Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: BS 6" Golan Arms DF9 Hoth rebel turret

BS 6" Golan Arms DF9 Hoth rebel turret

Hello

I've started a few things before, but never got around to do more work on them, and now I've done it again, only this time, I've put more effort into it.

It's for the Black Series 6 inch figures and it's supposed to resemble the DF9 turret, as seen in Empire Strikes Back.
    The proces, roughly (put in spoiler tag, because of lots of text):
      Spoiler:  
    I started out by finding the measurements available, and it says they are about 4 meters tall and 2,5 meters wide at the bottom base. In 6 inch sizes it's about 13.12 inches tall and 8.20 inches wide. Then I went searching for blueprints, reference photos etc.

The part that drove me most nuts (as of now) was the truncated cone; how to calculate it and draw it, but it worked out. I cut out a couple of rings of foamboard to have some sturdy templates and drew and cut some more from currogated cardboard to make the shapes of the bottom, fillers for the middle, and top of the rotating part. Then I drew on top of the blue prints in illustrator to get a feel for how many layers of cardboard to put on top of eachother. Then glued these layers together, taped a ring of carton around them and filled it up with expansive foam - and used wayyy more than nescessary!
    After that had hardened, I cut away the excess foam until my "rings" started to show and thereby have the sloping shape I wanted.
    Then sanded it down to have a smoother surface.
    My next problem was to cover the cut edges and I tried a few things: Glue, hot glue, wall filler and body filler. The glue took forever, so I went with the body filler and used it on the angled surfaces too. Just a thin layer to fill out and cover holes.

So here are the first 15 images of the process - I have more, but haven't copied those over yet.

As of now it is mostly the rotating tower I have been working on. I have drilled a hole for the operator to stand in - it will be visible in the next set of photos

Last edited by Oofa; 07-16-2017 at 09:10 AM.
    "her arc is to actually get bored of being powerful" - MauLer on YT, A Critique of SWTLJ, p.3

My custom Hoth Rebel Turret thread

Next set of wip images.

Drilled small holes to make the manhole in the turret, first with a smaller sized drill, then a larger and then using my multitool to cut/sand/grind away the rest.
    I wasn't aiming for it to be approx. the same diameter as a beer can, but lo and behold, it fits perfectly! So I used some steel wool to grind off the print and buff it to some degree.
    The middlesection consist of 2 pieces of currogated cardboard that I glued together and made a hole through to fit the top and bottom. As you can see, I have a thin wooden stick in the middle to make sure they stay in place. So now I am trying to figure out how the gun barrel should fit.

"her arc is to actually get bored of being powerful" - MauLer on YT, A Critique of SWTLJ, p.3

This is an interesting build! Thanks for the WIP pics. They are quite helpful!

Pegging/pinning things for stability is really important. Just keep in mind where they might intersect.

Thank you, Sir I am thinking of making the inside hollow so there actually will be room for the rest of the 3-man crew

So assembling the pieces temporarily, it looks like this:

Next up was how to make it all fit together.
    I decided to use a cardboard tube from paper towels as the center pillar. But the manhole is overlapping into it, so I filled it with expansive foam, normally used for walls etc. (but it's cheap).
    Also I wanted to make a straight inner tube so there will be no angled walls inside the turret.
    When the foam cured I cut it to fit the center and cut steps into it. Placed it to see how it all looked. And then I cut a door in the outer wall.
    Last image is seen from inside and up trough the manhole.

36. New "body" test. And a new method for making it fit better. The first was a bit leaning to one side.
    37. Base needed seperators to cover that "step" half way round. Some references only a quarter is a step, some it's 4 quarters.
    38. Styrofoam cutting a half circle on the diy styrofoam cutter.
    39 Fitting the pieces in between the seperators.
    40. Cutting them to size and the approx. right angle.
    41. Seen from above.
    42. After sanding the second application of spackle/body filler.
    43. Plates on top of the turret.
    44. Plate armor/wall/deco on the outer wall of the turret.

I'm enjoying your WIPs.

How'd you make the cutter?

Quote Originally Posted by Utinniii View Post
    I'm enjoying your WIPs.

How'd you make the cutter?
    A friend of mine made it I had an idea for it, and he just threw some wood pieces together and made sure the wirings etc was right - he's tech savy that way

Floating through the Alderaan debris field

Oofa, I've been watching this custom for awhile looking for inspiration when it comes to building my own. This thing is a thing of beauty. Just curious, have you figured out how you plan to make the cannon?

I ask, because at this stage of your build, I'd be tempted to add LED's to it. Perhaps a few random colors for the interior (monitors, scopes, perhaps a hologram generator), and red lights for the cannon barrel. Would be easier to set the wiring and switches now rather than after its finished.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hound
    "Sounds like a bad idea.. But, I'm all about Bad Ideas."

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast