Thread: B-Wing Pilot flies X-Wing - Prototype or custom?

B-Wing Pilot flies X-Wing - Prototype or custom?

I have been working on a small run of collecting vintage Star Wars adverts from around the world. A German Parker advert arrived today that I thought I would share with you as intriguingly it features a fleet of X-Wings being flown by B-Wing Pilots!

I know there are famous examples of figures being used for photography that have since turned up in collections such as the black caped Squid Head and the Hoth Han with painted boots but this B-Wing Pilot is a new one on me and I don't know if it qualifies as a custom or a prototype - either way I thought it would be fun to share, and in particular I recall there is a RS focus collector who is into all things B-Wing (Steve Danley! ) perhaps this ad might even be a new one for him also?

Last edited by Bonsai_Tree_Ent; 09-05-2014 at 05:29 PM.
    BONSAI'S BIG COLLECTION...of little figures July 2016 UPDATE! Vintage Price Guide
    http://forum.rebelscum.com/t1086230/

Quote Originally Posted by Bonsai_Tree_Ent View Post
    ...and in particular I recall there is a RS focus collector who is into all things B-Wing (apologies, cant remember the chap's name) perhaps this ad might even be a new one for him also?
    This is one of the greatest things I've ever seen, as it essentially replicates my childhood interpretation of the B-Wing Pilot. This looks like a similar (albeit more sanctioned than this) case of customizing a B-Wing Pilot for use in photography. I've definitely got plenty to learn about adverts (particularly foreign ones). Definitely a new one for me!

--Steve
    Last edited by Steve_Danley; 09-05-2014 at 04:44 PM.

Fantastic find! Thanks for sharing.
    Member of the 62 POTF coin club!!
    My Trade Feedback has links to want and have trade lists.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve_Danley View Post
    Definitely a new one for me!

--Steve
    Steve, that's great to hear - always something new to learn in this hobby! I'll send you a PM with the issue number in case you want to pick it up.
    BONSAI'S BIG COLLECTION...of little figures July 2016 UPDATE! Vintage Price Guide
    http://forum.rebelscum.com/t1086230/

Bonsai, thanks for posting this. My focuses are X-Wing stuff and vintage adverts... I have this very same ad and to my shame I never noticed it was a B-Wing pilot in the cockpit.

I've just apdated my blog entry for this. Thanks again!

You might also find it interesting that Parker had some fun finding a substitute figure to be a slave Leia in the Jabba Play-set adverts:

Parker adverts - Jabba's slave Han and Luke

Good to hear you're making a run of vintage SW ads. Some of the European ones are just awesome, especially the off-the-wall humour and creativity of some of the French ones such as the Pif Gadget Saynettes (I'm just missing one for a full set now). I think the Palitoy ads are also very special.
    Good luck adding more, those Parker ads are really cool
    imperialgunnery.com The latest on Repro and Original SW action figure accessories!

thevintagetoyadvertiser.org Recognise these toys? Cool toy ads from the 1970s and 80s!

"Ffftthhh" indeed!

Awesome advert!! Thanks for posting it.

Cheers

d.

Ffftthhh?

Now I know why there's brown stains all over that X-Wing.
    Ron Salvatore (rsalvatore11@hvc.rr.com)
    The Star Wars Collectors Archive
    www.theswca.com
    NAGAMAROO!