Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: DeAgostini's Next Star Wars Partwork Kit: 1:2 scale R2-D2

DeAgostini's Next Star Wars Partwork Kit: 1:2 scale R2-D2

I don't know how many have heard about this but I'm kinda baffled really. DeAgostini asked it's subscribers of the Falcon kit what they thought it's next kit should be and this wasn't even listed as an option... but here it is... a 1:2 scale R2-D2... here's the announcement:

Source : http://www.jedinews.co.uk

News: the next partworks of star-wars deagostini is...

According to a listing on the UK Magazine website, Newsstand, Deagostini are releasing a test market issue of a new part build called "Build Your Own Star Wars: R2-D2."

Currently on release is the hugely popular Build The Millennium Falcon, which is currently just past half way of its build / subscription. A new series would likely begin next year.

If this test series goes well, it looks like our next build will be a fully functional R2-D2...What's scale ?

And here's some photos of the first issue:

Thought you'd all like to see it!

Not sure myself if I wanna jump on this one yet or not.

If a Zombie bites a Vampire, does a Vampire become a Zompire? Or if a Vampire bites a Zombie, does the Zombie become a Vambie? And what happens if a Werewolf were to bite either one? I think I just broke something in my brain!
    My Feedback: Link

Wow...that is highly disappointing. So many other options. No thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rebelfire View Post
    Wow...that is highly disappointing. So many other options. No thanks
    I'm not sure how I feel about this... 1/2 scale would still be pretty impressive... I've got the 1/6 scale AI Robot and I love him... show him off to all my guests as he actually understands voice commands. Kinda makes me wonder what they will do with this one to make him different. Will he come with all the attachements (grabber, saw, plug, shocker, periscope, drink dispenser and tray, etc) or will he just be another static remote control toy?

If a Zombie bites a Vampire, does a Vampire become a Zompire? Or if a Vampire bites a Zombie, does the Zombie become a Vambie? And what happens if a Werewolf were to bite either one? I think I just broke something in my brain!

I think what I'm most confused about here is that back in June DeAgostini sent us all a survey asking us what their next partwork kit should be... they gave us 5 choices:

1 - AT-AT
    2 - Luke's X-Wing Starfighter
    3 - Imperial Star Destroyer
    4 - Darth Vader's TIE Advanced X-1
    5 - Y-Wing Starfighter
    6 - T-47 Airspeeder

No where on that list was R2-D2 and frankly, I never even considered him as an option. So I guess what I'm confused most about here is how they got the impression that an R2-D2 would have been a popular idea for the next kit? Doesn't make any sense!

Quote Originally Posted by LrdSatyr8 View Post
    I think what I'm most confused about here is that back in June DeAgostini sent us all a survey asking us what their next partwork kit should be... they gave us 5 choices:

1 - AT-AT
    2 - Luke's X-Wing Starfighter
    3 - Imperial Star Destroyer
    4 - Darth Vader's TIE Advanced X-1
    5 - Y-Wing Starfighter
    6 - T-47 Airspeeder

No where on that list was R2-D2 and frankly, I never even considered him as an option. So I guess what I'm confused most about here is how they got the impression that an R2-D2 would have been a popular idea for the next kit? Doesn't make any sense!
    that may be why I am so disappointed. I was ok with no AT-AT since dragon is coming out with one but I would have jumped on any of the others.

If it were a full 1:1 scale I'd have jumped on this, at half scale I doubt it. I may pick up some parts for the electronics if they are any good but otherwise this is a pass.

Chris

I know what you mean... even at half scale it'll end up being 1.55 feet tall. But, I'm just not too sure how they are gonna pull off the dome. I think about it, the dome itself unless it came as a single part would have to be divided into sections. Than it would end up having so many seams that would be a pain to fill and sand smooth not to mention re-chrome/metalize afterward!

Good point, I hadn't even thought of that! It doesn't really lend itself to being pieced together. The skin can join at the shoulder I suppose but that is still a very big part, same goes for the dome. Back to the R2 builders club for me.

Well, if that test run is successfull and it sees release after the Falcon, and me sitting over here in german Europe, you UK / US builders might start it a full year before ( Falcon just started over here in January ), so I have maaaaaany reviews, building diaries... to read before I decite to jump in

As for scale I think its fair, would fit perfectly to my MR scaled saber collection. Only other idea for a possible droid build would be a 1:1 BB-8 since he is just half the size of R2 .... or a Mouse Droid

It does seem an odd choice give their 'poll' last year. I don't think they're afraid of sending large parts, they did a spitfire last year, I think it was 1:3, so a dome may not be a problem.

An easy pass for me.
    Rest easy, son, you've had a busy day.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast