Page 2 of 30 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Buildings, Bunkers and Bases

Beautiful work on everything. Those bunkers/outposts are great and have a lot of wonderful playability. Thanks for posting all of the pictures.
    #1 want: Admiral Piett (3.75" TVC line)

I'd like to exercise my right to free speech, but I really don't have anything to say at the moment.

Battle Damaged Bunker

Bunker with Landing Platform

You are a true artist. You have the creative touch.
    At first glance, these are not overly designed play sets. Each one has maybe 12-20 large, simple polygon shaped blocks arranged to create several open areas or rooms. They may seem interesting but somewhat plain, and not very specific to any particular type of scenario. This is looking at them without any figures.
    But once you put figures into them, the true creativity of the simplicity of design begins to come across almost in an explosion! A room isn't just a box, as it has levels to climb or stand upon, due to the clever placement of these blocky shapes. And the blocks are arranged in such a way as to be multifunctional. A scene from inside a room delivers one particular feel. But now set up a scene outside that room, looking at the room, and it's a completely different setting. You have mastered one side of a wall giving one vibe, while the other side gives a completely different one. But you don't stop there, you work three or four different looks into each play set!
    But it isn't just how you maximize multiple usage out of each wall, floor, etc. You have also accomplished a simple, generic nature to the designs so that different worlds of action figures appear to all be at home in each setting. GI Joe, zombies, Star Wars; you've got military, horror/creature, and outer space sci-fi all plausibly occupying the same spaces.
    And you have a creative eye in how you arrange your figures, ships, etc. I don't know how much of the functionality you see and plan ahead of time; perhaps it is your figure layout skills that really make more out of what you build. That sentence might not win any awards for grammar, but I wanted to write the thought as it hit me.
    I would say that it is because you can creatively see how to set up action figures and vehicles, that you are able to plan all the multi-functionality into your designs.
    You have a true gift and should be very proud of how you are able to make use of it.
    Republic Commando; greatest EU storyline ever. Its failure to complete is a genuine literary loss.
    Now the entire EU's failure to continue, to even matter, is a greater loss.
    My Feedback Thread In Here ---> http://forum.rebelscum.com/t1084715/

Quote Originally Posted by Sizzzler View Post
    You are a true artist. You have the creative touch.
    At first glance, these are not overly designed play sets. Each one has maybe 12-20 large, simple polygon shaped blocks arranged to create several open areas or rooms. They may seem interesting but somewhat plain, and not very specific to any particular type of scenario. This is looking at them without any figures.
    But once you put figures into them, the true creativity of the simplicity of design begins to come across almost in an explosion! A room isn't just a box, as it has levels to climb or stand upon, due to the clever placement of these blocky shapes. And the blocks are arranged in such a way as to be multifunctional. A scene from inside a room delivers one particular feel. But now set up a scene outside that room, looking at the room, and it's a completely different setting. You have mastered one side of a wall giving one vibe, while the other side gives a completely different one. But you don't stop there, you work three or four different looks into each play set!
    But it isn't just how you maximize multiple usage out of each wall, floor, etc. You have also accomplished a simple, generic nature to the designs so that different worlds of action figures appear to all be at home in each setting. GI Joe, zombies, Star Wars; you've got military, horror/creature, and outer space sci-fi all plausibly occupying the same spaces.
    And you have a creative eye in how you arrange your figures, ships, etc. I don't know how much of the functionality you see and plan ahead of time; perhaps it is your figure layout skills that really make more out of what you build. That sentence might not win any awards for grammar, but I wanted to write the thought as it hit me.
    I would say that it is because you can creatively see how to set up action figures and vehicles, that you are able to plan all the multi-functionality into your designs.
    You have a true gift and should be very proud of how you are able to make use of it.

Wow, you put more thought into them than I did, lol.
    No seriously, thanks for the compliments though, I'm glad folks dig these as much as I dig building them.
    Yes, I try to keep the layouts as simple as possible but also as structural and visually interesting as I can. I try to design them to allow the most playable access to maneuver the figures around. Basically, a dollhouse for boys.....only with mortar damage and no wallpaper. I can always get extremely detailed with added surface greeblies but with the time involved in adding them, I wouldn't be able to pump out a batch buildings each week. I mean, last weekend I finished constructing 11 sets. I still need to go thru the painting/sanding/painting/sanding process along with the grime wash but if I focused too much on making something screen accurate then I would barely finish 1 a month. Plus the great thing about using the wood is that anything could be added later on to the surface using either glue, screws or what I prefer, is double sided mounting tape for items with flat surfaces. But yeah, you could add shipping crates, shelving, wall mounted control panels, piping, duct work, etc. There are a few aftermarket miniature makers, even here, that make some amazing detail pieces that would work really well to add to these building surfaces to busy them up.

Modular Sci-Fi Shelter

Here are the finished housing units I posted pics of earlier.
    I went with the same exterior color that I used on my Tatooine buildings. These can stack several different ways with either using the landing platform on the large house or stack the small house on top and use the landing platform to the side.

Tatooine Outpost

I made a bunch of Tatooine buildings before and posted a few in this thread: http://forum.rebelscum.com/t1113339/
    but I figured I'd just throw them in this one.
    This was the largest Tatooine style building I've made so far but I wanted to include a few features like a couple floors, a walkout balcony and a rooftop landing platform.

Page 2 of 30 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast