of the arch cut out I may find that I have to permanently attache it. Too soon to tell. Depends on how square my cuts are. lol.

I plan on including a portion of the wall on both sides of the throne arch to help support the front curve of the arch and want to include the window on the band stand side.

My fantasy is building the side room where the band stand stairs begin all the way back to Han's wall and include the side room where Jabba is hiding, but my god that dio would be enormous at this scale so I will probably just scale it back to the actual room where Han is hanging. Again my fantasy was to make these two pieces modular so that they could be displayed together but that display would take up the better part of a small to mid-sized room. I live in a small 1 br apt and I am thinking of converting my small dining room space into a display room for these two dios as well as my DeAgostini Falcon.
    Last edited by bwize; 06-05-2017 at 01:19 PM.
    "Ya koon tacha poonoo nee sah, gee." [Your mind powers will not work on me, boy] - Jabba the Hutt

Here's an update. I got the rear room back arch closed in and got the right side door/arch built and installed. I took a bit of artistic license in this area as it is soooo hard to see on screen or in behind the scenes photos. I also got the main arch built. I had to cut the inner arch piece in a couple of places to get it to fit the curve, but that's OK as I will just fill it in when I seal it and add the stucco layer. I think my cell phone camera kind of exaggerates the inner height of the main arch as it is not quite that high in person. Originally I had planned to leave the main arch as a removable piece for easier painting and moving around, but I may decide to glue it to the dio for some stability.

I will be cutting a hole out on the inside left of the main arch and adding the honeycomb pattern and green light in the future. I will install some nice small LED lights set you can buy at Hobby Lobby and install the power source behind the back wall.
    Last edited by bwize; 10-31-2018 at 12:16 PM.

Always love to see a Jabba's dio, especially one done so well. Keep up the good work!
    " what is to gain by partaking in a thread that does not concern/interest you. Say I pass and move on it's that simple" MasterFett-Bastila Shan thread-2-14-11

Thank you. It has been a dream of mine for several years to make a jabba throneroom diorama. Just never thought it would be this big, lol

I sincerely hope hasbro releases bib Fortuna and the sly snootles band in 6inch cause I really want to expand this diorama to include the band stand and back room where han in carbonite rests.

That's got great details. Is it going to display a specific scene? Or is it going to be more fluid? :{J
    Disney? "Canon" you say? You must unlearn what you have learned...

If you need anything 3d Printed PM me. :{J

Thank you. It's going to be more fluid depending on the figures Hasbro releases in the future. I have a 3D printed Oola figure off shapeways that I will definitely be setting on the throne, but there will be times that I have Leia displayed instead. The mauve protocol droid will be his translator from the Clone Wars TV show, so it will be all over the place, lol.

If we do get a 6in Bib Fortuna then this will most likely become the permanent display for my diorama, lol.

I've got a small update. I decided to build a second main arch as I though my original was too high and the front curve not curved enough.

I am using this image as reference.

After the fact, I still did not like the new arch so I went back to my original and cut it down by 1/2 inch and I think it looks much better.

Looking good. The arch looks better lower.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast