Thread: Star Wars: Celebration Orlando 2017 Feedback

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Star Wars: Celebration Orlando 2017 Feedback

How was your Star Wars: Celebration Orlando2017 Experience? Please list off the good, the bad, and the UGLY!
    Dustin Roberts
    Content Manager
    TheForce.net - Your Daily Dose Of Star Wars
    Rebelscum.com - Star Wars Collecting News
    R2D2Central.com - Chicks Dig The Dome!

Over all , really good ! 40 years of Star Wars was amazing in the Galaxy stage ! Closing ceremonies were only ok imo. Although I did get to give Warwick Davis a low five as he rode past on his Segway ! Pretty awesome !

This was my first Celebration and I had a great time. Plenty to nitpick about but I'm thankful to have even had the opportunity to attend.

The Good: Tons of exhibits, vendors and fun fan interactions. Favorites included the amazing cosplay, the custom Droids and the gathering of so many like-minded people. I was also surprised that not all the vendors were just charging ridiculous prices. I picked up a Sideshow Rogue 5 Luke Pilot figure for about $50 less than retail.

The Bad: Unhelpful convention center staff and access points. If the NFL can get 70,000 people into a stadium with lots of entrances I don't know why the OCCC couldn't do a little better with signage and entrances. The Celebration Store: how could they not either have a) more store locations or b) smaller stands selling the basics (t-shirts, lanyards, programs, etc.). I also felt the Celebration app was pretty lacking, especially the maps that were not very detailed.

The Ugly: Lines, lines and more lines. Also, having to wait 2 years to get another Celebration. How else do I get my "in-person" Star Wars fix???

I only have 2 "bads"
    1. The line on Thursday morning to get into the building was beyond terrible. That was an embarrassment to the convention/organization/planning.
    2. Topps and the autograph area was also an embarrassment. I don't think it could have been MORE disorganized. (I'm curious as to why they thought it would be beneficial to have people line up every day to get their photos at a different location AND you had to come back EVERY day and do the same thing because they wouldn't give you your photos from different days)

What I loved:
    1. Loved being there with my family (1st time for my family, although I've been to all of the U.S. Celebrations).
    2. Main Hall was very well set up and organized.
    3. Lots to do.
    4. Belgium Prop builders and what they brought (awesome).
    5. Pin trading was fun. I'd like to see even MORE booths/vendors participate!
    6. Collector's panels (although I only made it to 1) are always a great draw with the free Star Tot!
    Aim for Heaven and you'll get earth thrown in. Aim for earth and you'll get neither.

I was an exhibitor so I can't comment on the lines - but all of my interactions with OCC staff confirmed that none of them really knew what they were doing. On Wednesday I went to the store pick up area to get my official convention program/souvenir book and the staff didn't even know what that was. They tried to give me the free little booklet. I kept telling them it was a glossy book that cost $20. Finally the one person who seemed to be in charge came by and told us that they hadn't gotten the books in yet.

The security staff weren't much better. One day they'd search bags and the next you'd just set them aside while they ran a wand over you. What's the point of a security check if they don't search bags? And one day a guy told me to take my phone and wallet out of my bag and put it into a dish while he wanded me. What????

Finally... maybe by Celebration 40 someone will figure out how to run a truly fan friendly store. While no one forces you to go into the store it is criminal that anyone that goes in after about 10-10:30 can expect to spend HOURS there just to get in and then checked out. Every employee of Reed Pop should be made to go to the store around 12:00 and forced to stand in those lines and have to buy something. I guarantee they'd find a fix then. I haven't been to the Celebration store in years and won't until they fix that disaster. They need t-shirt stands and smaller retail outlets spread through out the facility - as a start.

Otherwise se I had a blast and can't wait for the next one.
    All Things R2
    The place for current finds and just about everything R2D2 related.
    www.AllThingsR2.com

Cool someone started a thread of this. I was going to but felt horrible last night.
    Pros: The Disney Store:They were pretty much on point. Another Scummer and I agreed that they need to take over the Celebration Store. Never had to wait more than a few mins each time.
    The security check fri-Sun: Much better than Thursday.
    Art Show: Thought it was ran pretty well. It was congested at times but I never felt it was BAD.
    Panels: Didn't go to Any collector ones but those are always fun and the free tot is great. The 2 BIG panels were great as a Celebration of 40 years of Star Wars and to continue the hype of the upcoming Saga in TLJ! I did manage to go to the Disney Parks Star Wars panel and thought it was great.
    The Crowds: Seemed like A LOT of people attended this weekend, so hopefully that means more and more Celebration!
    Exclusives: Thought there were great exclusives despite the toughness to obtain them.
    Cosplay: Cosplay was awesome! There was great kylos, and Reys and Sabines, etc! There was some funny stuff too. Aquaman Jedi. Guy Slave Leias! Guy Ariels!
    Disney: Again as mentioned above, they had a great booth. Also the Galactic Nights event was a good compliment to SWCO.
    The Collectir clubs. Spent a lot of time around them grabbing swag and patches! Had fun/challenging games.
    Star Wars Live area. Really liked their set up. Crowds a plenty when the panels were shown and when they had guests.

Cons: Thursday Line: I was one of the Lucky ones who didn't have to wait in line for hours OUTSIDE the CC. That line was dumb.
    Celebration Store: The wait was crazy and I never even attempted to go in. Again Disney should run it. Also what was up with putting curtains all the way around it?
    Auto Hall: we had some great guests but I still felt like some quests were missing. I know we didn't have the great services of Chris and Opix with Send ins/Drops offs, but they should have at least had a drop off. It's just me but I would've liked to see different groupings of Guests. Put all the Rebels cast together in a row, all the Rogue One together etc. Just a suggestion. Also felt from where they were signing to the end of the line was FAR away. Could barely tell who was signing where as the picture behind them weren't easy to see.
    The Campout logistics: they needed to have a better game plan for the 2 panels. If you say a specific time when you can line up then stick to it! I didn't campout for any but should've had the campers stationed on the carpeted section for a certain time. Les than A handful of hours on that hard concrete is prob better than 10 or more hours! Not everyone had blankets or those inflatables.
    The Crowds: Part of it was mismanagement.
    Reed in regards to their lotteries: This is more dealing with me. I entered Funko and Lego and got the confirmation for entering. Did not get an email for both regarding winning or losing. Called them multiple times. Found out I lost Funko via an email to Reed. Lego I had to call a lot and finally got anmessage back that I had won and would get an email. Again no email, and was told I had to track down a certain person at celebration. I just gave up. Funko and Lego should hold their own lotteries.
    Funko: I'm a huge Funko fan and they know they're a popular product. Their line was handled well despite how hard it was to get their product.
    Exckusives: Part of the bad things that come with exclusives are that those vendors doing them have to worry about people lining up or hounding their booths. It clogs up their booth in regards to people coming in to check out their booth. Funko just had product to seek and didn't have new stuff on display. Where I saw this worse was Gentke Giant. The line for their lottery would get in the way I saw if people browsing their booth. Hasbro too.

If if I think of more I'll post...
    1993 1999 2013 GO NOLES!!

major complaint about the show was the disorganized chaos of the autograph/photp area and the insane line on Thursday. I was on line at 9am and didn't get in till 11:45am. I had a photo op and autograph with Mark Hamill for Thursday so I spent the remainder of the day on line from 12pm - 6:50pm so day 1 of the con was completely lost.

day 2 was much smoother as far as lines and the autograph sections (was able to get 4 autographs and a photo op with Sarah Michelle Gellar (an autograph) all by all by 2:30pm (Garrick Hogan, Denis Lawson, and Freddie Prince Junior) and be able to enjoy the show as well.

day 3 was my short day unfortunately as I had to fly home that night so I was only at the show from 10-2:30 (and was able to catch my first and only panel Star Wars Rebels - on the overflow stage)

Galactic Nights at Hollywood Studios was awesome and one of my favorite Disney experiences since CV and the Last Tour to Endor.

my only other major complaint was the weekend they choose to hold the event...... being a family man myself it was hard for me with Sunday being Easter. I was fortunate enough to have family watching my 5 year twins but I had to cut the celebration short to come home for Easter.

all in all I think the OCCC needs to retrain some of it's staff to be a little more knowledgeable about what's going on and more friendly as well, and Reed Pop / Disney / Lucasfilm needs to get back Official Pix as the autograph people as Topps had zero clue what they were doing and their staff was just downright rude at times.

PROS:

I loved seeing everyone at the show and had a great time chatting with friends and making new friends
    the showroom floor was great and well organized
    the panels (even though I only made the Rebels one) were great
    the guests were awesome
    the surprises.... George Lucas, Harrison Ford, John Williams etc were mind blowing

definitely looking forward to Celebration IX.
    Longing for the Good Old Kenner Days where SW Figures were in great supply and everyone was able to find their favorite characters etc..... Hasbro you need to follow this example ! Twitter: @SWChamp
    http://forum.rebelscum.com/t1055416/

Quote Originally Posted by DarkArtist View Post
    major complaint about the show was the disorganized chaos of the autograph/photp area and the insane line on Thursday. I was on line at 9am and didn't get in till 11:45am. I had a photo op and autograph with Mark Hamill for Thursday so I spent the remainder of the day on line from 12pm - 6:50pm so day 1 of the con was completely lost.

day 2 was much smoother as far as lines and the autograph sections (was able to get 4 autographs and a photo op with Sarah Michelle Gellar (an autograph) all by all by 2:30pm (Garrick Hogan, Denis Lawson, and Freddie Prince Junior) and be able to enjoy the show as well.

day 3 was my short day unfortunately as I had to fly home that night so I was only at the show from 10-2:30 (and was able to catch my first and only panel Star Wars Rebels - on the overflow stage)

Galactic Nights at Hollywood Studios was awesome and one of my favorite Disney experiences since CV and the Last Tour to Endor.

my only other major complaint was the weekend they choose to hold the event...... being a family man myself it was hard for me with Sunday being Easter. I was fortunate enough to have family watching my 5 year twins but I had to cut the celebration short to come home for Easter.

all in all I think the OCCC needs to retrain some of it's staff to be a little more knowledgeable about what's going on and more friendly as well, and Reed Pop / Disney / Lucasfilm needs to get back Official Pix as the autograph people as Topps had zero clue what they were doing and their staff was just downright rude at times.

PROS:

I loved seeing everyone at the show and had a great time chatting with friends and making new friends
    the showroom floor was great and well organized
    the panels (even though I only made the Rebels one) were great
    the guests were awesome
    the surprises.... George Lucas, Harrison Ford, John Williams etc were mind blowing

definitely looking forward to Celebration IX.
    Ditto! I really agree with your post. The weekend they chose really stunk for me. I also had to leave on Saturday to get back to my family. In addition, (for those would do not celebrate Easter or bring their family with them) this week is also spring break for most K-12 school systems. Therefore, the costs of everything goes up (hotels, airfare, car rentals, gas, etc.) and the travel crowds/traffic is significantly higher.

As far as the show goes, Thursday was a train wreck all around in my opinion with the worst part being the autographs and photos. I honestly believe Reedpop, Topps and the autograph company got caught by surprise. I think if you look at their plans (on paper) it made sense, but the response and crowds were beyond what was expected. However, I was impressed that they seemed to really fight back and make things a little better each day. By Saturday, while the crowds were still insane, I think the photo guys had their act together. Autos were still tough, but at least they had staff taking control. As far as suggestions go, I would 1) give the autograph and photos a larger area. 2) This would allow each signer to have a dedicated line (no double ups with other signers), with adequate space for lines and have clear signage with their schedule for the entire convention (that is updated). That way you know where they are each day and when they will be there. 2) They need to have cash lines and allow online purchases at the show. 3) Have all pictures at the celebs table (no picture line). 4) Allow purchase of extra 8x10s at the show and have an all around better selection for purchase. 5) I know this won't happen, but I would get rid of the authentication (fewer scalpers) and cut the cost of the graphs.

As far as Reed goes, the only thing that comes to mind is please move the exhibit hall stage to some less congested area with more overall room. It really clogged up a main artery to the photo area/celebration store.

Collector's panels were well run and smooth. Excellent work!

I actually didn't get to anything on the big stages (I watched them afterward on youtube). That being said, I'm fine with the way it was handled. Basically, the people that wanted it the most (camped out for days in some cases) got in. Heck, they deserved it more than me!

All that being said, I really enjoyed the show overall!

Quote Originally Posted by DarkArtist View Post
    Oh my god, thats Celebration 2 level s**t right there. The longest line I waited in once the show started was 90 minutes at the show store. And judging how terrible the show store was run at Anaheim this was a HUGE improvement and I accepted it. I'm really sorry you had your first day wasted, thats terrible. You shouldn't have to buy a ticket to spend 9 hours waiting in lines.