Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112

Thread: Luke Skywalker - Speculation

Some of the Hasbro Star Wars team communicated that the first time they saw the Episode VII incarnation of Luke Skywalker was when they saw THE FORCE AWAKENS in the theater. That lack of knowledge seemed INCREDIBLY deliberate on the part of JJ Abrams or Lucasfilm or Disney. Pick whichever party you want to, but someone made the decision to not give production imagery of Luke to Hasbro.

The next question seems to be WHY? And it boils down to something that JJ Abrams said when they were promoting the movie. Who is Luke Skywalker? Where did Luke go? And why did he disappear? Those questions were really at the heart of the movie. Having Luke Skywalker merchandise available when the licensed merchandise comes to market goes against that overall concept.

And then there are the leaks that happened all during the prequel era. We've seen toy releases that gave away significant plot points during the prequel era, like lost limbs, etc. But a whole person whose existence has become a great mystery? Having product lists, toy imagery, etc, has great potential to spoil the story for everyone, especially in the age of social media.

Now there was the one leaked image of Luke that made it out before TFA was released. But since Hasbro never officially got that image from Lucasfilm, guess what? To Hasbro -that image didn't exist. And if Hasbro did approach Lucasfilm about making a Luke figure based on that image? I suspect that Lucasfilm probably shot it down. In addition to the concept of "Who is Luke Skywalker?" that permeated everything with TFA, it seemed that everyone involved with promoting the film was on the same page on one thing: preserve the theater experience for the viewer and maintain a sense of surprise. And action figures were a lesser consideration. I look at all of that, and I'm okay with not getting a Luke Skywalker action figure in the TFA line.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkArtist View Post
    Zuvio and Sarco Plank I believe are in deleted scenes and were some of the first images that Hasbro received in regards to TFA, Hassk Thug is in the movie at Maz's Castle and the Guavian Enforcer is in an action scene in TFA (not that I'm trying to justify these figures over Luke). Luke was a secret kept from Hasbro. I think Disney waited too long to send images of Luke to Hasbro and that's the real reason why we still don't have Luke. I remember reading somewhere that Hasbro needs 18 months to make an action figure ready for retail. if that's the case and Disney did drag their feet on releasing images of TFA Luke than I don't expect to see a Luke figure till Wave 1 of EPVIII

I've watched all the deleted scenes on the new release. Zuvio can be seen for a split second in the background. And I mean literally blink and miss him. I call BS on Hasbro "claiming" they did not receive production materials in time. It doesn't matter how much screen time or action he had in the movie. Luke is one of the big three, and an iconic character. It comes down to the same reason there has not been an "Old Ben" figure released since 2009. There was a statement that they considered the VOTC figures to be part of the Vintage Collection line, and they didn't plan on repeating characters. Yet if you compare the two series, we got several figures re-tooled. Obi-Wan "Ben" Kenobi should have been repacked in TVC. Hasbro doesn't think kids want to play with an old man action figure. I'm sure it was only after the outcry from fans and collectors that Hasbro finally decided to put a Luke into production.

Quote Originally Posted by DJ121 View Post
    I call BS on Hasbro "claiming" they did not receive production materials in time. It doesn't matter how much screen time or action he had in the movie. Luke is one of the big three, and an iconic character. It comes down to the same reason there has not been an "Old Ben" figure released since 2009. There was a statement that they considered the VOTC figures to be part of the Vintage Collection line, and they didn't plan on repeating characters. Yet if you compare the two series, we got several figures re-tooled. Obi-Wan "Ben" Kenobi should have been repacked in TVC. Hasbro doesn't think kids want to play with an old man action figure. I'm sure it was only after the outcry from fans and collectors that Hasbro finally decided to put a Luke into production.
    I think you might want to consider expanding how you think about Luke in the context of licensed Star Wars merchandise. And try looking at some other licenses. Hot Toys only offered their TFA Luke Skywalker up for pre-order back in October. That figure is not even set to be delivered until some time between January and March of 2017. And surprise, surprise, that is still over 1 year after the theatrical release of THE FORCE AWAKENS. I suspect that Hot Toys might have a slightly leaner production process as well as a tighter turnaround time with their product line since their offerings are for adult collectors, and probably don't have to go through the product safety testing that a Hasbro offering does.

As for the leaked photos? Sure, some people at Hasbro may have seen them and even shown them to the Star Wars brand manager. But it very likely ended there. Because there was a blackout on imagery of Luke from the people at Lucasfilm. And even if a licensee had offered up a TFA Luke product based on that imagery, it probably would not have received approval from Lucasfilm Licensing. That group has to sign off on all Star Wars licensed material before it can be officially offered at retail. Hasbro, Gentle Giant, Sideshow, Hot Toys, whoever.... none of those companies will offer up a product without explicit approval from Lucasfilm Licensing because it would probably be a massive breach of their contract.

I think we're likely to see TFA versions of Luke Skywalker and Leia shown at Toy Fair this coming February, along with some more ROGUE ONE offerings. But I suspect that we may see a similar situation in the ROGUE ONE action figure line with some character(s) from the new film who has been kept very much under wraps for the purpose of surprising the audience.

TBH, tha just seem incomprehensible. Especially with the way LFL and licensing has been in the past. I can understand JJ having a bit more of tight lip tha George. But still, Disney is in charge. And they want to make Money, look at all their other properties that have movie tie-ins month in advance.

I find it highly doubtful that the Theater would be the first time they ever saw or heard about Luke. But if so, it's a definite lack of communication and bad way to handle thing IMO. At the end of the day there's business to be done.

That said, it really can't be that big of an issue. As it's only one character that is coming back for seconds. As much as I'd liked to have had him, I"m not outraged that I have to wait one year for him. I just hope he's SA when the time finally comes. Otherwise I will be outraged. lol
    Looking for:R3-H17, L3-37
    Sale List, Trade List, Non SW trades & Feedback

Quote Originally Posted by Masterfett View Post
    TBH, tha just seem incomprehensible. Especially with the way LFL and licensing has been in the past. I can understand JJ having a bit more of tight lip tha George. But still, Disney is in charge. And they want to make Money, look at all their other properties that have movie tie-ins month in advance.

I find it highly doubtful that the Theater would be the first time they ever saw or heard about Luke. But if so, it's a definite lack of communication and bad way to handle thing IMO. At the end of the day there's business to be done.
    I disagree.

To you it may seem like Disney/Lucasfilm/Hasbro left money on the table by not getting those action figure royalties. That may be. But then look at the box office numbers for The Force Awakens. And that was about $2 billion! That is REAL money. I think investing strategically in making Luke that much more of surprise for theater goers was probably the better play.

And guess what? We're still going to buy a TFA Luke in multiple scales after the veil of secrecy has been lifted. In fact, I think there may be even MORE heat on Luke as a licensed merchandise character now since he was kept under such tight wraps and excluded from every toy line.

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112