Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What was the "official" number on ROTJ 2 packs?

What was the "official" number on ROTJ 2 packs?

Been reading Kellermans book and going over just about everything with a fine tooth comb. Been putting in extra research with the use of the Internet with additional info on whats talked about in the book. I got to the part of the mailers and different packs. Dug into the old threads here on the ROTJ 2 packs.

My question is- what was the "official" tally or numbers on how many of these were/are in existence? was it 1400ish or was that number changed over time? Have we lost some of these due to their very thin plastic bubbles?

Quote Originally Posted by Hoth_My_Fav View Post
    Been reading Kellermans book and going over just about everything with a fine tooth comb. Been putting in extra research with the use of the Internet with additional info on whats talked about in the book. I got to the part of the mailers and different packs. Dug into the old threads here on the ROTJ 2 packs.

My question is- what was the "official" tally or numbers on how many of these were/are in existence? was it 1400ish or was that number changed over time? Have we lost some of these due to their very thin plastic bubbles?
    Very few have been destroyed. The heat seals on these are quite sturdy. The bubbles really don't yellow either. The main problem is denting. There has been a succession of collectors who have attempted to amass every character in a 2 pack and have built up massive collections (David DeGregory, Todd DeMartino, myself, and now, Scott Olden). I just have 16 left down from just under 200. Scott has well over 200. Each of us has assiduously collected data on 2 packs owned by other collectors and, in turn, passed that on to the new steward of the 2 Pack central collection. This database reflects only the collecting community, those that pop up on ebay, and those in the AFA record, so it is only a representative sample, not a comprehensive inventory. New ones are always surfacing. They are still pretty darn rare for a Kenner production item in my opinion

edit: Todd D will have a chapter devoted solely to these whenever his book is finally published. There will be some good statistical info in there too, but I can't quite recall if the details are supposed to be a surprise, so I will stay mum for now. Knowing which characters are rare in 2 packs has been the province of those with the data (however, I have always helped others here on RS when asked about specific figures). If the full data set ever becomes public, it will double and triple the prices of some combos/figures that go for bargain prices now.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1983-KENNER-...UAAOSws4JW8MSc

A friend in Denmark won this one (so I refrained form bidding). It is a triple rarity: ESB figure (IG-88) rather than ROTJ (most common); weapon; AND rare Montgomery Ward price sticker (99% are Kaybee)
    Last edited by Jimmy_2Pack; 04-05-2016 at 10:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy_2Pack View Post
    Very few have been destroyed. The heat seals on these are quite sturdy. The bubbles really don't yellow either. The main problem is denting. There has been a succession of collectors who have attempted to amass every character in a 2 pack and have built up massive collections (David DeGregory, Todd DeMartino, myself, and now, Scott Olden). I just have 16 left down from just under 200. Scott has well over 200. Each of us has assiduously collected data on 2 packs owned by other collectors and, in turn, passed that on to the new steward of the 2 Pack central collection. This database reflects only the collecting community, those that pop up on ebay, and those in the AFA record, so it is only a representative sample, not a comprehensive inventory. New ones are always surfacing. They are still pretty darn rare for a Kenner production item in my opinion

edit: Todd D will have a chapter devoted solely to these whenever his book is finally published. There will be some good statistical info in there too, but I can't quite recall if the details are supposed to be a surprise, so I will stay mum for now. Knowing which characters are rare in 2 packs has been the province of those with the data (however, I have always helped others here on RS when asked about specific figures). If the full data set ever becomes public, it will double and triple the prices of some combos/figures that go for bargain prices now.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1983-KENNER-...UAAOSws4JW8MSc

A friend in Denmark won this one (so I refrained form bidding). It is a triple rarity: ESB figure (IG-88) rather than ROTJ (most common); weapon; AND rare Montgomery Ward price sticker (99% are Kaybee)

Jimmy (david?) thanks for the response.

I went and dug into the archives and pulled out every single thread with info about this top and other forums, found a TON of info. In those threads and through the years, different numbers were compiled and changed and as time went on with other collectors input its interesting to see how the different variations and availability and a pretty good universe of how many exist was identified.

I understand you lost your interest in these for a time period, was it around 2008? Also, that contest/give-away you had was pretty neat, that was a great idea in fact. Will you ever done one of those again? It was find of funny how you relate was it your son was going to help in pulling a name but he flooded the bath tub that same day lol

What sparked my interest (again) in these was reading about them again in Mr Kellerman's wonderful book. I do remember them from Kay-Bee tho but my parents never bought me one, probably because they thought, "he has these already". But I remember them, lay around on the floor, on the end cap, the bright orange sticks in my mind, which now that I think of it, thats why I am sure they put them on a bright orange, get more eyeballs on them.

anyways, interesting history in terms of the collectors who collect these. I thought the comment from Chris was interesting also and very true from what I read.

I hope to compile in order all the threads and put them here on a new thread here. Hopefully new collectors find the entire compiling and get an interest in these, a true unique focus from the glory days of ROTJ.

David - Hate to say this out loud but it's FXToys who sold it. There's a pretty good chance that the sticker was a transplant
    SHEESH!!!!i am not raping anyones childhood!!!! - Darren
    P.S. I'm glad you didn't get your toy - Baytrooper
    wow WOW! he brings more cowbell to every forum!! - Ross_C
    Feedback http://tinyurl.com/berizingfeedback

Peter had it shipped to me (he is coming to Kane Co. Toy Show in 3 weeks). I peeled the price sticker 60% off...expecting the worst...and, nothing...totally original under there....sorta feel bad for peeling it now

So, I guess we can add Montgomery Wards to Lloyd's and Kaybee as distributors. Todd DeMartino interviewed a former VP at CG Corp (which Kenner hired to do the 2 packs for them). The VP said that Kaybee had the lion's share of the distribution on 2 Packs, but that some local/regional stores (he didn't specify) in the NY area (CG headquartered in NY) picked them up too at the tail end (Kind of like the modern "Amazon" exclusive Droid factory figures that ended up at TRU Express and Go Calendars later I suppose). Lloyd's was in NY.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy_2Pack View Post
    Peter had it shipped to me (he is coming to Kane Co. Toy Show in 3 weeks). I peeled the price sticker 60% off...expecting the worst...and, nothing...totally original under there....sorta feel bad for peeling it now

So, I guess we can add Montgomery Wards to Lloyd's and Kaybee as distributors. Todd DeMartino interviewed a former VP at CG Corp (which Kenner hired to do the 2 packs for them). The VP said that Kaybee had the lion's share of the distribution on 2 Packs, but that some local/regional stores (he didn't specify) in the NY area (CG headquartered in NY) picked them up too at the tail end (Kind of like the modern "Amazon" exclusive Droid factory figures that ended up at TRU Express and Go Calendars later I suppose). Lloyd's was in NY.
    do you guys meet up at the show? its in my back yard

Quote Originally Posted by Hoth_My_Fav View Post
    do you guys meet up at the show? its in my back yard
    yes, send me a PM

on this other listing from ebay.... from FX toys, the two pack with Bib and Madine,,, is that a known sticker on 2 Packs?

boy, is it me or are this there really a jump on these 2-packs on eBay now? I mean its nice to seem them .. but seems like they are really showing up now.. not that I am complaining, I really LIKE them

I am going to keep this thread going. Going to keep updating it prices and auctions from ebay, share the knowledge. No need for only a few to keep information related to these great 2-packs under wraps. I think also I am going to post every single discussion thread from here and all other forums that are informative for collectors on here.

So who caught the auction with the Vader and original Princess Leia Kay-Bee 2-pack go for almost 1,300, WHEW. But then again, not surprising. This would be a very desirable combo so it would be easy to see why collectors would bid this up.... not mention SW vintage collecting at all time highs.

I think there is another reason too but I will hold off on that for later

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast