Page 55 of 57 FirstFirst ... 5455354555657 LastLast

Thread: The Last Jedi - General Film Discussion Thread

Before the movie I've heard only the overhyped reviews, but it was the same with Force Awakens and Rogue One, so I tried to keep my expectations down. But I liked it. The Star Wars movies have a lot of emotional baggage for me, so I need to see the new movie twice to get my opinion sorted. The First time with Force Awakens I was disapointed about the New Hope repeats, but the second viewing, where I knew what will happen I could just enjoy the movie as a movie, and not as FINALLY NEW STAR WARS THAT'S NOT PREQUEL.

The same with TLJ kind of. At first I was angry about few things, but I get to like them in the end. But I feel like they should keep Luke alive once they knew Carrie wouldn't be there for episode 9. But on the other hand - that leaves with clean slate with only new characters for episode 9. So maybe it's good.

That's kind of the same way it was for me with the new movies. I had to see them all twice before I could really sort it out, but I liked them all even more the second time. The thing that bugged me about TLJ was the bad humor, and the fact that he killed Snoke. I see why he did it, though, because Kylo has to stand on his own two feet.

I can't say I'm really happy that Luke was killed off, as I was looking forward to seeing more of him, maybe one last lightsaber duel, which we never saw. There may have been a way to save him digitally after learning of Carrie Fisher's death, but I'm pretty sure the movie and everything was mostly done when it happened.

Here's hoping they can come up with something good for Episode 9. It would have been nice to have a few of the old characters survive to see it, but now we'll really see if the new characters step up.

Quote Originally Posted by Darth_Sceptaurus View Post
    That's kind of the same way it was for me with the new movies. I had to see them all twice before I could really sort it out, but I liked them all even more the second time. The thing that bugged me about TLJ was the bad humor, and the fact that he killed Snoke. I see why he did it, though, because Kylo has to stand on his own two feet.

I can't say I'm really happy that Luke was killed off, as I was looking forward to seeing more of him, maybe one last lightsaber duel, which we never saw. There may have been a way to save him digitally after learning of Carrie Fisher's death, but I'm pretty sure the movie and everything was mostly done when it happened.

Here's hoping they can come up with something good for Episode 9. It would have been nice to have a few of the old characters survive to see it, but now we'll really see if the new characters step up.
    There was time, Johnson is saying this in the interviews that they were considering killng off Leia in place of Holdo, but that would cut out Leia and Luke reunion. So they left is as it was and the next guy will have to sort it out. And the Luke fate was always this grand gesture to keep the rebelion alive and became a legend. I dig it. After the second time of course. The first time was all "whaa?".

But I feel like Luke can come back in the IX. He can be a comedy force ghost like Yoda. Maybe not showing to Rey, but to Kylo to make him more frustrated.

They will keep Chewie around I think. And there are rumours that Lando may come back, cause the started working out. Hopefully C3PO will be once again reduced to cameos.

I have this suspicion that if Lando is Episode IX he will turn up right at the end as Chewie's lift to Kashyyyk.

Quote Originally Posted by Internets View Post
    I have this suspicion that if Lando is Episode IX he will turn up right at the end as Chewie's lift to Kashyyyk.
    In the Lady Luck.

At this point adding Lando kind of seems almost pointless, since all of his old friends will be dead. I guess Nien Nunb survived, so maybe he could actually have more of a role than he has up to this point.

When I first saw the scene with Leia in space I actually thought they might have killed her because it looked like she was semi-transparent and you could see the stars behind her. I guess that was supposed to be space dust from the explosion, though. It would have been better that way but yeah it was good she had that reunion with Luke.

A comedy force ghost to harrass Kylo Ren? Lol that would be interesting...

That people are rooting for comedy force ghosts of the most popular hero from the saga is just further evidence that my interest in modern Star Wars is sub-zero.

Star award used to perfectly balance gravity and humor. Now it doesn’t know what it wants to be.

In response to Leia, I feel that they couldve edit/cut out the space walk scene after Carrie's passing, tweeted her later scenes, and used the "reunion" as a means to show she was force sensitive by having her as a force spirit only luke could communicate with or see even. And they sure as hell had time to cut out the luke fading away death scene. But now given how tlj was finalized, ep9 may not do any worse if they revealed tlj luke was really "luuke" ( who thought he was the real luke-- again borrow and twist a plot from classic EU) and a ploy set up by snoke to lure the real luke out because he knew rey eventually woyld be "awaken". Heck, make tlj snoke a fake as well to trick kylo. Let's go for broke and say snoke is still alive and really is/was Ezra and his transformation is a result of the crazy final arc of rebels.

One last thing...ep9 could revisit the sarlac pit and have kk and rj fall in.

Page 55 of 57 FirstFirst ... 5455354555657 LastLast