Page 1 of 29 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Spaceport Playset

Spaceport Playset

Let me start off by saying.....I hate foamcore. Don't get me wrong, I'm in awe of all the amazing foamcore based dioramas I've seen here but I personally despise working with the stuff. It's perfect for true shelf top display pieces but the stuff I make is on the far end of the PLAYset side of the diorama spectrum. I have 2 boys ages 6 & 9 and I wanted to make them a ginormous city sized spaceport and I needed the thing to last thru not only their adventures but also those of their cousins, friends and well, me.

About 99% of the entire structure is wood, mainly a mix of 5/8" plywood for the actual buildings and 3/4" for the landing platforms. Most all the piping, panels, circuit boxes, furniture, cabinets and other greeblies are wood also. I can usually do the construction of a building within an afternoon but the interior layout, painting, details and props/furniture can take a week or so.....usually longer because I work on about 6 different sections at the same time plus I don't really draw up any plans ahead of time. Each building can be removed so the whole playset is basically modular. By the time had built the 3rd or 4th building I realized the whole thing was pretty much going to be a 3 dimensional jigsaw puzzle. So far, it all measures about 6 feet long, around 3 feet wide and 5 feet tall.....yeah, it takes up a little bit of space but several kids can play on it at the same time.

This spaceport started out with the idea of being basically a nexus of all sci-fi worlds. My kids play this way anyway (I do too) with mixing all their 3.75" toylines into their adventures. If every sci-fi universe were a major city then this spaceport would be a back roads truck stop where they can all converge, refuel, pick up supplies, get drunk, have an alien tryst, and get into a gun fight. This also frees me from anything needing to be screen or story accurate. Basically anything goes when it comes to the design theme of the whole structure. I wanted something along the lines of Mos Eisley meets Blade Runner meets Deadwood. I thought the name "Rot Gut Station" sounded great for this.

Here are a few quick cell phone shots of most of the exterior.

Last edited by Empire; 05-13-2013 at 03:00 PM.

I'm currently working on the new side mounted lower level section which will feature a garage/landing platform, a police station with jail and a cargo bay with loading dock.

this looks amazing.... very jealous. this is the kind of playset I wish i had as a kid growing up.
    Longing for the Good Old Kenner Days where SW Figures were in great supply and everyone was able to find their favorite characters etc..... Hasbro you need to follow this example ! Twitter: @SWChamp
    http://forum.rebelscum.com/t1055416/

Quote Originally Posted by DarkArtist View Post
    this looks amazing.... very jealous. this is the kind of playset I wish i had as a kid growing up.
    Thanks, yeah those homemade cardboard box/dixie cup playsets I made as a kid I'm sure looked like this in my head tho.

Here's the interior of The Blue Waffle bar/lounge.

Banned

Man spectacular, what a great dad, what a joy it must be for your kids and you getting to play with that together, just beautiful stuff, congrats mate

Banned

LOL, And blue waffle, i forgot to mention have you googled that and seen the pics of blue waffle on the net, why did you chose to call it that lol, and WARNING when googling blue waffle disease , you dont want to be eating at the same time lol or looking it up at work..
    Last edited by AussieFortuna; 05-13-2013 at 10:20 AM.

My kids give me feedback on what new buildings they would like to have added. I joked about adding an alien daycare center for the kids of the spice pirates, smugglers and bounty hunters and they want that to be the next new section.

Quote Originally Posted by AussieFortuna View Post
    LOL, And blue waffle, i forgot to mention have you googled that and seen the pics of blue waffle on the net, why did you chose to call it that lol, and WARNING when googling blue waffle disease , you dont want to be eating at the same time lol or looking it up at work..
    When I built the bar I had no idea what to name it. When it came time to paint I chose a random blue can of spray I already had on hand and figured The Blue Waffle name fit for a sleazy lounge and I guess the station med center makes a little cash on the Waffle's clientele as a result. It's kind of an educational playset.

Here is the diner you can access from the back of the bar. It's all a marketing ploy, place the only true restaurant on the station where you have to walk past the bar to get to it. However, they do serve actual waffles there.

This is the Robomart on the roof of the bar. They offer droid sales & service and where else will you find a Ferengi selling Twiki and a Cylon?

Page 1 of 29 12311 ... LastLast