Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Custom 6in Jabba's throneroom dio WIP

Thank you Darth_Sceptaurus, it's coming along and I have another update.

I redid the grills on the alcove base that Han hangs in. I really wanted it to be flush with the base like in the movie so I found a more stiff, rigid plastic grid and found some backing board of the same thickness. I cut out new grills and used that to cut new slightly larger holes in the backer board to allow for a small shelf for the grills to rest on making them flush with the base. None of the walls in the rear area are glued down yet as I am still working out the lighting plan and don't want to block access to a few areas that have lights. I plan on using these railroad/diorama lights from Just Plug.

https://woodlandscenics.woodlandscen...SAAEgIeX_D_BwE

I also built the arch that Jabba hides behind. It's a little rough around the edges but I will be sanding it a bit and it will be fine once the stucco layer goes go later.

And just for fun, a view from behind the arch.

Last edited by bwize; 08-05-2019 at 08:41 AM.
    "Ya koon tacha poonoo nee sah, gee." [Your mind powers will not work on me, boy] - Jabba the Hutt

Looks amazing ! Proportions and details are very good. It will be a beautiful and big diorama, I'm sure !

Thanks Jess, I've been following your awesome Jabba's palace diorama and drooling over all the beautiful details.

I redid the arch that Jabba hides behind in the back room area. I felt like the height was not tall enough and the thickness of the arch walls were off as well.

"Ya koon tacha poonoo nee sah, gee." [Your mind powers will not work on me, boy] - Jabba the Hutt

Nice work on the grill in the floor. And props for the proposed train lights, as a kid our home had a lot of train set stuff which I've periodically tried to work into some things I've done. I love it when related hobbies sort of crossover. The arch re-do looks good too, I always am reevaluating whether something looks too tall or out of proportion and taking the time to go back shows some dedication. I'm often too lazy and give things the "meh???....it'll do" treatment rather than going back and revising.
    " what is to gain by partaking in a thread that does not concern/interest you. Say I pass and move on it's that simple" MasterFett-Bastila Shan thread-2-14-11

Thanks yodashizzle, I am such a perfectionist to the Nth degree that this happens to me a lot, lol. I do really hope the train set lights work out as they're reasonably priced and offer a lot of light options and colors, which is perfect for this diorama. I did receive just today a little gem from ebay, a 1/12 scale doll house wooden globe. After carefully eyeing all the details in jabba's throne room, one piece of furniture stood out to me as being the base of an wooden globe.

So I found this and removed the globe. I will need to try to find a large rimed plate or bowl to fit within the globe or scratch build one. When I get home will take another pic of the base in the diorama to see how it fits.

OK, here is the globe temporarily in place with some pillows thrown about.... I think it will look great once a bowl/plate with some food and a vase is in place.

This looks so amazing!
    Here is a pic of the table. BTW, this table top is the same as the ones in the alcoves and on the sailbarge. The fruit bowl comes out.

Let me know if you need any specific reference photos as I have studied the set designs quite extensively.

Thank you Utinniii. The first Jabba's palace diorama that I was ever exposed to was the spectacular one over on http://www.niubniubsuniverse.com/vis...eu/Jabba01.asp and I still use it for reference. Then I saw ones by Daigo-bah, yours and now Jess's that continue to inspire me. I have combed through both your thread and Jess's thread many times for inspiration, ideas and suggestions. I think it was originally on your thread where someone mentioned the doll house globe to that is no doubt where the germ was planted in my head, lol. I also forgot about the doll house urn suggested in that thread so now I am on the hunt for an urn.

I had hoped figureworkscustoms over on facebook would re-release their BBQ spit in 1/12 scale again, but that doesn't seem to be in the future so looks like I will be scratching that. I'm sure I will be reaching out to the both of you as this progresses so thank you both so much.

I'm glad I helped in some way. Helping others is almost as fun as making my own.
    I just realized I didn't send the pic. Here it is.

Thank you, funny that I have almost the exact same image from a screen grab, lol. That table top is so detailed I can't tell if there are intricate carvings (celestial phases/zodiac signs) or if it's the bases of the items resting on it.lol I think I will cut a disc out of a thin sheet of balsa wood to fit on top of the table to create a smaller hole for a small bowl to fit in and try staining it to match the table.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast