Page 3 of 23 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: R4-p17 - SL06

Quote Originally Posted by darthsatan View Post
    A thoroughly bizarre choice and a baffling waste of tooling expenses. Because there aren't any astromech moulds lying about, are there?

I agree - and I think it actually looks like an ornament. If AOTC were coming out this year, I could see this selling, but since its not, will kids care about this droid? They could have repainted it to look like a CW droid, a bit more fresh in the collective memory of kids...

Could be worse, the last Droid with no ankles was the Star Tours R3-D3 and that can't stand upright or fit in a Droid slot because of the fixed posed legs.

Quote Originally Posted by darth_sidious View Post
    I agree - and I think it actually looks like an ornament. If AOTC were coming out this year, I could see this selling, but since its not, will kids care about this droid? They could have repainted it to look like a CW droid, a bit more fresh in the collective memory of kids...
    Except I don't think anyone in the entertainment business is convinced kids are even watching that show. It does okay in the ratings, but the demo seems to skew older - like teenagers and up.

But an Artoo... that would sense to me. Maybe Hasbro has good data on Arfour? Maybe he's a strong seller? Or maybe they were just too far down the river with the merch for AOTC and ROTS 3D and this is just the result of last year's planning?

Quote Originally Posted by TheRealDub View Post
    Except I don't think anyone in the entertainment business is convinced kids are even watching that show. It does okay in the ratings, but the demo seems to skew older - like teenagers and up.

But an Artoo... that would sense to me. Maybe Hasbro has good data on Arfour? Maybe he's a strong seller? Or maybe they were just too far down the river with the merch for AOTC and ROTS 3D and this is just the result of last year's planning?
    I think the demo it does the best in is 9-14, according to reports - and while they did see a dip in live viewership ratings when they moved from Friday to Saturday, its still going strong - frequently the top program for that demo the day it airs. Theres something to be said for the countless people that DVR the program as well - I know I've only seen it a few times live. The CW line itself did very well, so I think repaints and new characters from that show in the Legends and Mission Series lines would do equally well.

Quote Originally Posted by darth_sidious View Post
    I think the demo it does the best in is 9-14, according to reports - and while they did see a dip in live viewership ratings when they moved from Friday to Saturday, its still going strong - frequently the top program for that demo the day it airs. Theres something to be said for the countless people that DVR the program as well - I know I've only seen it a few times live. The CW line itself did very well, so I think repaints and new characters from that show in the Legends and Mission Series lines would do equally well.
    Well... maybe it was a directive from Lucasfilm to start wrapping it up?

They made some unbelievably great figures in that line. Pre Vizla still blows my mind. Had a great, long run.

If TV ratings for the series are falling it might have something to do with all the animated logos & pop-up promo crap smeared all over the screen during broadcast.

I won't be getting this. I can't believe how stupid they are to waste money tooling this figure instead of just repainting an older version, a better version for that matter! Kids will get it regardless and it would also appeal to collectors!
    Most wanted figures: Mighella the nightsister, Mon calamari dancers (female and male), BD-3000 (red and green), SA realistic Hondo Onaka, any of jabbas human henchmen and as many SA TFA figures we can get!

Quote Originally Posted by mandalorehunter View Post
    I won't be getting this. I can't believe how stupid they are to waste money tooling this figure instead of just repainting an older version, a better version for that matter! Kids will get it regardless and it would also appeal to collectors!
    The reason for not simply re-issuing an older mold is as follows:

1. More moving parts means higher production cost which means higher retail cost (more plastic + longer assembly time = more expensive.) So even those ankles
    2. Hasbro is done (for the moment) re-releasing any previously sculpted figures. From JTA:

Question: (Paraphrased) There are many figures I never got to see in stores, especially Exar Kun and Ulic Qel-Droma from the Comic Packs line. Will you find a way to get these out again?
    ANSWER: Hasbro at the moment seem to be "done" with rereleasing previously sculpted figures. From here on out, whether super-articulated (14 points) or simply-articulated (5 points) figures will be all-new with very few exceptions. So older figures, no matter how great or small, will not be seeing a second chance at retail now.

Now, that's not a direct quote from Hasbro and the interview wasn;t conducted by an actual reporter, so how accurate that is, I don't know. At any rate, there's some business logic operating there, and I find that second reason much more interesting.

The "retiring" of molds will certainly start to create a stronger secondary market, which even if Hasbro doesn't admit it, is important to a brand's street cred/staying power with certain consumers (because it leads to speculating and hoarding, and thus secondary market inflation and price fixing.) So that VOTC Han you're sitting on? Might actually be worth a few bucks in another 10 years.

They're just toys to me, but value seems to be important to some folks (especially in the Vintage VINTAGE threads.)

Quote Originally Posted by mandalorehunter View Post
    This is the beginning of a line we are going to see for years to come. Collector figures will come and go, and these will be constant. The sculpts are as primitive as possible, saving money, and allowing the lower price point.

The absolute most simplistic Astromech sculpt prior to this, was as mentioned earlier, the original Ep. 1 R2-B1 with his terrible, elongated torso, and poor details. This new one is a vast improvement, and perfectly made for the lower price point.
    Loving Disney and all things Danish and Japanese!!!

And some are questioning, "Why R4-P17"? Now, while I'd love Artoo, or an OT droid, there will be an Artoo in the 6" line. Maybe Hasbro is listening, and won't have an R2 or Qui-Gonn or Obi Wan, in EVERY single line on the shelves at the same time.
    Loving Disney and all things Danish and Japanese!!!

Page 3 of 23 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast