Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Celebration Europe: Tips & Tricks

Celebration Europe: Tips & Tricks

There have been a total of 10 Star Wars Celebrations to date. Have you attended all of them? Use this thread to post your own tips and tricks for navigating and getting the most out of the event for fans that may just be stepping into the world of a Celebration.
    Convention Autographs & Internet Sales - Official Pix by C2 Ventures
    Administrator - The Registry
    Co-Founder - Star Wars Grand Florida Alliance
    President - Tampa Star Wars Club

I've never been to Celebration Europe (this summer will be my first time attending), but I'm a Celebration U.S. vet attending all four days of every domestic Celebration since Denver in 1999. Here are a few things gleaned my my seventeen years and seven Celebrations and counting:

Waiting in line is part of Celebration and it can be some of the fun too. Know that you'll spend a good deal of time in line and come with the mindset that that's okay (or else you'll wind up angry at volunteers who are just doing the best they can).

Being first in line in the morning for the doors to open doesn't get you much except for lost sleep. I've been first in line and I've shown up after the doors have opened. The main difference was I got to sleep in (having said that though I'll probably still wake up early and get in line because as I said, it can be part of the fun).

Save show floor purchases for the last day- most of the venders don't want to ship unsold stuff home and so Sunday is the day for deals. Plus Sunday is usually less packed with events and most people will crowd the floor on day one. By the end it's a lot easier to move around.

No exclusive is worth wasting half a day in line for. The events and presentations are a once in a lifetime opportunities and show merchandise can be purchased online later. Even if you have to pay scalper prices on eBay it's a better deal than your time.

No video is worth wasting half a day in line for either. Premier screenings, trailers, etc will be on TV or online eventually and they'll still be fun to watch then. If there's a new trailer they'll play the heck out of it at every panel- don't worry, you'll see it.

The stars are not worth half a day in line either. At least in my opinion (the behind the scenes guys have better stories). Waiting for their panels takes up a lot of time, and autographs even more time. It's fine if that's what you want to see, but it will take up most of your day.

Any panel with Dave Filoni's name on it is gold. He loves Star Wars, he is great with fans, and he brings out the best in any panel he's a part of. Pablo Hidalgo is great too.

Pack snacks. Convention Center food is rarely good, usually overpriced, and the lines are long. Packing some snacks lets you eat when you have time and there's always time for dinner when you're not late for the next panel.

Use the App to map out your day in advance. Have a plan and a backup plan. Panels fill up, but there's always something interesting going on if your's fills up.

Props, R2 Builders, and lots of other attractions are ongoing, so fit them in when you don't have other things going on. Or better yet plan them for when something big you're not attending is in session.

Attending the screenings of the movies at the end of the day will have you in a folding chair for about four hours straight. Watching the movies with a crowd that loves them is fun, but watching them in bed in your hotel room as you collapse from a long day at the show is a viable option too.

Hasbro will disappoint you. Don't go in expecting anything from them. Their panels get worse and worse every time, their booth gets smaller every time, they speak in corporate doublespeak, and they don't care about Celebration as a venue to interface with fans or release news. They stink.

Good tips, thanks for typing that up
    "If you're going to have to admit to carrying a hold-out blaster, carry two and admit to one."

My feedback: http://forum.rebelscum.com/t1039041/

Quote Originally Posted by Maverick View Post
    They screen the movies?
    At most of the American Celebrations they screen a different movie every night, sometimes two different movies a night. And they can go late til 1-2 in the morning. At celebration Germany in Essen they screened Return of the Jedi in a park and it was pretty neat, except there wasn't any seats and I wasn't prepared for the amount of people that still smoke in Europe haha.

What to expect?

Since Celebration went Europe-side this time around, I bought two tickets as soon as they became available, because I had heard about it, but decided it was time to experience it myself. Of course I've been reading about it online, but I have a hard time finding out what I am to expect exactly, so I was hoping some more experienced visitors could share their experiences. I'd hate to miss out on things, or come with the wrong expectations. I have tickets for all three days, is there enough to do for all three days? What are the things you shouldn't miss? I am with my brother who just tagged along for fun, and I don't want to put him through too much hardcore waiting lines and such.
    I collect vintage star wars myself, is there usually a large supply available? How many dealers in general, modern and vintage? What are prices like at celebration? Will it be extremely crowded, or is the venue large enough for everybody? Questions, questions, I really don't know where to start, so maybe people can just describe the way they like to spend their days at celebration and share some tricks and tips. It would really help me get properly prepared.
    Last edited by LandoInDisguise; 07-02-2016 at 01:57 PM.

I have tickets for all three days, is there enough to do for all three days?

Definitely. In fact, there's usually more to do than there is time to do it. You'll want to decide what your priorities are: autographs, panels, time on the show floor, etc. Click through the webpage or the app to get a sense of what's there.

What are the things you shouldn't miss? I am with my brother who just tagged along for fun, and I don't want to put him through too much hardcore waiting lines and such.

Lines are the nature of the beast with a lot of con stuff, especially the highly popular events like opening and closing ceremonies, main actor presentations, etc. I'm a big fan of the panels in the collector track area, which usually have much more manageable lines and are pretty interesting.

I collect vintage star wars myself, is there usually a large supply available? How many dealers in general, modern and vintage? What are prices like at celebration?

There's usually a fair amount of vintage there, no idea on numbers, expect the prices to be on the high end on the dealer floor.

Will it be extremely crowded, or is the venue large enough for everybody?

Saturday will likely be the most crowded day - I haven't been to this venue before, though, so I don't know how bad it will be.

Questions, questions, I really don't know where to start, so maybe people can just describe the way they like to spend their days at celebration and share some tricks and tips.

I'd pack some snacks and a water bottle. Bring along some homemade buttons or other swag to trade - it's fun, leaves you with some nice souvenirs, and is a good conversation started when you're stuck in lines. Don't stand in line to buy exclusives - you can always buy them on eBay later. Even if it costs you more money, you won't have wasted your time in line.

I'm sure others will chime in as well with more tips. Have fun - hope to see you there!

I have a 3-Day ticket to Star Wars Celebration Europe.

I am trying to plan my weekend and I have a few questions regarding registration, picking up my tickets and acquiring wrist bands for the various panels.

What is registration? Is it for the public or just vendors/people exhibiting?

What time on Friday can I collect my tickets or are they available for collection from the Excel in advance?

How do I queue for wristbands for the various panels? Do you queue on the day of the panel or are they available in advance?

Finally do you know the fee for an autograph from Mark Hamill?

Quote Originally Posted by KyloDameron View Post
    I have a 3-Day ticket to Star Wars Celebration Europe.

I am trying to plan my weekend and I have a few questions regarding registration, picking up my tickets and acquiring wrist bands for the various panels.

What is registration? Is it for the public or just vendors/people exhibiting?

What time on Friday can I collect my tickets or are they available for collection from the Excel in advance?

How do I queue for wristbands for the various panels? Do you queue on the day of the panel or are they available in advance?

Finally do you know the fee for an autograph from Mark Hamill?

Registration basically means you go to the registration desk to pick-up your ticket, this is through entrance S5 on level 1.
    Pick-up times are:

Wednesday 8am - 5pm
    Thursday 8am - Sunday 4pm, so it's open 24 hours a day from Thursday morning

I don't know how to get the wristbands, i'm assuming they will only be for the big panels/talks on the ce;ebration stage
    We don't know the autograph fees yet, only the photoshoots...many assume the prices will be the same, but we'll just have to wait and see

Enjoy!!
    Last edited by Mark_the_Wookiee; 07-04-2016 at 01:06 PM.
    "If you're going to have to admit to carrying a hold-out blaster, carry two and admit to one."

My feedback: http://forum.rebelscum.com/t1039041/

Thank you! That was really helpful.
    There seems to be nothing official on the webpage about collecting tickets prior to the event or what to do on the day in terms of gaining access to panels etc.
    I work close to the Excel so I will pick up my tickets a day or so beforehand.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark_the_Wookiee View Post
    Registration basically means you go to the registration desk to pick-up your ticket, this is through entrance S5 on level 1.
    Pick-up times are:

Wednesday 8am - 5pm
    Thursday 8am - Sunday 4pm, so it's open 24 hours a day from Thursday morning

I don't know how to get the wristbands, i'm assuming they will only be for the big panels/talks on the ce;ebration stage
    We don't know the autograph fees yet, only the photoshoots...many assume the prices will be the same, but we'll just have to wait and see

Enjoy!!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast