Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Darth Vader

Less articulation?
    Looking for:R3-H17, L3-37
    Sale List, Trade List, Non SW trades & Feedback

Quote Originally Posted by Grak View Post
    Can anyone spot any noticeable differences between ROTS and ANH versions?
    The onscreen armor or the toys? If you are talking about the onscreen character, then the differences are easy to spot (symmetrical helmet on the ROTS version, scrawny Hayden Christensen frame instead of David Prowse's bodybuilder frame, etc.). If you're asking about the figures, then it really just depends on which specific figures you are talking about.
    Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split. - Robert E. Howard

Quote Originally Posted by Grak View Post
    Can anyone spot any noticeable differences between ROTS and ANH versions?
    Between costumes? Tons. ROTS doesn't really look like Vader to me. Helmet is completely different. Chest armor is attached at the shoulders to fake the look of a large Vader. All other Vader armors had separate shoulder pieces. Tunic went over the chest armor. No silver present in the armor. Red lenses. Dirty non glossy helmet. Were the ROTS gloves the same as empire and Jedi?

No Vader suit was identical movie to movie. ESB is still my favorite design.

This looks like a good ANH Vader. He might replace my death star clash/commtech hybrid figure.
    “What’s a Star War?”

Quote Originally Posted by Maverick10126 View Post
    Between costumes? Tons. ROTS doesn't really look like Vader to me. Helmet is completely different. Chest armor is attached at the shoulders to fake the look of a large Vader. All other Vader armors had separate shoulder pieces. Tunic went over the chest armor. No silver present in the armor. Red lenses. Dirty non glossy helmet. Were the ROTS gloves the same as empire and Jedi?

No Vader suit was identical movie to movie. ESB is still my favorite design.

This looks like a good ANH Vader. He might replace my death star clash/commtech hybrid figure.
    Yeah, the ROTS Darth Vader is like the Ep1 puppet Yoda - Lucas' attempt to improve upon an iconic design that ends up being worse in every way.

I love the ANH armor because it's the original, classic design, however, I agree that the ESB armor is my favorite.

Many of the differences are things that people need to train their eyes to see; but, just like differences between the ANH/ESB Stormtroopers and the ROTJ Stormtroopers, once you learn to see them you can never unsee them. So, I understand how some people would rather live in blissful ignorance and continue to be under the impression that these characters remained identical from movie to movie.
    Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split. - Robert E. Howard

Lieutenant Commander

I'm really digging this. I had no intention of buying any more Vaders, but seeing this guy on the card, new sculpt and all... Man. Took me right back to being 5 years old again. Easy buy for sure. I can't wait.

Quote Originally Posted by bigbarada View Post
    Yeah, the ROTS Darth Vader is like the Ep1 puppet Yoda - Lucas' attempt to improve upon an iconic design that ends up being worse in every way.

I love the ANH armor because it's the original, classic design, however, I agree that the ESB armor is my favorite.

Many of the differences are things that people need to train their eyes to see; but, just like differences between the ANH/ESB Stormtroopers and the ROTJ Stormtroopers, once you learn to see them you can never unsee them. So, I understand how some people would rather live in blissful ignorance and continue to be under the impression that these characters remained identical from movie to movie.
    They had a great iconic design for ANH and ESB was the natural evolution/improvement on that design. Then they tweaked it again in Jedi just because they could. They should have stopped at empire. Same with the voice. It sounds better in empire. They made Vader too sad in Jedi.

By the time ROTS came around it was a given it would be tweaked again. I really don't get why they thought it would be a good idea to completely change our "first look" at the costume.
    “What’s a Star War?”

Other than the panel being a little too low, I'm all about vader's ANH look. The robes over the chest piece add a lot of elegance (always loved that shot of him standing at attention without his cape in the SW storybook), the horizontal stitching on the gloves contrasts well with the vertical stitching on his suit and the top of the helmet sits a little lower making him look more menacing (the matte finish probably has a lot to do with this as well).
    Plus it harkens back to Mcquarrie's original intent with vader's suit with it simply being distinct looking space flight gear and none of that nonsense of him being this clunky, space frankenstein cyborg reliant on a suit for survival.
    His ESB look is ace as well but his original look will always be my favorite.

One thing I think is crucial for an accurate Vader face is the dark silver highlights. It doesn't matter how well you sculpt the helmet, if the face is solid black it will never look right. The real Vader actually had more silver on his face than he did black.
    TK-114
    Imperial Stormcustomizer
    Alias: Net-Viper X
    Check out my website to see more Star Wars customs. My Rebel Scum Feedback Thread

Quote Originally Posted by TK114 View Post
    One thing I think is crucial for an accurate Vader face is the dark silver highlights. It doesn't matter how well you sculpt the helmet, if the face is solid black it will never look right. The real Vader actually had more silver on his face than he did black.
    Was it silver? I thought it was more of a dark grey-black. I know what you mean though. I'm fine with them skipping that detail on a toy. That was done purely to create depth when filming. The helmet is supposed to be black.
    “What’s a Star War?”

Quote Originally Posted by GNT View Post
    Here's the new Rogue One Darth Vader:

Thoughts on this figure? Who's going to be picking this one up?
    Hadn't seen this posted

Vader out of box pic.

It is the mission of each true Jedi Knight... His duty... nay, his privilege!
    To dream, the impossible dream... To fight, the uneatable foe... To reach the unreachable star!
    This is my quest, to follow that star. No matter how hopeless, no matter how far.

Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast