Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Model Kits- Bandai, Fine Molds, Revell, etc

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01F5...MjL&ref=plSrch

Amazon has it.....

Quote Originally Posted by DarthPete View Post
    I was actually just popping in to this thread to see if anyone had seen or knew when the big Star Destroyer set from revell was coming out.

Quote Originally Posted by Sturm86 View Post
    I've been watching this video again and i've decided to get the Revell U-Wing. I'm not a huge fan of the design of the ship and before even seeing Hasbro's or Revell's versions I already had decided I'll pass, but for $20 it's a nice model and it will look great after a bit of weathering. I came to really enjoy the look of the ship with the wings opened, it fits totally into the ANH feeling that way (much more than when it's displayed with wings closed).
    "Bobby U-Wing"

So not having seen itsme's tip (thanks btw), I had signed up on tru.com to be notified when the Star Destroyer model was in stock. I got the notification, and ordered it. Then... nothing happened. So a week goes by and I e-mail and call and get a back and forth about there being a shipping issue or something. So I ask to cancel the order because I can get it elsewhere right away (by that point) and they told me they couldn't cancel the order because it had processed "too far" mind you they hadn't even charged me for it yet. They said the only way to cancel the order is to wait for it to ship, then refuse delivery and after it goes back they would issue a refund. Long story short after explaining to several people why that was stupid, they canceled the order for me. So, little cautionary tale there. I guess.

Anyway, I ordered the model from Amazon, it came at the end of last week. It's worth every penny (IMO), it's a fantastic largish Star Destroyer. Assembly takes only a couple of minutes. I wasn't really happy with the plastic grey color. So I gave it a spray coat of white. I'd have preferred a more ivory white, but flat white is what I had on hand. Decided to give it a wash too. This is only the second time I've black-washed something and the previous was a dark green castle greyskull. Quite a difference in the two working surfaces.

I'm tepidly pleased with the wash. I don't think it shows too well in the pics but it's a little uneven in the broad tone. And some of the crevices along the surface of the SD were pretty shallow to begin with so after the white coat some of them just didn't hold the black very well.

FYI, I painted everything white before assembly. There were no tolerance issues putting it together except for the bridge which was pretty tight. I wanted to paint before assembly to avoid getting any on the "engine assembly" (electronics, lights and speaker). In hindsight you can assemble most the entire thing and then attach the top and bottom, so for the next one I might do that. Because I'm definitely getting a few of these to hang. ...but I'll probably just go ivory or slight off white on the rest.

Also, apologies for the pics being sideways...
    Also, apologies for being an impatient poorly equipped photographer...

That's such a tempting piece, and some additional paint goes a long way! I've yet to buy any of these models, but capital ships do peek my interest.

Looks very nice, I'll have to give it try!
    See you around, kid.

Looks like you did a great job mate, well done!
    And when he gets to heaven, to Saint Peter he will tell, one more soldier reporting sir, I've served my time in hell
    Inter Arma Enim Silent Leges

Thanks all! I appreciate the kind words!

Looks great! Can you post a side-by-side with the Collector's Fleet Star Destroyer made by Kenner in 1997. If this is a hit, Revell should seriously consider branching out with capital ships, as hardly any company has before when it comes to Star Wars. Super Star Destroyer, Trade Federation Droid Control Ship, Acclmator Class Cruiser, Separatist Frigate, The Invisible Hand, Death Star II, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Tyranusspotting View Post
    Looks great! Can you post a side-by-side with the Collector's Fleet Star Destroyer made by Kenner in 1997. If this is a hit, Revell should seriously consider branching out with capital ships, as hardly any company has before when it comes to Star Wars. Super Star Destroyer, Trade Federation Droid Control Ship, Acclmator Class Cruiser, Separatist Frigate, The Invisible Hand, Death Star II, etc.
    Thanks!

I'm afraid I don't have one. I had the Collector's Fleet Super Star Destroyer years ago but traded it off. Off the top of my head I can say the detail is superbly better on this one. And actually given what the CF ships go for on the secondary market there's no contest $/$.

And I'm right there with you, give us some more larger model sets!

Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast