Page 2 of 69 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 683

Thread: Rogue One Thoughts & Reviews

  1. #11
    ^^^ Must see now LOL
    Last edited by farmer; 12-12-2016 at 12:52 PM.

  2. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by darthsatan View Post
    I'm going to actually watch the film first and see if I enjoy it or not before I venture forth with an opinion. Radical?
    IF ..IF this is a response to my post, this response misrepresents my argument as I was not criticizing the entire film. Rather I was commenting on some of the observable real world political positions in much of Star Wars media and in particular a few of the clips I have seen.

  3. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by farmer View Post
    Not so much Kathleen’s fault-- or to her credit since she is nowhere near the social/political innovator, nor the risk-taking visionary she may have convinced middle-America/ the average family that she is.

    It’s just the mood of the masses at the moment: Girls/women are always in the superior, positive, higher ground position/role, as are POC, in mainstream films/media. Disney and SW is as mainstream as it gets, so the fact that Kathleen is just pandering to the masses, shouldn’t be a surprise. And she is definitely undeserving of any social/political sway she may think she has. She’s just obediently towing corporate line. People like her and JJ are the death of creativity.

    But I absolutely agree with you July, that it has nothing to do with “equality”: It’s compensating, it’s patronizing, and it’s affirmative action at work here.

    Cobalt posted a great commentary on the extreme-bais towards “white men”, while women and POC in mainstream films/media are pampered and celebrated to such heights in the now-locked thread about Disney/Kathleen. Sadly, there will always be those that are so predictably blind in their party lines towing— whether that’s conservative or liberal, that rather than discuss his thoughtful post, which was pure logic and reason, and had nothing to do with support of either liberal/conservative mindset, there just had to be the “usual suspects” ranting, insulting, antagonizing on either side.

    Anyway, RO could still be a decent, even a good story (maybe even... great?). I don’t mind Jyn being a Mary Sue/ Superwoman since I’ve always been drawn to lethal women in films, as long as the story is one that’s strong and interesting: If Gareth is able to-- or allowed to, bring a fresh sensibility to the tried-and tested formula that Disney is so insistent on for SW, then there may still be... hope (although all those reshoot and recut stories are a tad discouraging), that this will be a fun and strong story. I'm still open. And as predicted, Gareth’s visual tone seems to be the star of the show, and in these tepid, polite, and dumbed-down Disney times, that’s not such a terrible thing. The last visually-striking SW film was ESB… TPM had some sparks of vision (The helicopter shot of the TF at the doorsteps of the Theed Palace alone was worldbuilding…), but it’s been a drought since 1999 in terms of anything remotely original, fresh, visionary, or risk-taking when it comes to SW.
    Well said and I agree Rogue One can still be a great film, I know I find it more exciting and it seems to be more creative than episode 7.

  4. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by Julythrunov View Post
    I think I figured out what's going on with Star Wars and Disney, and why Star Wars is...well becoming what it's becoming. While it has been discussed and argued over at length, it's clear the problem is Kathleen Kennedy. She's got a a specific agenda and it's affecting the outcome of the films. She's going off the deep end with her girl power politics. From the over powered Rey to Jin. I just watched ANOTHER clip, of Jin being rescued and you guessed it. She beats all the men up, even though she's being "rescued" by them. It's another "I don't need no man" moment. If you watch the scene it doesn't even make sense. What's the motives here? This is right after Kennedy announced her search for female directors as well as her tweets about her team being female. If you think this is "equality", you're an idiot.
    Look at ESPN. i assume Kathleen Kennedy is not in charge there.

    Quote Originally Posted by farmer View Post
    It’s just the mood of the masses at the moment
    Is it? I think people are confusing the masses with people in certain professions and positions.

  5. #15
    Some of these posts are embarrassing.

  6. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by farmer View Post
    Not so much Kathleen’s fault-- or to her credit since she is nowhere near the social/political innovator, nor the risk-taking visionary she may have convinced middle-America/ the average family that she is.

    It’s just the mood of the masses at the moment: Girls/women are always in the superior, positive, higher ground position/role, as are POC, in mainstream films/media. Disney and SW is as mainstream as it gets, so the fact that Kathleen is just pandering to the masses, shouldn’t be a surprise. And she is definitely undeserving of any social/political sway she may think she has. She’s just obediently towing corporate line. People like her and JJ are the death of creativity.

    But I absolutely agree with you July, that it has nothing to do with “equality”: It’s compensating, it’s patronizing, and it’s affirmative action at work here.

    Cobalt posted a great commentary on the extreme-bais towards “white men”, while women and POC in mainstream films/media are pampered and celebrated to such heights in the now-locked thread about Disney/Kathleen. Sadly, there will always be those that are so predictably blind in their party lines towing— whether that’s conservative or liberal, that rather than discuss his thoughtful post, which was pure logic and reason, and had nothing to do with support of either liberal/conservative mindset, there just had to be the “usual suspects” ranting, insulting, antagonizing on either side.

    Anyway, RO could still be a decent, even a good story (maybe even... great?). I don’t mind Jyn being a Mary Sue/ Superwoman since I’ve always been drawn to lethal women in films, as long as the story is one that’s strong and interesting: If Gareth is able to-- or allowed to, bring a fresh sensibility to the tried-and tested formula that Disney is so insistent on for SW, then there may still be... hope (although all those reshoot and recut stories are a tad discouraging), that this will be a fun and strong story. I'm still open. And as predicted, Gareth’s visual tone seems to be the star of the show, and in these tepid, polite, and dumbed-down Disney times, that’s not such a terrible thing. The last visually-striking SW film was ESB… TPM had some sparks of vision (The helicopter shot of the TF at the doorsteps of the Theed Palace alone was worldbuilding…), but it’s been a drought since 1999 in terms of anything remotely original, fresh, visionary, or risk-taking when it comes to SW.
    Jyn isnt a "superwoman" or a "lethal woman". Jyn is just a normal woman. She doesnt have special powers, it just so happens that she is a woman. Its a total non-starter.
    Most wanted figures: Vedain, Luke Bespin (Beatup version), Fozec, Taym Dren Garen, Sim Aloo

  7. #17
    ^^^ Yes, Jyn is just like Bridget Jones....

    Star Wars is a space fairy tale-- nothing of it is "normal". Don't be so literal: I was using the term "Superwoman" in a figurative sense and nothing even approaching criticism nor mockery.

    Quote Originally Posted by Julythrunov View Post
    Well said and I agree Rogue One can still be a great film, I know I find it more exciting and it seems to be more creative than episode 7.
    A doc on tofu-making is infinitely more creative than TFA. At leas that doc is showing something new— TFA is just an expensive, wallpaper-bland cosplay tribute act to the OT produced by a marketing team.

    Even if the characters annoy in this, I’ve been won over by Gareth’s overwhelmingly impressive sets— seemingly treating the environments in RO as formidable personalities of their own; even the DS— which by now, under any other circumstances feel so tired, looks so alive, so brutally imposing and… appropriately deadly in all its impossibly, colossal weight, is freshly impressive. I got that from him since Monsters, and as much as I didn’t care for Godzilla— which is not at all his fault, just as a personal preference, I’ve always found the monster Godzilla so silly. Add to it that Bryan Cranston and Juliette Binoche having the exact same haircut, the film was unwatchable for me. (I did love the soldiers diving into the dark city with only their flares lighting their descend to certain dooms: It was beautifully filmed. So, I am glad Gareth wasn’t totally stripped off his strong sense of style for RO.

    I won’t be seeing RO until the new year, since none of my friends care for SW and I won’t have time to indulge in this guilty pleasure on my own anytime soon. I hope you’ll enjoy it July, along with the likes of Cobalt and those that didn’t care for TFA. You guys that are infinitely more devoted to SW, but still critical of it and always demanding the best of it rather than settling for cheapness, definitely deserve a SW up to your standards. Gareth is the only name involved with a “Star War” so far that I can be hopeful of delivering some sophistication, some style and risk.


    The reviews that have been petering in all seem positive for this little film. But then so were the ones that initially came in for AOTC, ROTS… and if anyone were to read the reviews for TFA, they’d be convinced it’s leagues ahead of ESB… I can’t blame fandom for instantly loving anything SW: Heroine addicts also can’t wait to get their next fix LOL
    Last edited by farmer; 12-13-2016 at 11:01 AM.

  8. #18
    Got tickets for the Thursday 10:15pm showing.. going with my buddy who is also a star wars fanatic like me..
    Watching it a second time on Sunday with my wife and son...

  9. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by farmer View Post
    ^^^ Yes, Jyn is just like Bridget Jones....

    Star Wars is a space fairy tale-- nothing of it is "normal". Don't be so literal: I was using the term "Superwoman" in a figurative sense and nothing even approaching criticism nor mockery.



    A doc on tofu-making is infinitely more creative than TFA. At leas that doc is showing something new— TFA is just an expensive, wallpaper-bland cosplay tribute act to the OT produced by a marketing team.

    Even if the characters annoy in this, I’ve been won over by Gareth’s overwhelmingly impressive sets— seemingly treating the environments in RO as formidable personalities of their own; even the DS— which by now, under any other circumstances feel so tired, looks so alive, so brutally imposing and… appropriately deadly in all its impossibly, colossal weight, is freshly impressive. I got that from him since Monsters, and as much as I didn’t care for Godzilla— which is not at all his fault, just as a personal preference, I’ve always found the monster Godzilla so silly. Add to it that Bryan Cranston and Juliette Binoche having the exact same haircut, the film was unwatchable for me. (I did love the soldiers diving into the dark city with only their flares lighting their descend to certain dooms: It was beautifully filmed. So, I am glad Gareth wasn’t totally stripped off his strong sense of style for RO.

    I won’t be seeing RO until the new year, since none of my friends care for SW and I won’t have time to indulge in this guilty pleasure on my own anytime soon. I hope you’ll enjoy it July, along with the likes of Cobalt and those that didn’t care for TFA. You guys that are infinitely more devoted to SW, but still critical of it and always demanding the best of it rather than settling for cheapness, definitely deserve a SW up to your standards. Gareth is the only name involved with a “Star War” so far that I can be hopeful of delivering some sophistication, some style and risk.


    The reviews that have been petering in all seem positive for this little film. But then so were the ones that initially came in for AOTC, ROTS… and if anyone were to read the reviews for TFA, they’d be convinced it’s leagues ahead of ESB… I can’t blame fandom for instantly loving anything SW: Heroine addicts also can’t wait to get their next fix LOL
    R1 is definitely a better film than TFA narratively. And I wasnt taking your comment of "superwoman" literally, actually. I know what you were saying, and that said Jyn isnt that at all. She is just a normal person, she isnt superman and she isnt the Chosen One. That makes this story better IMO.
    Most wanted figures: Vedain, Luke Bespin (Beatup version), Fozec, Taym Dren Garen, Sim Aloo

  10. #20
    Quote Originally Posted by Internets View Post
    Some of these posts are embarrassing.
    Snipping from the far corner instead of engaging with what you disagree with is more embarrassing. With rebelscum traffic you don't even have to worry about not having the time to respond.

Page 2 of 69 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •