Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Should I have a focus? Do you have one?

Should I have a focus? Do you have one?

It's appealing for sure; a way to go a bit further in depth on a theme or character.

Right now I am sitting on a full set of loose figures less the PotF releases, all in excellent to near mint condition with original accessories. My loose ships and playsets are being gradually upgraded to boxed examples. I've not gone after any Ewoks-themed items (e.g. Village, Battle Wagon etc.), mini-rigs or PotF/Droids vehicles. I've been concentrating on the screen-seen stuff. Just concentrating on hunting down boxes now mainly.

But if I DID do a focus, I think it would be on a bounty hunter. Fett is obvious but too expensive nowadays. Bossk is cool for sure and he has the benefit of more related stuff - like the mail-away offer and the CAP-2 mini-rig. I've always liked IG-88 too. My idea of a focus would be an example of the figure on each debut cardback (i.e. a debut ESB, a debut RotJ, a Trilogo, a PotF as applicable) and the major loose variations (e.g. for IG-88 the metallic and matte-grey finishes), and maybe a pre-production item or two.

Perhaps after I've accumulated a few more boxes I need, I'll think more about a focus. Here's a question - for you focus collectors, what's your focus, how far into it do you go, and do you maintain a "general" collection as well as your focus?

Cheers

d.

I decided to cast kind of a wide net and go for a Jabba's Palace focus. Multiple playsets, vehicles and creatures to go after, not to mention probably 30-35 individual figures that fit in there. Enough to keep me busy for a while.

I also maintain a "general" collection, but as of now it consists of exactly one vintage ship, one vintage figure (B-Wing and B-Wing pilot), and a random assortment of Jabba and Boba Fett-related modern stuff. I guess that's the point of having a focus in the first place
    Last edited by bodhi_tree777; 02-20-2013 at 02:23 PM.

I've not gone for a 'focus' either but I agree that IG-88 would be a cool choice - he kinda has that mean look like a Terminator exo-skeleton!

Plus I saw a modern item recently, can't remember whether it was a Sideshow one or what the brand was, but it was an incredible looking IG-88 sculpt and it stood on a grating which also acted as a light and illuminated the figure in very dramatic style... probably the only modern piece i've ever been tempted by!
    BONSAI'S BIG COLLECTION...of little figures July 2016 UPDATE! Vintage Price Guide
    http://forum.rebelscum.com/t1086230/

Quote Originally Posted by Bonsai_Tree_Ent View Post
    Plus I saw a modern item recently, can't remember whether it was a Sideshow one or what the brand was, but it was an incredible looking IG-88 sculpt and it stood on a grating which also acted as a light and illuminated the figure in very dramatic style... probably the only modern piece i've ever been tempted by!
    That's the Sideshow figure I think - just looked it up and wow is it ever cool! IG-88 Sixth Scale Figure - Sideshow Collectibles - SideshowCollectibles.com

d.

I went back & forth about starting a focus myself -

I just recently started a pathetic Luke Jedi focus with not much to it yet

Having said that I fully expect to maintain a regular collection & am currently pursuing a complete set of POTF coins, various GG Jumbo figures & mini busts, Vintage Micro Collection, & Vintage Bootlegs

Needless to say the above should keep my bust for awhile

You hear so much on this forum/elsewhere in the hobby about focuses, runs, first shots/prototypes, proofs, bootlegs etc. that it's easy to get carried away thinking that if you're not doing likewise you're not a real collector, but it's all about personal choice. Whilst I respect people that want to collect those things they hold no interest for me beyond looking at the occasional limelights - I'm in it purely for re-collecting things that meant something to me as a child and when I have all those I will simply stop.

You're in this hobby for you - so what reason are you collecting for? I would assume that a focus is something that chooses you not vice versa so if you've not got a figure/character/scene that jumps out at you as "the one" then you probably shouldn't be focusing on anyone. Do boxed items do it for you more than one specific thing,m if so maybe you should be looking at a run instead? Maybe look at limelights and see if anything there calls to you?

Hello

To anyone thinking of starting a focus. I would suggest just take your time and enjoy what you collecting at the moment. Dont feel the need to focus on anything or feel like less of a collector because you dont feel your progressing down a certain path or what may seem like following the herd.

Lots of collectors complete certain runs and lots dont feel the need to bother. If I was to count the amount of different collecting projects/focuses iv tried taking on whilst being a member here on RS then im probably on project/focus 10. Basically each project/focus was sold of to try and fund the next project/focus and so on until I found an area of the hobby that I really connected with. Alot of the time a focus will find you without you trying too hard to find it.

One focus Iv always admired but never gotten round to is a Revenge proof card run. Its an unproduced run of Preproduction material and most of the top characters are on those cardbacks.

Regards

Grant.
    Some where in the Outer Rim Territories...

Quote Originally Posted by dienstuhr View Post
    It's appealing for sure; a way to go a bit further in depth on a theme or character.

Right now I am sitting on a full set of loose figures less the PotF releases, all in excellent to near mint condition with original accessories. My loose ships and playsets are being gradually upgraded to boxed examples. I've not gone after any Ewoks-themed items (e.g. Village, Battle Wagon etc.), mini-rigs or PotF/Droids vehicles. I've been concentrating on the screen-seen stuff. Just concentrating on hunting down boxes now mainly.

But if I DID do a focus, I think it would be on a bounty hunter. Fett is obvious but too expensive nowadays. Bossk is cool for sure and he has the benefit of more related stuff - like the mail-away offer and the CAP-2 mini-rig. I've always liked IG-88 too. My idea of a focus would be an example of the figure on each debut cardback (i.e. a debut ESB, a debut RotJ, a Trilogo, a PotF as applicable) and the major loose variations (e.g. for IG-88 the metallic and matte-grey finishes), and maybe a pre-production item or two.

Perhaps after I've accumulated a few more boxes I need, I'll think more about a focus. Here's a question - for you focus collectors, what's your focus, how far into it do you go, and do you maintain a "general" collection as well as your focus?

Cheers

d.
    GREAT question- i had this same situation.

Heres what happened- Like many of you, the movies got me into the toys. I had them as a little kid. I have great memories. One movie stuck out tho, ESB. and more to the point, the opening scenes on Hoth. So, I started thinking about what I had,,, what I had always wanted that I had missed. And thats where I started looking around, WOW, WEEEEE man, all this stuff, oh look at that,, and on and on was my reaction lol. Before you know it, I was finding out about Palitoy, next thing I am seeing diffrent carded Ewoks, and what is this, graded stuff? and stuff thats MISB... say what no way!!!???.....

well, all this was just overwhelming for the senses. Its like,, it never ends. I couldnt make my mind up at first because of EVERYTHING out there. So, I said, ok ima get what i like in general of SW vintage toys. Quickly I noticed there was too much stuff I wanted!! and way lots of money!

So I kept Hoth at the top of my mind,,, but the question was, boxed or graded? man I cant make my mind up. What to do? What whats thing,, next thing I am being distracted by a Rancor thats graded lmao! So again I said. wait wait wait a minute... AFter a couple days of seeing STUFF,, I said look, this is nuts,,,, SO at that time, I made my mind up, Ima going for the favorite part and fond memories I had,, and that was the Hoth scenes,,, I had received Hoth items from my parents. At that time i made my resolve-

1- Graded items OR get MISB and get them graded (since I found the process so interesting that I Wanted to get it done myself)
    2- stick to a certain line, in this case, Kenner items, sold in the US
    3- dont do anything outside of ESB Hoth items PERIOD, because I knew if i didnt repeat this in my mind I Would be distracted
    4- As a treat and settle the interest in the other toys, I allowed myself to purchase a few non Hoth items, those being a graded Rancor, graded Rancor Keeper (because u cant have a Rancor running wild, someones gotta keep him in line) and a Chewbacca bandolier graded, since I had one as a kid. Around that time I also picked up a MISB shuttle and a MISB CAP i think it is. BUT thats where i drew the line. no more,,,

So that was and has been my game plan. I havent veered from any vintage items that have a Hoth focus. I have placed it as a goal,, to get all the vintage Hoth items, then figures from Hoth. AFter thats all done, THEN we can start somewhere else.

Now, I have purchased a few recently released Vintage SW, thanks to some of you *&($&#&$%# hobbyists there!!!! lol haha JUST KIDDING.. but yea, a few guys here were talking about the Gamorrean guards and I couldnt resist,, so i picked up a few, also picked up a Luke Hoth and tauntaun from this recent Vintage line.

But overall, I continue to remain on track, sticking to Hoth ESB SW original vintage .

Its hard but keeping a goal and plan helps!

I guess I'll start by answering your questions.

What's your focus?
    Luke Jedi is my character focus.

How far into it do you go
    I mainly go for toy/figure related items, but will also pick up the oddball type item on occasion as well. I don't go full out buying everything under the sun though. I certainly could, but I also like to keep it manageable with the space that I have for display.

Do you maintain a "general" collection as well as your focus?
    I consider my other collecting habits to be a bit more focused as well rather than just buying anything and everything with SW on it. I learned a long time ago that I couldn't have everything, so I go for areas that I have an interest in. Sure, I have my basic loose set which I recently decided to expand into Droids and Ewoks, The Force Lightsaber, Mailers, and coins. These were all areas that I had an interest in even when I was working on just loose figures. I don't think there's anything wrong with a random collection, but I guess I'm more of one to try to complete some kind of set or having things a bit uniform. Also, by being a bit more focused I can do more on the research end of things and because of that I've even had a discovery or two of my own in one of those areas that was previously unknown/not well known.

When I see a thread like this asking what character they should focus on I generally think that means a focus probably isn't right for the poster. Generally, it is a favorite character/figure or just something that happened while collecting. In my case, back when I was a newer collector Luke Jedi was still my favorite, but I had no idea in '96 that I'd start a character focus on him a decade later. It just happened as I picked up a few loose variations of him and he was my first MOC. For some reason I couldn't stop buying him.

However, based on what you've said, a selection of bounty hunter related items might be a fun way to go rather than just picking one character. You'd still be able to incorporate Fett in there without going for the crazy priced items. In the end though it is up to you on what you want to do. You can always pick up a few items and if it isn't for you, then sell them on and go to something else.
    Collection Website|U Grade FAQ|My Feedback

WTB: Luke Jedi POTF Proof

I decided on Walrusman since that was my favourite as a child and evoked the most memories, coincidentally it's not a character which demands an unrealistic outlay for collecting on a budget. That's more by luck than judgement but it ticked all the boxes for me. The fact that he's a bit of an underdog makes him even more endearing to my mind, that and the fact that a few of the peripheral toys/playsets associated with him are ANH based also appeals. Ultimately i just like those ridiculous flippers and lurid colour scheme, we ain't friends with Kenobi though

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast