Page 56 of 56 FirstFirst ... 646545556

Thread: Ree-Yees - #28

Yeah, makes no sense that his head would be shrunken but not his hands. The alien is supposed to have a huge head and giant hands. What is annoying is for the most part Hasbro usually sculpts the alien heads correctly. But for some reason, Ponda and Ree Yees and Starsher got the shrunken head treatment. Maybe all three were the same sculptor? Other than a slightly undersized cranium, this figure rocks! Lack of ankle joints, a small head, unpainted boots and lack of a glass being packed in kept him from being flawless. Still easily one of the best figures of 2014, though!
    Most Wanted
    Arleil Schous/Aunt Beru/Barada/BespEsc Leia/Cane Adiss/Cantina Bnd Mmbr/8D8/EV9D9/Ewk Leia/Fozec/Garouf Lafoe/Lak Sivrak/Lars GNK/Lobot/Momaw Nadon/MonMothma/Motti/Piett/Reegesk/SB Weequay/Shasa Tiel/Sim Aloo/Solomahal/Sy Snootles (puppet)/Taym Drengaren/Tessek/Tzizvvt/Velken Tezari/21B/Wuher/Yerka Mig/Yotts Orren/Yoxgit

Quote Originally Posted by Darth_Brett View Post
    But for some reason, Ponda and Ree Yees and Starsher got the shrunken head treatment. Maybe all three were the same sculptor? ............ Still easily one of the best figures of 2014, though!
    It would appear that sculpts are done with software these days (details are elsewhere on here, not sure where - julythrunov knows all about it). That makes the disproportionate head issue inexcusable.

Whilst I agree with the second point, to be fair there wasn't anything much in the way of competition!
    May you live in interesting times.

I'm sure software is part of the process, but I think they still sculpt with wax, then probably use a 3-D scanner to transfer the specs into the computer. There really is NO excuse for so many out of scale figures and heads. Especially with the digital age. Even if they do still sculpt in wax, with a few mouse clicks they should be able to correct any issues before toolings are made.

Well of the three, Ree Yees, Starsher and Ponda; Ree Yees was the least affected by the shrunken head. At least for me. Ponda Baba really didn't look right with his pea-sized melon and would have been so much more awesome had his head been properly scaled. Starsher still looks good and even more so if you do the custom fix where the breathing tubes are actually separate from the helmet.

What kind of annoys me is the mini-busts of these characters had accurately scaled heads. So why does Lucas approve figures that obviously have undersized heads when they approved the busts with correctly shaped heads? LoL

Sorry, regardless of the head being slightly small, I definitely recommend this figure for anybody!
    Most Wanted
    Arleil Schous/Aunt Beru/Barada/BespEsc Leia/Cane Adiss/Cantina Bnd Mmbr/8D8/EV9D9/Ewk Leia/Fozec/Garouf Lafoe/Lak Sivrak/Lars GNK/Lobot/Momaw Nadon/MonMothma/Motti/Piett/Reegesk/SB Weequay/Shasa Tiel/Sim Aloo/Solomahal/Sy Snootles (puppet)/Taym Drengaren/Tessek/Tzizvvt/Velken Tezari/21B/Wuher/Yerka Mig/Yotts Orren/Yoxgit

Quote Originally Posted by DJ121 View Post
    I'm sure software is part of the process, but I think they still sculpt with wax, then probably use a 3-D scanner to transfer the specs into the computer. There really is NO excuse for so many out of scale figures and heads. Especially with the digital age. Even if they do still sculpt in wax, with a few mouse clicks they should be able to correct any issues before toolings are made.
    I don't remember which site it was, but in one of the Hasbro interviews from Celebration, they said that they didn't sculpt in wax at all anymore - that they have digital sculpting tools in addition to 3d scanning and the sculpts are done entirely in software.
    Hasbro, hear my plea for the Rickshaw Droid!
    Current top five most wanted: rickshaw droid, Kalyn farnmir, veedaaz awmeth, toonbuck toora, BD-3000 "Betty droid".
    My feedback thread: http://forum.rebelscum.com/t858622/

anybody need this guy moc for $14 shipped ?
    My Trade Thread & My Feedback Thread
    WANT: Maleval, Phobos, Nicanus Tassu, Llats Ward

found this guy mint on card for $10 at a flea market. I picked him up and figured I'd flip it on ebay for a little profit (something i don't normally do) 5 minutes later I took him out of the bag to show my brother and the bubble immediately detached, lol. It jogged my memory about the crappy glue used on the bubbles. That's what I get for trying to profit, lol. I ended up giving him away to my cousin who still needs him. The only upside is that I found a vendor who has hard to find figures for retail or a dollar or two over.

Still never saw him and woud llike to get one.
    Dea wanna wanga

Finally opened up my 3.75" TBS Ree Yees. Great figure. I've always been a fan of the aliens from Jabba's Palace, and this is definitely one of most iconic ones. Though the Vintage & POTF2 figure are great, this is the best version of the character. Really like the detail in the head/eyes/hands, and the sculpt/articulation are also top-notch. Well done.

Page 56 of 56 FirstFirst ... 646545556