Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Unproduced Star Wars Toys - Sansweet Article

It would have been great if this line happened. The Atha Prime concept was used in Dark Empire as the Imperial Sentinel, and that figure was made in the Expanded Universe line. I purchased a Mungo custom at Celebration Europe II. However the best part would have been that we would have had a vintage Grand Moff Tarkin figure if this line happened.

Thanks for posting the article, I have been wanting to read this also.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott_Bradley View Post
    While that Imperial Outpost would have been great, I am less than impressed with Kenner's ideas for the Star Wars line's future. It's like they weren't even trying.
    I agree. Some of it looks pretty lazy.

Great thread - thanks also for posting that article from the old SW Galaxy magazine - I had that at one time, but it's long gone. This is one of the many things I like about the Internet - you can find almost anything

RE: these unproduced EU toys, it's interesting to speculate on whether they would have been released if the Kenner line hadn't been cancelled in '85; however, I agree it's not much of a loss that they never came out - in all honesty, they don't look that great & are basically just re-treads of figures/vehicles that were already in the line.

At least the Kenner "Mini-rigs" from the '80's (Endor Forest Ranger, etc.) looked original..unlike these unproduced toys...
    Last edited by ThallJoben; 04-04-2014 at 09:09 PM.

I also recall seeing concept art for Luke in Jedi Robes.
    If I remember correctly it basically looked like Luke wearing a bathrobe!
    "A Death Mark's Not An Easy Thing To Live With"

Scott, thank you so much for taking the time to make this available and helping out a fellow collector - really appreciated.
    BONSAI'S BIG COLLECTION...of little figures July 2016 UPDATE! Vintage Price Guide
    http://forum.rebelscum.com/t1086230/

Quote Originally Posted by Joshua_A View Post
    I agree. Some of it looks pretty lazy.
    It's probably a mistake to assume that most of those kit-bashed things represent anything more than some guy's flight of fancy. They're just rough ideas. I think you can be pretty certain that no Mungo Beefhead Tribesman would have been released, even if the line had continued in some way.

Plus, the presentation as a whole seems like a mishmash of various concepts and possibly even time periods. The Falcon vehicle thing was probably a legitimate mini-rig idea. The Atha Prime stuff seems like the result of an idea aimed at treating SW as more of a G.I. Joe-style property. Tarkin and the bantha are just obvious things that could have been made but weren't. The Hoth vehicle was first proposed back in 1980. The kit-bashed pieces . . . who knows. Most of that stuff is pretty silly. I'm guessing the presentation was a very broad look at what they could potentially make. A brainstorming type of thing.
    Ron Salvatore (rsalvatore11@hvc.rr.com)
    The Star Wars Collectors Archive
    www.theswca.com
    NAGAMAROO!

Quote Originally Posted by VlixHunter View Post
    I also recall seeing concept art for Luke in Jedi Robes.
    If I remember correctly it basically looked like Luke wearing a bathrobe!
    There's a line-drawing/blueprint-type piece representing that figure in a collection. Its turning up was one of the first tip-offs that the robes figure was intended for the ROTJ line. I think it references "Revenge" or bears an '82 date.

Someday a piece of LFL material is going to surface showing that early Luke Jedi outfit. Gotta be out there somewhere.
    Ron Salvatore (rsalvatore11@hvc.rr.com)
    The Star Wars Collectors Archive
    www.theswca.com
    NAGAMAROO!

Quote Originally Posted by ronsalvatore View Post
    Someday a piece of LFL material is going to surface showing that early Luke Jedi outfit. Gotta be out there somewhere.
    You mean an inhouse LFL piece, 'cause else there is the Trilogo inbox toy poster?

-Alex
    Last edited by AJ_van_Zelst; 04-05-2014 at 11:08 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bonsai_Tree_Ent View Post
    Scott, thank you so much for taking the time to make this available and helping out a fellow collector - really appreciated.
    Anytime! Glad to be of help.
    Visit the Canadian Star Wars Gallery:
    http://web.ncf.ca/cn333/starwars.htm
    Star Wars with a Canadian focus
    WTB: a Canadian carded 4-LOM and Kenner Canada 3-Packs / Multipacks

Quote Originally Posted by ronsalvatore View Post
    It's probably a mistake to assume that most of those kit-bashed things represent anything more than some guy's flight of fancy. They're just rough ideas. I think you can be pretty certain that no Mungo Beefhead Tribesman would have been released, even if the line had continued in some way.
    Definitely. We saw some horrendous-looking kit bashed stuff in the early days that turned out to be decent toys. What doesn't impress me were the expanded universe-type *ideas* Kenner was coming up with to prolong the new line. The Beefhead and Atha Prime stories sound pretty weak and uninteresting. What I do like are the items that were 'passed over' from the original trilogy that could have been made like Tarkin and the Rebel Blockade Runner. As the movies were still being rereleased in the mid-eighties, Kenner could have continued to create toys from all 3 movies and maybe even have continued the Collector Series line for younger kids who may have missed out on the original items that were no longer available on store shelves in 1985. The support of the rereleased movies would have still maintained the interest of these younger kids in the line. With no story to support them, the expanded universe stuff would have ceased quickly IMHO.

One item I thought Kenner really dropped the ball on was a larger Cloud City playset. A Cloud City playset designed along the lines of the Palitoy Death Star with separate rooms for visitor's quarters, dining room, prisoner cell, gantry, landing platform and best of all - the carbon freezing chamber. That would have been great! Somehow, the Sears Cloud City playset didn't quite fit the bill.
    Last edited by Scott_Bradley; 04-05-2014 at 01:42 PM.
    Visit the Canadian Star Wars Gallery:
    http://web.ncf.ca/cn333/starwars.htm
    Star Wars with a Canadian focus
    WTB: a Canadian carded 4-LOM and Kenner Canada 3-Packs / Multipacks

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast