Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Mini Arcade (thanks, Utinniii!)

Mini Arcade (thanks, Utinniii!)

A departure from SW dios for a bit; yet another childhood love (and a significant one at that) of mine was arcade games. So much so that my friend and I several years ago would buy used arcade cabinets and decals/marquees from distributors to display. The only thing I have left is the Atari arcade game (non-working) in my dio room, but the recent paper arcade examples Utinniii posted reminded me that I needed to do some of those. So I made 5 so far, printed onto glossy cardstock-type photo paper, carefully cut with sharp x-acto blades and glued together. I also glued strips of posterboard along the edges just like the real machines. The map pin idea for the joysticks was a great one, so I did that as well. And lastly, I bought a sheet of felt to mimic carpeting, and made a wall with straws to simulate pipes like my favorite arcade growing up, Spaceport in the New Orleans East Plaza mall

The scale that I printed is roughly 5", similar to Walking Dead figures, as you can see in this pic with a Riot Gear Walker.

I plan on two more for the space I have, probably Tempest for its unique cabinet design, and Moon Patrol because it was a favorite!

My SW game:

Last edited by Daigo_Bah; 11-20-2015 at 11:13 PM.
    Please read my version of the Star Wars prequels and let me know what you think!

Check out the Rebelscum Custom Dioramas Index!

Those look really great! The floor (and games) could use some gum! I printed out tiny candy wrappers and popcorn boxes too! If you have access to plastic toothpicks, they can be cut into quarters and firing buttons (I think they are the correct scale).

Posters would look great on the walls!

I tried to find a Star Wars papercraft arcade games, but alas!

If you are interested, there are also paper pinball games and the sit down tabletop arcade games.

I'm really glad you used the print outs. The posterboard looks great! The machines look really sturdy.

Thanks man! You probably saw the fantastic sit-down version someone made (the template is nowhere to be found though):

And I did run across a couple templates for the stand-up:

I didn't like the look of the front face of this one:

Please read my version of the Star Wars prequels and let me know what you think!

Actually, I was thinking of the tiny sit down tables that look like end tables. Restaurants had them. That thing is amazing. If someone was good with Gimp (I'm not) that amazing Simulator sit down version could be made into a template. We would just need to find a few reference photos to make a composite. I tried to do that with my Space Invaders. It didn't work out that well.

Usually, I am "build it and move on to the next thing" kinda guy, but seeing your dio makes me want to revisit arcade games!!

I can really see the time you put into making yours. They blow mine away! Mine look like paper models. Yours look like actual games.

Get to work boys! I did almost all of these a few years ago. Got em all in a box somewheres... I'll post pix when I find it...

EDIT: A quick Google search for "Papercraft arcade", "Papercraft pinball" or "papercraft video game" will keep you busy for a looooong time...

https://www.flickr.com/photos/46792053@N03/sets/72157623146178671/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/46792053@N03/sets/72157623146178671/

Wow, so many great ones! Yeah, the tabletop ones were usually referred to as cocktail tables. I loved those too. There is only one papercraft version of those I could find. My friend and I owned about 4 actual cocktail table games, the best one being Joust, which I believe was the only one that seated two on the same side!

Yeah, start with the "too much time on his hands" comments...
    Actually had a great time doing these with my then 12 year old!
    Even did the map pin joysticks!

Great templates DS9000! You have the second page to the Space Invaders I couldn't find.
    I just did a quick Google search for papercraft images. There were several links to deviant art. I couldn't see anything since I haven't logged in for years so I don't remember how. I did find good shots of the exterior of the game though. Not enough of the interior, sadly.

Anyone want to tackle making (or finding) that template?

I didn't play a lot of arcade games (I'd rather spend the $$ on books, comics, toys or chocolate!). But I do have some fond memories. One of the strangest games was "Gals Panic". All I remember are spiders, something with lines and if you finished the game is would show a really lame image of a naked Asian girl. What I found really strange about it was that every time I was at that arcade, different Asian couples would be playing it together. It made no sense!

EDIT:
    OOOOOOOH I loved that Xman game. I still get the jungle music stuck in my head!
    I wanted to find the papercraft Elvira pinball machine but could only find the stickers for it.
    Last edited by Utinniii; 11-21-2015 at 12:34 PM.

Gals panic was based on QIX with pictures revealed in the background as you cleared the play field. I spent several years running an arcade, hence the e-love....

The links from the previous post aren't mine, but that's where I got the majority of the templates I did.

Museum of the Game - Arcade, Videogame, Pinball Machine, Game, and Antique Coin-Operated History -- International Arcade Museum
    Last edited by Deathspawn9000; 11-21-2015 at 01:11 PM. Reason: clarifications

Wow, what a fantastic customs idea! A way to relive those great 70's/80's arcade days which would be very difficult to manage with the actual games today.
    One of my favorite novelty Christmas ornaments is the Pac-Man Arcade cabinet that Hallmark made some years back. I still regularly play my Buckner & Garcia Pac-Man Fever album that I remember getting as a kid. I converted it for the PC and often play it while I'm online... (I'm playing it right now!)
    Last edited by Sizzzler; 11-21-2015 at 06:56 PM.
    Republic Commando; greatest EU storyline ever. Its failure to complete is a genuine literary loss.
    Now the entire EU's failure to continue, to even matter, is a greater loss.
    My Feedback Thread In Here ---> http://forum.rebelscum.com/t1084715/

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast