Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Thrawn by Timothy Zahn

There's a very brief description on Amazon about the book:

"In this definitive novel, readers will follow Thrawn’s rise to power—uncovering the events that created one of the most iconic villains in
    Star Wars history."

So I guess this is going to be pre-Thrawn trilogy book?
    If this is the case, I can see how they will allow the Rebels on the show outsmart him from time to time.

Never read any of theT hrawn books when they came out. By that time I had VERY little interest in SW.
    While I've always loved to read, science fiction reading just never called my interest.
    Up until recently with a few books like Lost Stars, Before the Awakening and The Weapon of a Jedi, the only books I had ever read (besides the OT books) were Shadows of the Empire and some Boba Fett novel.

But now, my interest has been awoken. Recently snagged all three Thrawn books in the last week and am eager to read them.
    Of course, I'll have grab this new one right away since it will probably be at a decent price. If I wait to get it after reading all three, they'll be a hefty price to pay I think.
    Last edited by HappyNoodleBoy; 07-27-2016 at 02:48 PM.
    MOC? We don't need no steenkin' cards!
    My Feedback

I never read Zahn's Outbound Flight, but doesn't Thrawn Show up in that one as well? For some reason, I'm thinking part of Thrawn's backstory has been in some written form before. Thrawn is a character that can easily slip back into the new continuity (at least pre-Jedi), so I wonder how much of his past will Change.

If I'm wrong in thinking that we know some of Thrawn's past, please somebody correct me.
    #1 want: Admiral Piett (3.75" TVC line)

I'd like to exercise my right to free speech, but I really don't have anything to say at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by Trooper31 View Post
    I never read Zahn's Outbound Flight, but doesn't Thrawn Show up in that one as well? For some reason, I'm thinking part of Thrawn's backstory has been in some written form before. Thrawn is a character that can easily slip back into the new continuity (at least pre-Jedi), so I wonder how much of his past will Change.

If I'm wrong in thinking that we know some of Thrawn's past, please somebody correct me.
    Outbound Flight is part of a two-parter you could say.

It was published after Survivor's Quest, though in-continuity it occurs before it. Much like the PT came out after the OT but really tells the beginning of the story that the OT continues.

Outbound Flight was our earliest in-continuity contact with Thrawn, so I would say between both books, this is where we find out about his background. I can't say specifically how much, but yes the story between both books does reveal details of Thrawn and Chiss life.

If you specifically just wanted to read about Thrawn directly and learn some background I might say just read Outbound Flight. But Survivor's Quest was written first and the focus of that book deals with something that actually took place much earlier. After reading it, you would (well the idea is that you would) want to know what Outbound Flight actually was, and would then want to read it, and 'conclude' the story from Survivor's Quest, by finding out how it actually started.

Outbound Flight was a Jedi mission out of the galaxy that disappeared and no one knows what happened to it, until Survivor's Quest. And I think that was more of a discovery of the ships involved with questions about the details, which Outbound Flight obviously supplies. What were the background events that led to the events surrounding the discovery. If you would want to enjoy both parts of the story read both books. Thrawn is only in Outbound Flight, but as Survivor's Quest concludes the story, more details about him may come about in it. I can't say for sure, and don't want to reveal any specifics of either book.

I would suggest reading it in published order, not chronological order, if anyone wishes to find out about this story regardless of whether or not it 'counts' in today's continuity.
    Last edited by Sizzzler; 07-28-2016 at 04:10 AM.
    Republic Commando; greatest EU storyline ever. Its failure to complete is a genuine literary loss.
    Now the entire EU's failure to continue, to even matter, is a greater loss.
    My Feedback Thread In Here ---> http://forum.rebelscum.com/t1084715/

Thanks for the info. I haven't read either of those books, but I know that somewhere along the line I picked up bits about Thhrawn that were not from Zahn's first three Thrawn books. The Mara Jade books with the stormtroopers had some Thrawn in them as well, but I don't think there was much Background info on Thrawn there, but I was sure that somewhere along the line there was earlier stuff about Thrawn.

Having read those books, do you think that if Zahn incorporates what he's already told us about Thrawn that there are still enough Details to fill in the blanks or do you think those early parts could be boring?

I ask because I'm a Little nervous of how the Story Group wants Zahn to go Forward with the Thrawn book (although the book must already be finished at this Point). I'm wondering if Zahn can pretty much leave Thrawn as is or if he'll have to make any continuity compromises (which I doubt for anything pre-Jedi).

I'd like to exercise my right to free speech, but I really don't have anything to say at the moment.

Thanks for the info. I haven't read either of those books, but I know that somewhere along the line I picked up bits about Thhrawn that were not from Zahn's first three Thrawn books. The Mara Jade books with the stormtroopers had some Thrawn in them as well, but I don't think there was much Background info on Thrawn there, but I was sure that somewhere along the line there was earlier stuff about Thrawn.

Having read those books, do you think that if Zahn incorporates what he's already told us about Thrawn that there are still enough Details to fill in the blanks or do you think those early parts could be boring?

I ask because I'm a Little nervous of how the Story Group wants Zahn to go Forward with the Thrawn book (although the book must already be finished at this Point). I'm wondering if Zahn can pretty much leave Thrawn as is or if he'll have to make any continuity compromises (which I doubt for anything pre-Jedi).
    Hmmn, I don't quite have a direct answer, or opinion to give, because I'm not following any new Star Wars stories since the Disney purchase. I don't know anything from any Marvel comic, TFA, Rebels, or any of the novels that have come out, to know what changes have been made, to form opinions on whether or not Thrawn's EU history can stay intact.
    In a general sense, he had a falling out with his people over philosophy or tactics you could say, and that was how we ended up getting to know him in our galaxy. If any new stories make keeping those EU ones intact impossible, I guess that concept can stay intact as a new background is written that accommodates any new canonical stories. So I guess the mindset, attitude, and philosophy of Thrawn could stay the same, even if the details and events are altered. But since I don't know if anything has been altered, I don't know if his background can stay intact or not.
    Last edited by Sizzzler; 07-28-2016 at 03:32 PM.
    Republic Commando; greatest EU storyline ever. Its failure to complete is a genuine literary loss.

Thanks for the Input. I've read some of the new stuff and I really don't think it would be a Problem to Keep his backstory almost as is, but I guess it's up the the storygroup and where they want to steer things. It's possible that they want specific things from the pre-ANH era to be left alone in case they decide to revisit that area in a few years.

I can remember how between AOTC and ROTS they had a number of novels and Comics that were supposed to be telling the Story of what was going on in the years between the films. Then in 2008, they came out with TCW and that basically changed anything that had come before, so they might want to steer clear of certain places and Events that were mentioned in previous Thrawn stories.

Thanks for the Input. I've read some of the new stuff and I really don't think it would be a Problem to Keep his backstory almost as is, but I guess it's up the the storygroup and where they want to steer things. It's possible that they want specific things from the pre-ANH era to be left alone in case they decide to revisit that area in a few years.

I can remember how between AOTC and ROTS they had a number of novels and Comics that were supposed to be telling the Story of what was going on in the years between the films. Then in 2008, they came out with TCW and that basically changed anything that had come before, so they might want to steer clear of certain places and Events that were mentioned in previous Thrawn stories.
    Yeah, I didn't think anything had already come about directly, but it's as you said, where they want to steer things may cause the conflict. They may have stories plotted where his past details must be altered, but these stories may not come out for years, so to fans right now, there may not seem to be any conflicts, but internally they know there are going to be.

This is further off the topic so anyone only interested in Thrawn can skip this.
    I'm in maybe my fourth year of rereading the EU in chronological order from start to finish. I finished the PT era earlier this year, so I can still give an overview on those conflicts you mentioned. Essentially there was one full pass of novels and comics between AotC and RotS before The Clone Wars TV show came about. That show brought about Rex and Ahsoka who were not in the existing pass. A second pass of novels and comics came about where they were involved directly in, or at least existed in the galaxy at the time.

To make it all work, you basically need to consider that entire Pre TCW pass to exist before TCW show and everything that came about in that second pass. The most direct references that cause conflict are towards Anakin and whether he is a Padawan or a Knight, at what point did he change. Mentions of time frame in regards to what stage of the wars they occur also need to be ignored. A story might be said to be in the later stages of the war when now you must think of it as in the first half, but this isn't so bad, because in rearranging the stories, they feel like they can occur in a new order. The action works and dates aren't a linchpin.

The next most serious changes I would say deal with the status of Ventress and Barriss Offee as they had certain histories that were altered even before the Disney purchase. The death of Even Piell also was changed by TCW.

There are some stories from that pre TCW pass that don't account for Rex and Ahsoka but do go right up to RotS, so you can't push them up to the first half of the war. However, it is not difficult to read them where they were written, and just think of it as after Ahsoka left the order, so she doesn't 'exist' in Obi-Wan and Anakin's world any more.

My point is this was the stretch with the most hiccups in it, but it could all be juggled into a mostly manageable order, with a handful of issues that you need to just accept as this is what happens when you try to rewrite over a period. I'm a stickler for detail in my continuity and I could live with the juggling, and the handful of situations that just couldn't be worked out cleanly.
    Anyway, I just wanted to address something else that you brought up, that wasn't about Thrawn.

Well anything prior to Rebels can still stay the same. Anything after that would more than likely be altered to fit with what happens on the show. Also may have to alter anything post ROTJ, where he came in direct contact with Luke etc. Unless it stays like it is, as unexplored history.
    Looking for:R3-H17, L3-37
    Sale List, Trade List, Non SW trades & Feedback

I have high hopes for this novel, and am confident Zahn will knock it out of the park.

My concern is the timeline placement of Thrawn in the canon. We're rapidly losing airspace pre-ANH for a character like Thrawn to move about and do his thing. I believe the novel fleshes out Thrawn's backstory prior to Rebels. But whatever he does after his entrance into the Rebels story doesn't have as much room to breathe as I'd hope for.
    There's always a bigger fish.

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast