Page 1 of 20 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: The LEGfaux Thread

The LEGfaux Thread

I have just the Café Corner and the Green Grocer from Lepin. Didn't seem like LEGO was going to re-release them anytime soon so a few missing pieces here and there and having to buy actual LEGO baseplates....These are pretty nice for what they are. No way I was shelling out for retired prices.

Quote Originally Posted by infinitifett View Post
    I have just the Café Corner and the Green Grocer from Lepin.
    LEGO Star Wars content manager - Rebelscum
    LEGO Star Wars forum administrator - Rebelscum
    RLFM Representative - LEGO Ambassador Network

Quote Originally Posted by infinitifett View Post
    I have just the Café Corner and the Green Grocer from Lepin. Didn't seem like LEGO was going to re-release them anytime soon so a few missing pieces here and there and having to buy actual LEGO baseplates....These are pretty nice for what they are. No way I was shelling out for retired prices.
    Yup, those are the ones I want and don't want to pay eBay prices so if I ever get the urge I will spring for Lepin. But knowing my luck as soon as I do that Lego will announce updated versions. And these really could do for updated versions, SW sets get them all the time. The older modulars really were pretty bland as far as interiors and detail compared to the ones we get now.

Haven't placed my order to get R2 poly yet. Torn between Y-wing and a key chain or the U-wing. Hmm. Anyone recommend either of those?
    Last edited by LandoGriffin; 05-04-2017 at 10:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy View Post

Love it! I really really hope Lego and their litigation prevails before any of you can buy this knock-off crap. Don't you guys care if your collectibles hold some value? This is why stuff is expensive in the aftermarket. Build something similar, it doesn't have to be the same.

As far as today, yes, I bought the Snowspeeder and also placed some orders for smaller stuff to get a few more R2's. I also got in on the Hasbro AT-ACT action this morning for $50 each from Amazon.com.

The LEPIN Thread

Quote Originally Posted by exciter View Post
    Love it! I really really hope Lego and their litigation prevails before any of you can buy this knock-off crap. Don't you guys care if your collectibles hold some value? This is why stuff is expensive in the aftermarket. Build something similar, it doesn't have to be the same.
    I am more than sure that Lego has the legal high ground but KO's are never gonna be stopped and that's not just about Lego that's in general. Historically China looks the other way on KO's. They don't care about IP laws and trademarks in other countries as it applies to them as long as the money rolls into the country. If the big guys like Apple, Chanel, etc. can't stop the tide of KO's I don't think Lego is going to be able to. I believe Lego knows this but it's more about protecting their IP. Because Lego has no obligation to release sales data to the public there is no way of knowing what, if any, financial hit they have taken due to KO's. Again, I would say that most Lego collectors would opt for the real thing as far as current sets. Lego collectors are loyal. It's old, popular, retired sets that cost a small fortune to track down where Lepin is actually appealing to collectors and I don't blame them. Personally if they re-released something like the Café Corner or I could get one now for close to original retail I would not hesitate to give Lego my money but if I can get something comparable from Lepin at a fraction of the cost I would probably opt for that.
    Additionally, there is not yet any signs of Lepin sets dragging down the value of retired sets. Look at Café Corner or Green Grocer and those have maintained their value if not further appreciated. The only issue I see is bad apples trying to pass off Lepin sets as the real thing. I have yet to see widespread complaints of that and again, Lego collectors are a pretty knowledgeable bunch, who know how much something is worth.
    Personally, I buy what I want because I like it or it appeals to me. I don't buy sets as investments. Yes, I know some people do but that's their personal decision and a risk they are choosing to take. If the bottom falls out of something they choose to invest in, I don't give a sh-t, just like someone buying a stock they thought was going to pay off for them, it's none of my business.
    Lego is the number one toy company in the world. They put out great product and show no signs of slowing down. They'll be fine.

Have any of you tried Bricklinking the set? In some cases it works out slightly more expensive than the original set and always nowhere near the secondary price.
    LEGO Star Wars content manager - Rebelscum
    LEGO Star Wars forum administrator - Rebelscum
    RLFM Representative - LEGO Ambassador Network

I personally haven't but have read of some folks who have and certain exclusive, retired parts make it more expensive in some cases (GG or CC windows for example IIRC)
    One last point about Lepin, Lego isn't losing money on retired sets. I certainly do see a problem though when Lepin is, for example, putting out a new, current set on the market that directly competes with an official release.

Back on topic - I ran to the Lego store on my lunch break and picked up the Y-wing and BB8 key chain to hit the $50 mark to get the R2 poly!

LEGO's legal challenge in china may not be about stopping them from producing sets, but to get a judgement that they can take to Amazon and eBay and say "see this decision, you will be contributing to this if you allow them to be listed" and if you're either eBay or Amazon and you have to choose between Lego and Lepin, you are choosing Lego.

Re; the cafe corner and Market street, while they are very nice models on the outside, the insides are underwhelming.
    The two reasons to have them seem to be 1) you are a completest and are anal about these things. or 2) you want to have something valuable and sought after in your collection.

No matter how you spin it, neither of those two are satisfied by a Lepin model

You can buy the Lepin version, you still do not have Cafe Corner.
    Same thing with the UCS Falcon, you can buy the Lepin model and you still don't own the UCS Falcon

If you want the 'complete' listing including the variations or unique pieces to a very expensive set, just buy it.
    I've done the math, and honestly the 3 reasons that I came up with to bricklinking an expensive model are
    1) you are mental and enjoy the chase
    2) you have a very large head start on pieces
    3) you have a parts store where you can accumulate sets, take out the pieces you need and sell the rest.

Even if you wanted the set with substitutions, my advice still is buy the damn set, sell of the expensive pieces

if you bought a used Falcon (for instance) for $3000 and sold the masts for $200 each, the instructions, the grey levers, the dish for $90, the sticker, you'd be surprised how cheap you'd come out

Quote Originally Posted by LandoGriffin View Post
    I am more than sure that Lego has the legal high ground but KO's are never gonna be stopped and that's not just about Lego that's in general. Historically China looks the other way on KO's. They don't care about IP laws and trademarks in other countries as it applies to them as long as the money rolls into the country. If the big guys like Apple, Chanel, etc. can't stop the tide of KO's I don't think Lego is going to be able to. I believe Lego knows this but it's more about protecting their IP. Because Lego has no obligation to release sales data to the public there is no way of knowing what, if any, financial hit they have taken due to KO's. Again, I would say that most Lego collectors would opt for the real thing as far as current sets. Lego collectors are loyal. It's old, popular, retired sets that cost a small fortune to track down where Lepin is actually appealing to collectors and I don't blame them. Personally if they re-released something like the Café Corner or I could get one now for close to original retail I would not hesitate to give Lego my money but if I can get something comparable from Lepin at a fraction of the cost I would probably opt for that.
    Additionally, there is not yet any signs of Lepin sets dragging down the value of retired sets. Look at Café Corner or Green Grocer and those have maintained their value if not further appreciated. The only issue I see is bad apples trying to pass off Lepin sets as the real thing. I have yet to see widespread complaints of that and again, Lego collectors are a pretty knowledgeable bunch, who know how much something is worth.
    Personally, I buy what I want because I like it or it appeals to me. I don't buy sets as investments. Yes, I know some people do but that's their personal decision and a risk they are choosing to take. If the bottom falls out of something they choose to invest in, I don't give a sh-t, just like someone buying a stock they thought was going to pay off for them, it's none of my business.
    Lego is the number one toy company in the world. They put out great product and show no signs of slowing down. They'll be fine.
    Huge Army Builder, 852 figures and counting.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy View Post
    Was never faithful to RS as I was to JD so I will say goodbye as to this note. Live long and prosper.

Don't let others bother you fett, some peeps are going to be rude just ignore them. I bought lepin sets for my daughter and I to build for fun. It comes down to money. I would buy lego everytime but secondary prices are astronomical so I went where it's cheapest. I regret asking about lepin because I didn't mean for anyone to be named and shamed.
    Last edited by Grayghost2482; 05-04-2017 at 08:42 PM.

Page 1 of 20 12311 ... LastLast