Page 212 of 213 FirstFirst ... 112162202210211212213 LastLast
Results 2,111 to 2,120 of 2121

Thread: Han Solo - May 25, 2018

Quote Originally Posted by GNT View Post
    As for Solo, the movie was fine and I liked everything about it. The trouble is Star Wars fatigue which played a part as TLJ left a bad taste in everyones mouth plus from memory it was up against tough competition around that time (Avengers Infinity War or something like that?).
    Uh no, a good movie is a good movie. Franchise fatigue is nonsense. Now, TLJ having left a bad taste in people mouth might account for some of it. Boycotting and all. But if you're a true fan, you go see it and make the determination for yourself.

Purposely trying to make a movie fail by not watching it isn't going to prove point, it just prevents future product we might actually want to see.
    Looking for:R3-H17, L3-37
    Sale List, Trade List, Non SW trades & Feedback

Star Wars doesn't have to be defined by the one actor as a certain character. Recasting happens all the time, give it time when they want to explore more OT periods they'll find new actors to fill the boots of Luke or Leia if need be.
    As much as Mark Hamill and Carrie Fisher are Luke and Leia for me, I'd have no problem with recasts to make shows or a miniseries about Luke and Leia before and during the OT.

I think Solo and even RO (had they not killed everybody) would have worked well in the series format. I enjoyed Solo, but they crammed so much stuff into just one film and they really could have made 6-8 epsiodes out of all of what they had. Yes, his time at the academy and on Momban would have had to have been shown or extended, but even the heist could have been made into a one-hour episode. With RO they could have put the team together and had a few different jobs they did in a mini series and have it end with the DS plans or something else.

I can understand when having less of certain characters is more and that's fine. If the Mandalorian does well, then Disney will know for sure, it's ok to make completely new characters and put them in familiar settings. You don't always need a main from one of the trilogies, like Vader, to get people to watch something like that.

Of course, I still want an Obi-Wan mini series or film.
    #1 want: Admiral Piett (3.75" TVC line)

I'd like to exercise my right to free speech, but I really don't have anything to say at the moment.

Rogue On worked out perfectly, one of the best Disney Star Wars movies yet. It worked well in setting everything up for ANH.
    Agree completely. It's a perfect example of a prequel that works without interfering with an original product. Unlike, say...the prequels.

As for Solo, the movie was fine and I liked everything about it. The trouble is Star Wars fatigue which played a part as TLJ left a bad taste in everyones mouth plus from memory it was up against tough competition around that time (Avengers Infinity War or something like that?).
    I just don't buy this "Star Wars fatigue" business at all, I'm afraid. If the films were uniformly good, there'd be no issues. It's Disney's oddball approach to the sequel films and the bad attempt to recast an OT character that didn't need a backstory that has folk tolling their eyes.

But it didn't have to be that way.

Disney had good will from most of the fans and a huge playground in which to develop their Stars Wars films and they made a mess of it. So much so, that they are halting everything, movie wise, and going on hiatus. That's pretty much an admittance on their behalf.

Star Wars doesn't have to be defined by the one actor as a certain character. Recasting happens all the time, give it time when they want to explore more OT periods they'll find new actors to fill the boots of Luke or Leia if need be.
    When you recast a character, you lose much of that character. It's almost inevitable. It's especially so when that character is played originally by what are essentially character actors. Ford, although he was a mega star, was really just a glorified character actor. In other words, he wasn't a great actor in the sense that Lawrence Olivier or Sean Penn are. He brings far too much of himself to a role, so you are always aware that you're watching Harrison Ford. Because of that, you don't get to recast his roles, without losing a lot and the same goes for Mark Hamill and Carrie Fisher.

And just because recasting happens all the time, it doesn't mean it's truly successful any of the time.

In any case, Star Wars doesn't need to go down this route at all. It's a big galaxy, with lots and lots of potential characters. Write new characters, it really isn't that difficult and to paraphrase you, Star Wars doesn't have to be defined by the OT three.

Only bad thing about Solo is that it's resulted in me saying "adventures" an inordinate amount of times.
    OT,PT,ST,RO,TPM,AOTC,ROTS,ANH,ESB,ROTJ,TFA,TLJ.... .STOP THE ABBREVIATION MADNESS!!! We are one abbreviation away from being scientologists. Now is the time to join The Abbreviation Resistance Movement!!!

Quote Originally Posted by CellBlock1138 View Post
    In any case, Star Wars doesn't need to go down this route at all. It's a big galaxy, with lots and lots of potential characters. Write new characters, it really isn't that difficult and to paraphrase you, Star Wars doesn't have to be defined by the OT three.
    I don’t expect Disney to reach out of their comfort zone— and more importantly to them, their profit zone and introduce all new characters/worlds/designs from a yet-to-be-filmed era— like the Old Republic/pre-Prequel, etc. until they’ve completely exhausted the OT-era for that last bit of profit.

If RO-quality is what they’re offering with Cassian/The Mandolarian, than I’m not complaining (...yet). And… if they’re going to insist on a (young) Solo series, they need to recast all-new characters, and most importantly, recast someone capable as a young Han, and give it similar tone to RO’s, then I’m open to it (cuz that Solo movie doesn’t exist to me). At this point, I have to be a realist and not pine for the unattainable, given the context. You know, George genuinely made an attempt at something new with TPM, and it ended up being the most hated SW episode of fandom. Sure— the movie was a boring mess, but his intentions were so admirable. I don’t blame George for despising the generally conservative fandom that just wants Han/Leia/Luke and Falcon/X-Wing/TIE all the time.

(I don’t care to see Mark/Harrison/Billy ever again in any SW story. I’ve nothing against them or their characters. It’s not just that their parts and their inclusion in this Sequel rendered their roles in the OT pointless, it’s also that their story was told and done with in ROTJ. Please move on now— and move on from the horrendous Scooby Doo simpletons of this Sequel’s and Solo’s brand of “characters” while they’re at it.)
    Last edited by farmer; 05-01-2019 at 09:53 AM.

Apologies if this has been covered before -- I'm new to this thread.

I was looking at my Lego's this morning, specifically Han's speeder, Moloch's speeder, and the Imperial Patrol speeder/troopers. It occurred to me that the chase on Corellia was very symbolic of Han's life, always running from either the established Order on one side, or the dark underbelly of society on the other, taking what he can because nothing is given freely; and the momentum of his life carries him on, away from the women who love him, leaving them to manage the best they can afterward.

Twice in his life he stops running to do the responsible thing for those he loves. The first time, he is tortured, frozen, and nearly thrown into a monstrous pit. The second time, he dies.
    Black Series Most Wanted:
    BODHI ROOK, SAW GERERRA, MOROFF, PAO, ADMIRAL RADDUS, PONDA BABA, DR. EVAZAN
    MOMAW NADON (HAMMERHEAD), YODA (RESCULPT!), BIB FORTUNA, REE-YEES
    WICKET W. WARRICK, LOGRAY, ADMIRAL ACKBAR (ROTJ), COUNT DOOKU, AAYLA SECURA, KI-ADI MUNDI

Quote Originally Posted by Fate View Post
    Apologies if this has been covered before -- I'm new to this thread.

I was looking at my Lego's this morning, specifically Han's speeder, Moloch's speeder, and the Imperial Patrol speeder/troopers. It occurred to me that the chase on Corellia was very symbolic of Han's life, always running from either the established Order on one side, or the dark underbelly of society on the other, taking what he can because nothing is given freely; and the momentum of his life carries him on, away from the women who love him, leaving them to manage the best they can afterward.

Twice in his life he stops running to do the responsible thing for those he loves. The first time, he is tortured, frozen, and nearly thrown into a monstrous pit. The second time, he dies.
    very good point allthough wouldn't you consider him stopping from running to help the rebels at the death star attack?

Just finished watching Solo again on 4k format.. Stunning visuals.. Great movie..
    I hope a sequel is made..it wasn't a block buster $$ but at the same time it didn't lose money..

http://epicstream.com/news/NobelleBo...-Solo-Backlash
    Last edited by Imperial1973; 06-02-2019 at 04:24 PM.

I really enjoyed the film and would love to see another one, although at this point, I'd prefer a TV series for more Solo stuff.
    #1 want: Admiral Piett (3.75" TVC line)

I'd like to exercise my right to free speech, but I really don't have anything to say at the moment.

Page 212 of 213 FirstFirst ... 112162202210211212213 LastLast