Page 2 of 467 FirstFirst 12341252102 ... LastLast

Thread: The Black Series 6" Customs

I successfully tried the pencil upgrade on artoo. Then, minor customization on my sandtroopers. One is the normal one out of the box, the other is the same as the first one but without the pouch/ammunition thing on his shoulder, and the other is without pauldron or equipment, as he appears in the ANH hangar scene. I decided not to paint any pauldrons black or white. Ill just wait for those variants to come out, hopefully with different accessories.

Could anyone give some pics of this technique, I would really like to get a visual of what everyone is doing.
    I kinda lost it for a while,
    not sure if I've ever really found it......
    @ instagram #19Vance75

Its somewhere in the artoo thread. Last ten pages surely. It's not rocket science, you take a sharp pencil and stick the point in the various grooves, dirtying them. Smudging is optional. Some members have also given him weathering to very good effect, but the pencil method is better i think because it is less permanent and it does make artoo look better.

As an avid prototype model railroader I can confirm the pencil trick. However, chalks work just as well, as does a subtle dry brush technique. All methods can be applied liberally then wiped away with a dry or slightly damp rag until the desired effect is achieved. the key is to get the dark colors into the cracks, but not on everything else, thus highlighting the detail. I used multiple layers of various techniques to transform my subpar Ninja Turtle figures into high-quality-looking posable statues. Simply painting some of the fine details and accessories can often improve any figure by at least 50%. Hope this helps any of you new customizers.
    You know that little voice in your head? My wife says I lack that.

It would certainly have helped Hasbro sell more copies of R2D2 :/ why they didnt do it when it was in the prototype is completely beyond me.

Well I snagged another R2 to give this here pencil trick a try. Has anyone tried any soft to hard leads with this? I have a slew of pencils that I could hit this lil guy up with.
    @ instagram #19Vance75

Id say the softer the better, as long as you get it in the grooves. Smudging is optional but be careful or itll end up like something that fell down the chimney on xmas eve.

Quote Originally Posted by Bolingbroke View Post
    Id say the softer the better, as long as you get it in the grooves. Smudging is optional but be careful or itll end up like something that fell down the chimney on xmas eve.
    Will do, thanks guys for the heads up on this. NEVER would have thought to use a pencil.
    @ instagram #19Vance75

•    
    I'd like to see some pics of this pencil process. I was thinking of painting a light wash to make those panels and lines in R2 pop.

Page 2 of 467 FirstFirst 12341252102 ... LastLast