Page 2 of 123 FirstFirst 12341252102 ... LastLast

Thread: "Rogue One" - December 16, 2016

Quote Originally Posted by GNT View Post
    Many Bothans died to bring us this information :p
    Wrong Death Star!

Bounty hunters being involved is fine; using the Executor bounty hunters isn't great; using the Falcon because Han doesn't own it yet is really dumb because of the timeline; having this theft set far enough back that Han not having the Falcon makes sense means this ISN'T the theft that kicks off the ANH title crawl, and make the plans some hot potato MacGuffin that gets stolen repeatedly; having Boba Fett as part of the team would take the cake in terms of stupid decisions.
    Last edited by Toonimator; 11-25-2014 at 05:35 PM.

As with anything on the internet, feel free to take this with a grain of salt: But from what I know of Gareth Edward's directorial style (and I will highlight from the beginning that my knowledge is limited to 2014's Godzilla), I'm wary of him directing the first stand-alone Star Wars movie.

Simply put, I think Disney made a recoiled by-the-numbers decision in hiring Edwards after the instant financial success of Godzilla.

I get the feeling that Disney is trying to inaugurate him into the semi-artificial "Modern Sci-Fi Directors Club", and I guess I just don't get it.

Yes, I didn't like Godzilla one bit, and I won't pretend to be less than negatively biased against him, but I thought an overwhelming majority of the creative and directorial choices implemented in that movie were very poor.

I'm talking about the fundamentals of film-making like narrative, character development, cinematography, visual and aesthetic presentation - they weren't very good.

I'm not out to dislike the guy, and because he's helming a Star Wars movie, I sincerely hope it turns out well, but these stand-alone films are the only I'm skeptical about in the Disney acquisition.

Am I alone here?

But, he is in charge of the Spin-off. Which may not have anything to do with what we're used to.
    Looking for:R3-H17, L3-37
    Sale List, Trade List, Non SW trades & Feedback

Quote Originally Posted by Masterfett View Post
    But, he is in charge of the Spin-off. Which may not have anything to do with what we're used to.

I don't quite take your point.

I think what bugs me about this placement is that I don't think this guy has the credentials (or the demonstration of great potential) to direct a Star Wars movie. I think someone like Matthew Vaughn, Sam Mendes, or Duncan Jones (though I'm wary of his lack of reverence for practical effects - apparently the models in "Moon" were implemented at the insistence of the producer) would be better suited. Heck, a year ago, Rian Johnson is very much the kind of person I'd expect to direct a stand-alone Star Wars flick.

Gareth Edwards doesn't seem like an interesting Sci-Fi/Adventure director or a left-of-field, bold choice on Disney's part. Everything about this appointment feels fairly conventional and bland.

Don't even get me started on the screenwriter, even if he did write the Walking Dead pilot.
    Figure Nominations:

Reegesk, Aurra Sing, Kleef, Bothan Spy, DS2 Luke, SA Rebel Commando's (Tantive IV & Endor), Lowbacca

As much of a fan of TWD I am, Walking Dead in really just Neo-Romero, portrayed in longer time frames... the writing is very good, but it hasn't knocked my socks off.
    Last edited by jpolli666; 12-18-2014 at 02:12 PM.

Actresses Being Tested for First Star Wars Standalone Movie

While J.J. Abrams is putting the finishing touches on Star Wars: The Force Awakens for its release on December 18, things are already moving forward on the first Star Wars standalone film with The Hollywood Reporter‘s Heat Vision reporting that actresses are being tested for the female lead in the Gareth (Godzilla) Edwards-directed film.
    Canadian actress Tatiana Maslany (left), who has made huge waves playing multiple clones in BBC America’s hit series “Orphan Black,” and Rooney Mara (right), nominated for an Oscar for her performance in David Fincher’s The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, are two of the names being mentioned with The Theory of Everything‘s Oscar-nominated star Felicity Jones also on the short list.

THR’s Borys Kit says that Jones may have scheduling issues as she’s already pegged to co-star in the Da Vinci Code sequel Inferno opposite Tom Hanks and directed by Ron Howard.

There still has been no word on who the focal character of the first of the planned stand-alone “Star Wars” movies will be, although Disney and Lucasfilm have already snagged the release date of December 16, 2016. They’re currently looking for a writer to step-in following the departure of Gary Whitta after turning in his draft.

A second stand-alone movie being co-written by Simon Kinberg and Lawrence Kasdan will be helmed by Chronicle helmer Josh Trank, who is currently finishing up his relaunch of The Fantastic Four for 20th Century Fox.

Honestly, I can't say that I care for Josh Trank. After seeing what they're doing to FF4! And if it has to do with any of the main characters from the OT, I'm even less interested.
    Looking for:R3-H17, L3-37
    Sale List, Trade List, Non SW trades & Feedback

Chris Weitz Boards Gareth Edwards’ Standalone Star Wars Film

Following the departure of formerly attached screenwriter Gary Whitta earlier this month, Walt Disney Pictures and Lucasfilm, Ltd. have, according to a story today at The Hollywood Reporter, set Academy Award nominee Chris Weitz to work on the screenplay for the first standalone Star Wars film. Godzilla helmer Gareth Edwards remains attached to direct the project, which is scheduled for a December 16, 2016 release.

Weitz launched his screenwriting career with the 1998 animated comedy Antz. He’s best known, however, for his Oscar nominated work adapting Nick Hornby’s About a Boy in 2002, a film that he also directed. Other directorial credits include The Golden Compass in 2007 and The Twilight Saga: New Moon in 2009. As a screenwriter, Weitz’ work can next be seen in Walt Disney Pictures live action take on Cinderella, directed by Kenneth Branagh and slated for a March 13 release.

Although the mysterious Star Wars film has been rumored to follow a heist involving the theft of the Death Star plans, few official details regarding Edwards’ film have been made available. The project appears to be close to the casting stage, however, with a report from last week suggesting that actresses like Tatiana Maslany, Felicity Jones and Kate and Rooney Mara have all read for a potential role.

Page 2 of 123 FirstFirst 12341252102 ... LastLast