Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Repro Weapons where do they come from

Repro Weapons where do they come from

While putting together a vintage line, I came across repro weapons. I purchsed a few to have complete figures, but they are different. The sellers were up front on what they had and offered excellent service, I've got no complaints about them. But where do they come from? I've looked into plastic casting myself, but you need a mold for that and the mold (I would use) would be the original. So where do these come from? How long have they been around? I'm new into the collecting part. LAst time I had any was when I played with them thirty years ago.

Reproduction weapons generally started to turn up in the 90's. the original intention was a cheap alternative for some of the most commonly lost weapons and parts. They were probably cast off of an original weapon, in someone's basement who was messing around with casting and making molds.

I can understand the original intent. I guess the bad ones are copies of copies. You lose a little detail each time. But still 99 cents beats $40 any day. Unfortunately, I'm so anal retentive, I'll end up buying the $40 blaster later.

Banned

Hi Chris, most you see now are made in china, many of the early ones where 'home' jobs made out of casts people had knocked up, honestly the best advice i could give is to by the real deal now, it will save you doing it later, but each to their own buddy, but you'll find out they are not very popular in the community or in these forums, im not a fan myself, but each to their own Chris, cheers

They are a stain on the community.
    Dont Buy - Dont Sell

simple.
    Big L Rest In Peace!
    my feedback :Feedback for Snake_Eyes_82
    Other Stuff I collect https://www.flickr.com/photos/140128699@N03/albums

I agree that they are lesser quality. However, I don't see it as something so simple. I'm putting together a vintage set and I want it complete for display. I bought what was advertised as a repro Lando General's blaster for 99 cents and it looks like the original. I went looking for the real deal and all I could find was a $40. I only paid $10 for the figure. Same thing with Yoda and his accesories. My son bought a Yoda a few years back that was basically naked. I thought I'd collect the accesories for him. It will cost me more to buy the accesories than to buy a complete Yoda with original accesories. It's the same thing in the auto market. Original equipment parts will run you 10x or more than aftermarket parts. But when it's all put together, only the real collectors can tell the difference. Unfortunately, people take advantage of that and that's why the collector community here doesn't like repro weapons. For my own collection, I'll end up spending the money to get the real thing, but not everyone can spend that kind of money, so that's where the repros come in. To offer an alternative to a bloated market place that people like me have created. I say me because someday, I will buy a $40 blaster and jack the price up for everyone else.

Quote Originally Posted by Chrisd View Post
    I agree that they are lesser quality. However, I don't see it as something so simple. I'm putting together a vintage set and I want it complete for display. I bought what was advertised as a repro Lando General's blaster for 99 cents and it looks like the original. I went looking for the real deal and all I could find was a $40. I only paid $10 for the figure. Same thing with Yoda and his accesories. My son bought a Yoda a few years back that was basically naked. I thought I'd collect the accesories for him. It will cost me more to buy the accesories than to buy a complete Yoda with original accessories.
    This happens a lot. Just buy the complete figure, because as you said it will be cheaper in the long run. Someone out there somewhere is always looking for incomplete figures. Sell off the one with no parts, and make a bit of coin back.

Fake weapons help no one and will always be an irritant on the shelf ( spend extra it's worth it)....my first loose Jawa on evilbay came with a fake blaster and it broke my heart.....

How can you spot a repro?

Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast