Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Kyp's Custom Diorama wip's...

Part 2 of the Ramen/Sushi Shop wip:

So I'm trying lighting it different. I haven't settled on a color for the walls yet but I'm thinking kind of yellow/tan. I see a lot of Izakaya have kind of paler tans and yellows for paneled walls and kind of want to keep that essence. Still flat black ATM though:

Kind of brighter. I really like using different species like this to help sell that it's Nar Shadaa near spaceports and shops. Some podracers, cantina patron, Jabba's second rancor guard, and the orange guy is a Rey Mysterio figure that's going to be one of Rollo's henchmen:

That papercraft chair is the one I mentioned earlier. They aren't meant to turn, but using a thumb tac allows them to swivel on the base. And it can be resized to make it taller. Oh and Rollo has a Cobra Comm guy vest on:

And I put the same ceiling on it that Mero's Place had and made sure to hang one row over the entrance:

Continued in part 3. :{D
    Disney? "Canon" you say? You must unlearn what you have learned...

If you need anything 3d Printed PM me. :{J

So then I turned the lights out and put LED keychain flashlights on the middle holes and I like how dark it looks, but I couldn't see Rollo's baby blues:

Me personally, I love this shot. His eyes showed up:

The inside counter had a nice glow to it and I imagine with the walls a tan/yellow it would be brighter:

This shot is one of my favorites too. I like how light hit Trinto Duaba:

And Giran(rancor keeper) had some interesting shadows:

See the lines from the corrugation? I'm thinking that will help my idea of making it look like wood panels. Like maybe the wood is from some planet special to Rollo. If not wood, it's durasteel meant to look like it:

All I did to the Rey Mystero figure so far is add a Cobra spare vest and give him a blaster. I'd like to sculpt an alien head onto him or at least get a gelmet for him. And the pants...I don't know what to do about the pants:

I kind of like this mark on the wall behind Rey(Oh man, I just got that. REY Mysterio). It looks like a claw mark or something:

Exterior is going to have some kind of sign eventually. And I'll have to put a light over the entrance next update:

Tetsuo and Tressk are just getting the next "delivery" from Rollo:

These cardboard rectangles helped. I kind of want to make them look like tatami mats, but they're outside and I'll probably settle on dark wood:

The side walls of the restaurant are open now, but I'm figuring out how I'm going to make some removable walls to take photos:

The next diorama I post pics too is going to be the pawn shop owned by an Advozse ex bounty hunter. Tetsuo and Tressk sell off items there frequently. :{D

And this is the Pawn Shop Diorama wip:

The Korean film The Man from Nowhere is the main influence for the window counter. You'd have to see the movie. It's worth the watch IMO.

I like the idea of certain customers aren't allowed inside because they're thieves and pickpockets:

There's a little alley in between the pawn shop and Mero's Place next door. The vehicle there is from a Corps boat that had a little jetski attached. And it has a blaster looking gun so I figure it will make a neat speederbike custom:

There's also an alley behind the pawn shop that goes between Mero's Place and the Ramen shop and is also linked to the alley behind the ramen shop:

These are some papercraft GI Joe computers to fill out the inside while I'm figuring out the overall look/feel to the shop. And the thing next to the smaller computer is a shield from the McFarlane Halo figures:

The counter to the Advozse's right is hinged and he can lift it up and walk out. The Advozse is Bom Vimdin. But I'll have a different name for him in my RPG though:

And I thought I needed one looking in from the back. Trinto Duaba's trying to sell something off to the Advozse:

The next post will show how these first 3 dioramas will fit together. And after that will be Mawhonic's repair shop and the apartment building. :{D

Those are looking great! Love the back stories as well.
    You should go to a bead store. In addition to finding cool cups. plates, and glasses, there might also be tiny fish and other animals.

What I love about these is the better-constructed vintage-style folded playset idea you've nailed (even if that's not the intention)!
    Please read my version of the Star Wars prequels and let me know what you think!

Check out the Rebelscum Custom Dioramas Index!

Quote Originally Posted by Utinniii View Post
    Those are looking great! Love the back stories as well.
    You should go to a bead store. In addition to finding cool cups. plates, and glasses, there might also be tiny fish and other animals.
    lol Yeah those are some giant bass I've got so far. I have that fish from the Naboo accessory pack too I can use. I'm probably going to use your bead idea for non-organic things like the cups and equipment, but the food/animals I might try to sculpt and paint.

I have some "greeblies" that I store from old lighters and other broken down objects that can help too. (lol I love the word greeblies)

Quote Originally Posted by Daigo_Bah View Post
    What I love about these is the better-constructed vintage-style folded playset idea you've nailed (even if that's not the intention)!
    You mean like those Sears cantina/Bespin ones? Or the Palitoy Death Star? Either way thank you for the compliment.

My inspiration is mainly from Empire Toy works' dio's and his Spaceport. I just don't have the money for all the plywood. I also like to recycle cardboard/cardstock and other stuff.

I also hope to have these displayed on a shelf eventually.

Thanks again for the compliments guys.

I'm taking pics of the other two dio's and if I can get them uploaded tonight I'll post them here. :{D
    Last edited by KypDurron420; 04-29-2017 at 11:17 PM.

I have some Diorama "Props" I'd like to share here.

These are printed posters, maps, and panels from the Ghost's cockpit plus a grey Rebels Hover Crate. I'm still making Brown and Green variants and hopefully interiors to them:

I found these posters in an image search and scaled them to my liking. Once all the dioramas are done, I'm going to put these up and distress them. Empire Toy works did the same in his Spaceport I think:

These I found online too and they were a model maker's files he gave out and I had to scale them. I plan to use these on custom vehicles and for dioramas:

And this is my Hover Crate Papercraft I've been working on. This is the grey variant. I'm making a brown and green variant too and working on an insert to give the crates interior a more convincing look. And then I'm taking a pic of a meluron and the fruit the gotal sold in the first episode and making fruit squares that can make the crate look full. Same with one that has blasters arranged inside:

I made it hinge on the top for now. the insert might make it feasible to have the top come on and off:

And I have a simple idea to make it "float". A band of clear plastic in a loop glued to a square of clear plastic smaller than the crate. Just set the crate on it and it should look like it's floating. And I have a similar idea that involves a small spring and would give the crate a bounce as it's slid along a flat surface.

I want to start making the Imperial crates from ANH in papercraft too. And printing's really helpful with the flooring for the dioramas. I'm trying to test different sealants for these papercrafts to try and harden them a little.

One idea I have is to paint on white glue to the interior of the crate on the bottom and let that fully dry on some wax paper or something it won't stick to. And then repeat that process on the crate's inner walls and the top. If the layer is solid enough and level, it should make it sturdier. I haven't tried this yet though. :{D

This is my Mawhonic's Repir Shop Diorama wip. The only canon part about it is that Mawhonic had A repair shop. I say it's on Nar Shadaa to go with my other dioramas. But I don't know where it is in the canon.

I only have some of the interior props painted flat black.

I'll eventually have this whole diorama painted flat black.

The diorama is separated into two main sections and a third smaller section: the shop and the garage on the ground floor and Mawhonic's office on the second.

There's a small sentry post for a security guard to keep watch over customers.

when Mawhonic is too busy to, or too lazy, he has an 8D8 droid as his cashier. He has hired help working part time as well.

This first shot overlooks the shop half and you can see the "droid wash" along the back wall:

This shot overlooks the garage and Mawhonic's office, accessed by a ladder well in the upper right hand corner:

The paper towel roll is going to power a crane that lifts engines. I'm thinking of keeping it hollow though and turning it into a walkway by cutting it open:

The counter where a Nikto is trying to lie to 8D8 about being on a discount list:

I have the insert from a Playmates 3 3/4 JJ Star Trek's transporter as a drink cooler next to the counter. It's too dark to see it, but there's a computer behind the cooler. The massiff is Mawhonic's guard dog. I used the printables from CustomsfortheKid/DarthDaddy's site for the Puffer Pig crates. One I even cut the holes out of and it looks cool with the Massiff in it.

Nikto Thug: "I'm telling you droid! I'm on the list!"

8D8: "I'm sorry sir, I'm not seeing your name registered in our files..."

I have a Beemo pencil top for a monitor on the counter.

Continued in part 2. :{D

Part 2 of Mawhonic's Repair Shop Diorama wip:

I forgot to mention in the last one what the box is from. the outer shell of the diorama is a packaging box from the inside of the newer AT-AT from a few years ago. I used several white inserts that came with it to brace the toy as custom mini-rig vehicle wip's. I'll show them later.

I think it's neat that the box the AT-AT came in was so easily recycled. It's about 1'x2' fits easy on a shelf too. :{D

I also used a DiGiorno pizza box as the floor that holds the middle wall up and creates the space for the "droid wash". It also made it easier to plot out the shop and garage.

The middle wall and the computers and other furniture is all recylced materials from packaging. Cereal boxes, tylelnol box, a knife's box for the droid charger/display(3 Astros), and the blue barrel is a Baby Lucas container:

This is the exterior entrance to the "Droid wash". There's going to be a panel to pay to have your droid's cleaned. And I have the Aurebesh written there, but when I'm finished it will be a printed image meant to look painted. It might light up too:

The R5 will be on a track that I'll make movable like a conveyor belt. I'm only using the Naboo droid station for now, I might mold and cast duplicates to use though:

The "droid wash" isn't only for Astro's, it's also for protocols and any droids that can fit.

Here's a close up of Mawhonic's office:

It will have windows and walls eventually. The chair is something I made from packaging as a Yoda's Jedi Council chair. But It's standing in for Mawhonic's chair for now. The Eye thing is from Monster's High and I think it looks like a Gran water sculpture. They probably have eye motifs in their culture due to their eye stalks. He's hold a piece of cardstock as a datapad with his inventory and finances.

The section in front of his office might become an employee lounge or maybe Mawhonic has a little apartment there. Haven't decided.

Here's a shot looking in to the garage:

Tressk(trandoshan) is using the garage's euipment to work on his Y-wing Scout bomber while his R5 unit is cleaned in the "droid wash". The yellow speed is the Nikto thug's, bought with laundered cash.

The barrels on the right is where I'm going to have a refueling station.

And just a shot of some crates. The white ones are just styrofoam with the design of the Imperial crates on them:

And I wanted to say that Hasbro could easily do a playset like this. Features galore. Fits on a shelf. It's not much larger than the Cantina or Jabba's Palace diorama's they did.

And it wouldn't take up much shelf space in the store. Eh Hasbro, eh? :{D

Here's some pics of a Nar Shadaa spaceport area that has little shops and narrow walkways:

This is a little drink establishment ran by my custom bartender made from ANH Obi and an Imperial officer's head. He's also wearing a military cap from GI Joe and has a white mustache since he was the Pelleon custom I had made a while back. The YVH droid is his bouncer:

A random spacer made from the Cobra transport's pilot figure(Firefly basically) is tossing a credit in the begging Mustafar droid's bucket(the droid needs repairs) as he walks past the spaceport's lower entrance. You can also see the ramp/stairs to the upper floor of the spaceport:

Showing another spacer made from a CORPs figure walking down a different alleyway behind the drink establishment:

The PZ droid runs the spaceport for the Sullustan while he and the repair and salvage droids do repairs and clean up around his "thriving" spaceport business:

Rodian musician playing for the drunks:

This is showing the droid shop and its security droid:

The spaceport:

Onlookers:

Inside the droid shop:

Bar with lights:

I showed him on another thread but this is a custom spacer/bounty hunter rival of Boba Fett:

I like using foamcore/ foam board so far. :{J

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast