Page 1 of 26 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Stand-Alone Star Wars Films General Discussion Thread

Post Stand-Alone Star Wars Films General Discussion Thread

Here is the official statement from Lucasfilm about Stand-alone Star Wars movies:
    The Star Wars cinematic galaxy is about to experience a Big Bang. Lucasfilm is officially announcing new spinoff films that will expand the mythos and depths of the Star Wars universe in previously unexplored ways.

One of the standalone films will be written by Lawrence Kasdan, screenwriter of The Empire Strikes Back, Raiders of the Lost Ark, and co-writer of Return of the Jedi while the other will be penned by Simon Kinberg, writer of Sherlock Holmes and Mr. and Mrs. Smith. The movies will be separate from the upcoming Episodes VII, VIII, and IX, on which Kasdan and Kinberg are also consulting, and are expected to be released sometime after Episode VII. Each standalone film will focus on a specific character, and two spinoff films are currently confirmed.

In a call to investors, Bob Iger, chairman and CEO of The Walt Disney Company, revealed while the original focus was on the highly-anticipated sequel trilogy, the idea of spinoff films was bandied about early and the additional films are now becoming a reality. "We are in development of a few standalone films," he said, "that are not part of the Star Wars saga...there are now creative entities working on developing scripts for what would be those standalone films."

So we have a rumored Yoda and possibly Boba Fett film, what characters deserve stand alone films? What do you think about new seperate films that aren't in the episode order?

Sounds like they might come before Ep. 8? Confusing for the masses?

If the Star Wars film by Kinberg bears as much relation to proper Star Wars as his Sherlock Holmes film does to proper Sherlock Holmes, we are all doomed. That was the single worst piece of utter utter obnoxious @%$* to come out of Hollywood in years.
    Last edited by darthsatan; 02-06-2013 at 03:24 AM.
    May you live in interesting times.

Ooohh they're really milking it now.......

Quote Originally Posted by darthsatan View Post
    If the Star Wars film by Kinberg bears as much relation to proper Star Wars as his Sherlock Holmes film does to proper Sherlock Holmes, we are all doomed. That was the single worst piece of utter utter obnoxious @%$* to come out of Hollywood in years.
    I wasn't much of a fan of it, either, but there have been a number of Sherlock adaptations to come out in the last few years alone that bear very little resemblance to the original.

Jeremy Brett and Basil Rathbone all the way, baby.

As for the character spin-offs, this could be pretty cool. It sounds like Disney is ready to really bankroll this thing heavily if they're starting development this soon before Ep. VII. I'm excited. My guess is, they're going to have to use very heavily established characters to get butts in theater seats. I could see Yoda fitting that bill, but is Boba Fett widely enough known outside of fandom? We'll have to see.

This is definitely going to make the Episodes feel less special. I wish stand Alones would have started after Episode 9.
    R.I.P. PETER MAYHEW

finally. we'll get to see jar jar's origin as a tadpole. can't wait.
    "Is there anyone on this ship, who even remotely, looks like Satan?" -- James Kirk, U.S.S. Enterprise.

Quote Originally Posted by nesguy View Post
    but is Boba Fett widely enough known outside of fandom? We'll have to see.
    The answer to your question... ignoring the fact that this is an enormous fandom.... is yes. Fett us actually one of the more popular characters in the Saga.
    "That Mando pack is so higgledy piggledy.."
    -VintijDroidGutzz

seriously. I hope they don't de-mystify too many cool characters.
    like I said in the other thread, star wars has always been about myth-building. not myth-breaking.

example yoda: part of Yoda's appeal is the mystery surrounding his past -- we don't even know what race he is.
    going back to reveal every aspect of his origin-story would de-mystify him and shatter any myths that might have built-upon his mystique.

--> as long as the stand-alone Fett movie can succeed in building upon the character's mystique, without shattering it (through de-mystification of the character), then I'm OK with it.
    Last edited by Cobalt60; 02-06-2013 at 02:04 PM.
    "Is there anyone on this ship, who even remotely, looks like Satan?" -- James Kirk, U.S.S. Enterprise.

Quote Originally Posted by Cobalt60 View Post
    --> as long as the stand-alone Fett movie can succeed in building upon the character's mystique, without shattering it (through de-mystification of the character), then I'm OK with it.
    That has been done quite successfully already!
    May you live in interesting times.

I hope they are better than the 1978 Christmas stand alone special!

Page 1 of 26 12311 ... LastLast