Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 179

Thread: A few simple customs

  1. #11
    Hah! Excellent!
    "...cross me, and you'll soon discover that under this playful, boyish exterior beats the heart of a ruthless, sadistic maniac."
    -Lord Edmund Blackadder II

  2. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by Echo_Six View Post
    Here are a few basic modifications I've slapped together over the last few weeks:

    First up, a VOTC Tusken Raider with ball jointed hips. I boiled and popped the Raider and a TVC Quinlan Vos, than used a razor saw to cut off both figures' waist pegs. Next, I transplanted the Tusken peg onto the Vos pelvis using a #2 sheet metal screw (from the local R/C hobby shop) with the head removed. The last step was to boil and pop the Raider shins and feet onto the Vos thighs.



    I haven't [yet] painted the Vos thighs because they're completely covered by the soft goods. If I become incredibly bored at some point I may tackle it. In the meantime, here's a shocking NSFW upskirt shot.



    Next on the menu are these two cantina clowns.



    Not a lot to say about these two... The spacer is a Saga Bossk with TVC B-wing gloves, TVC Stormtrooper head (dremeled to fit), and boots transplanted from a POTJ Imperial officer. The boots were the only tricky part, because I had to find feet that were angled to match Bossk's wide stance. I used cut off #2 screws again because I don't think any glue would hold up as well.

    The Corellian pirate, well, everyone already knows the parts here. The only tricky part was matching the shade of paint on the Ceremony Luke neck to Willrow's head and hands. After a couple of tries, I found that a 50/50 mix of Michael's craft store "Brown" and "Cocoa" was dead-on.





    Thanks for looking.
    Echo- Great Job on your customs!!! I have a couple questions for you;
    1. What helmet did you use on the yellow spacer?
    2. The corellian pirate is the TAC Ceremony Luke and the Legacy Wildrow Hood Head?

  3. #13
    Thanks, Nic. The helmet is from the POTJ BoShek. The pirate is TAC Luke with Willrow's head and hands.

  4. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by Echo_Six View Post
    Thanks, Nic. The helmet is from the POTJ BoShek. The pirate is TAC Luke with Willrow's head and hands.
    Awesome thanks for the answers. I am thinking about venturing into the world of customizing. I appreciate it!

  5. #15
    Finally finished this guy.







    I know he looks simple, but it's far and away the most complicated custom I've done (first color change, first swivel head to ball joint). Pardon me if I drone on a bit.

    He's a Saga Legends Bossk with a POTJ BoShek head, TVC Bespin Luke forearms, and Willrow Hood feet. I sanded down the scales on Bossk's neck to look like human skin, then sanded and tapered his shins to convert them to boot tops. I'm pleased with the boots mod, and will be repeating it on my earlier cantina spacer custom to re-gain the ankle articulation. One note of interest: I ordered a fodder Bossk from Tunghori, and mine arrived without having gone through the sonic welding/gluing processes at the factory. The crotch didn't have to be cracked, and the harness attachment points didn't have to be cut apart. A few less things to worry about!

    The mating collar for the helmet is the Bossk collar sanded thin (to the thickness of the silver y-straps in front) then superglued to the top disk, which started as a wheel from a 1/25 model car kit. This collar sits higher than on the POTJ BoShek, but they're approximately the same diameter.

    I originally tried using RIT to dye the pieces, but that proved futile -- After days of simmering the bits, I ended up with brown pieces with blue joint disks. I then went with VHT automotive vinyl spray dye, which performed awesomely. Very smooth, even texture with a nice semi-gloss sheen. Since playability is primary, I smoothed out the joint disks and sanded them down to prevent paint rub. Using thin strips of very fine sandpaper (cut to the width of the joint disk) and a lot of tedious back-and-forth joint ratcheting, I was eventually able to thread the paper completely through the joint.



    Once I got to this point, it was easy to sand the disk to a point slightly below the joint's surface. Caution: If you try this, cut the paper as close to the width of the disk slot as possible. If it's too thin, the paper will slide from side-to-side and sand the disk surface to a concave shape. Ask me how I know.

    There are still a couple of issues with the figure:

    First, no holster as yet. Obviously a gunbelt won't fit, and the harness straps and hoses are big obstacles. I'm thinking a BS Mara Jade holster has potential, though.

    Second, I'm not capable of adding some fine paint detail such as the gold collar tabs, the gloss black/white outlined sleeve panels, or the white shoulder piping. Too much diet Mountain Dew has ravaged my central nervous system to the point that I'd never be satisfied with the results of my attempt to add these details. I'd rather do without than have them slopped up.

    Last, the boots don't have the buckle straps like the POTJ version, and I went with gloss black instead of gray. In my mind, anyone with the extraordinary fashion sense to rock a set of porkchops like these wouldn't commit the faux pas of wearing gray boots with a black belt.

    Lessons learned:

    1) I need bifocals, terribly.

    2) If I could do it again, instead of spraying the entire harness white, I'd brush-paint the outer edges only. On re-assembly, paint from the inner edges rubbed onto the black in a few spots. It cleaned off though, and there haven't been any repeats yet.

    Now to revisit a couple of previous entries:

    TO ALL WHO SHALL SEE THESE PRESENTS, GREETING:

    In recognition of exceptional performance in his duties, consisting entirely of standing around at Parade Rest, despite having been shipped from the factory with an unglued lieutenant insignia, this nameless Imperial stooge is hereby appointed a Colonel in the Imperial Army yadda yadda yadda...



    And last and least, I completed my Y-wing landing gear project. The "MK I" used 3/16 tubing exclusively, and did okay; however, the tubing was too small for the slots in the gear struts, resulting in slack at full extension or retraction. For the "MK II," I cut some thicker 1/4 tubing for the end sections, then chucked them into a drill and turned them against a file (ghetto lathe) until they fit inside the strut slots.





    I shaved the area circled below with an X-Acto to provide clearance for the machine screw head when the struts are lowered.





    As Pello discovers, even in a universe with faster-than-light travel, the 5/16 hydrospanner will still fall onto the crossmember just out of your reach.



    Now for the final test: Resistance to collapse, as measured in Rowlingometers. So far, so good.


  6. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by Echo_Six View Post
    Finally finished this guy.







    I know he looks simple, but it's far and away the most complicated custom I've done (first color change, first swivel head to ball joint). Pardon me if I drone on a bit.

    He's a Saga Legends Bossk with a POTJ BoShek head, TVC Bespin Luke forearms, and Willrow Hood feet. I sanded down the scales on Bossk's neck to look like human skin, then sanded and tapered his shins to convert them to boot tops. I'm pleased with the boots mod, and will be repeating it on my earlier cantina spacer custom to re-gain the ankle articulation. One note of interest: I ordered a fodder Bossk from Tunghori, and mine arrived without having gone through the sonic welding/gluing processes at the factory. The crotch didn't have to be cracked, and the harness attachment points didn't have to be cut apart. A few less things to worry about!

    The mating collar for the helmet is the Bossk collar sanded thin (to the thickness of the silver y-straps in front) then superglued to the top disk, which started as a wheel from a 1/25 model car kit. This collar sits higher than on the POTJ BoShek, but they're approximately the same diameter.

    I originally tried using RIT to dye the pieces, but that proved futile -- After days of simmering the bits, I ended up with brown pieces with blue joint disks. I then went with VHT automotive vinyl spray dye, which performed awesomely. Very smooth, even texture with a nice semi-gloss sheen. Since playability is primary, I smoothed out the joint disks and sanded them down to prevent paint rub. Using thin strips of very fine sandpaper (cut to the width of the joint disk) and a lot of tedious back-and-forth joint ratcheting, I was eventually able to thread the paper completely through the joint.



    Once I got to this point, it was easy to sand the disk to a point slightly below the joint's surface. Caution: If you try this, cut the paper as close to the width of the disk slot as possible. If it's too thin, the paper will slide from side-to-side and sand the disk surface to a concave shape. Ask me how I know.

    There are still a couple of issues with the figure:

    First, no holster as yet. Obviously a gunbelt won't fit, and the harness straps and hoses are big obstacles. I'm thinking a BS Mara Jade holster has potential, though.

    Second, I'm not capable of adding some fine paint detail such as the gold collar tabs, the gloss black/white outlined sleeve panels, or the white shoulder piping. Too much diet Mountain Dew has ravaged my central nervous system to the point that I'd never be satisfied with the results of my attempt to add these details. I'd rather do without than have them slopped up.

    Last, the boots don't have the buckle straps like the POTJ version, and I went with gloss black instead of gray. In my mind, anyone with the extraordinary fashion sense to rock a set of porkchops like these wouldn't commit the faux pas of wearing gray boots with a black belt.

    Lessons learned:

    1) I need bifocals, terribly.

    2) If I could do it again, instead of spraying the entire harness white, I'd brush-paint the outer edges only. On re-assembly, paint from the inner edges rubbed onto the black in a few spots. It cleaned off though, and there haven't been any repeats yet.





    Awesome just missing the little details on his shoulders.


  7. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by kk1 View Post
    Awesome just missing the little details on his shoulders.
    Thanks. Believe me, I spent a lot of time practicing thin lines so I could add the details, but the results weren't acceptable. As long as I'm "painting within the lines," like on the vest or belt details I can do okay -- When I try freehand stuff, things go south in a hurry.

    Edited to add: After thinking about it a little more, I can probably paint four thin styrene strips a gold/brass color and glue them to the mating collar... The shoulder/sleeve details are still beyond my meager abilities, though. I considered printing up waterslide decals for the gloss black/white outlined panels on the upper arms, but I'm afraid that even if I could apply them over the sculpted wrinkles on the suit they wouldn't hold up very well.
    Last edited by Echo_Six; 02-24-2014 at 07:38 PM.

  8. #18
    I'm just wondering when Wilrow Hood went on such an extreme diet plan. He really lost a ton of weight when he became a corellian smuggler.

    "You were the chosen one, you were supposed to destroy the *scalpers* not become one of them"

  9. #19
    Oh, those shots of Y-Wing maintenance! Out-filthyword-standing!
    "...cross me, and you'll soon discover that under this playful, boyish exterior beats the heart of a ruthless, sadistic maniac."
    -Lord Edmund Blackadder II

  10. #20
    Quote Originally Posted by rrighteous View Post
    I'm just wondering when Wilrow Hood went on such an extreme diet plan. He really lost a ton of weight when he became a corellian smuggler.

    Well, chronologically the pirate became Willrow, so... Apparently the moral of the story is that if you carry an ice cream maker (oh sorry, a "computer memory core") around with you all the time, you might add a few pounds.

Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •