Thread: Young Jedi Knight Promotion

Young Jedi Knight Promotion

In the category of "When You think You've Heard of Everything..."

This was referenced in Adam Paulus' modern collectors Q&A this week:

powerofthetoys.com Young Jedi Knight Promotion

I had never heard of this, ever. The article is pretty thorough, so just wondering if anyone on here ever got this pack, got the second figures, or collected any of the 'black-out' figures?
    Naughtiest lines in Star Wars:
    You came in that thing?! You're braver than I thought!
    Luke, at that speed will we be able to pull out in time?
    Back door huh? Good idea.

Cool to see someone with a memory of the stickers. I have some vague memory of receiving one as a kid, but no proof has survived, so it could be my memory playing tricks on things. It's one of those things I'll never know for sure.

I wrote the article, so I've collected most everything shown. The only thing I'm still missing after several years is the envelope for the followup piece. I moved most of my mailer stuff to a separate website, so here's some further info for you with a quote from a well known Kenner employee in the community who was involved in the program. Also, there are some additional photos of the followup envelope when a fellow RS member happened on one.

Direct Mail Program | Mail-Away Guide
    Collection Website|U Grade FAQ|My Feedback

WTB: Luke Jedi POTF Proof

I had the Logray version in the late 90's including the white mailer. It was a prototype as I remember the address being Anytown, USA or something to that effect. I am trying to recall if the Logray was also a first shot. Hand painted I think without COO. I had everything shown in the image. So yes, it came with the stickers. Heck, it may have been the one in the image. I will say, in my opinion, it was a rather unremarkable piece...for me anyway...and I only had it for a year. They really weren't that desirable 20 years ago. Things have changed. Oh, for the person that might have it here, it went all the way out to the Bering Sea before it landed back wherever it did.

Oh, the Logray was also in a Kenner bag.
    Last edited by Shawn_Byrne; 03-23-2015 at 05:31 PM.
    my trade feedback
    BIG PURPLE CABLE EATER!

I'm not surprised it was a scummer that wrote that article.

The most interesting thing to me about this piece is that the first figure came in a bag with the kit, and the second figure was a regular carded figure stuffed in an envelope. I guess it was also an attempt to get rid of overstock?
    Naughtiest lines in Star Wars:
    You came in that thing?! You're braver than I thought!
    Luke, at that speed will we be able to pull out in time?
    Back door huh? Good idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Nerfherder View Post
    I'm not surprised it was a scummer that wrote that article.

The most interesting thing to me about this piece is that the first figure came in a bag with the kit, and the second figure was a regular carded figure stuffed in an envelope. I guess it was also an attempt to get rid of overstock?

I agree. I had always assumed it was a baggie too if anything. For reference, here's when I found the initial followup paperwork. Since then I kept an eye on auctions and that was how I managed to find all 4 figures with the blacked POPs. This is my own speculation, but I'm wondering if including a carded figure in the followup was done purposely by design. We know many of us used the cardbacks as a checklist and the whole point of this mailer was to ignite interest in younger fans who at the time were moving to other toy lines. It was a way to instantly show the child, that these were targeted at, what figures were available at the time and basically come with a checklist to collect them all.
    Collection Website|U Grade FAQ|My Feedback

WTB: Luke Jedi POTF Proof