Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Celebration Europe II: Transportation

But I bet it's more expensive now? I'm flying from Newcastle costing £107 return booked ages ago.

Lieutenant Commander

3 of us forum members are leaving on the Thursday night from the Oxford/Reading UK area in a new 6 birth campervan. Returning late on Sunday night. If anyone wants to join us please feel free to PM me. The more we have the cheaper the cost. I have 2 potential guys at the moment who are yet to confirm.
    This will be an excellent road trip.

Is anyone else traveling from Berlin? If you're interested in coordinating travel, pm me.

Lieutenant Commander

BRACE YOURSELVES!!

OK guys, you've read the hype checked out the website and are really up for Celebration Europe 2
    The trouble is some of you are probably turned off by hotel costs, airport costs, transfer fees, taxis, volcanic ash threats etc.
    Check out the Jez solution;
    I have just got a great deal on my brand new (ok 12 months old) work Camper Van (AKA The Falcon)!!
    Cost of Campervan hire is £230 (Thursday pm until 0900am Monday morning) (plus optional £25 charge to reduce the insurance excess from £500 to £250.
    Cost (today) for Eurotunnel crossing is £180-£200 return. (we could also go by ferry for less!)
    Cost for fuel?? See below.
    Benson (where i and the camper van live) to Folkstone is 260 miles (round trip)
    Calais to Essen is 500 miles (round trip)
    Add 40 miles for incidental journeys.
    Total miles is apx 800.
    If the Camper Van runs at 25 MPG the cost would be; 800/25 = 32 gallons / 1 x gallon = £6.30 32 x 6.30 = £201.60
    If the Camper Van runs at 20 MPG the cost would be 800/20 = 40 gallons / 1 x gallon = £6.30 40 x 6.30 = £252.00
    I don't believe that the camper van is that inefficient, so these costs are worst case.
    There is also the additional bonus that fuel on the continent is cheaper than in the UK, CASHBACK.

So there we have it;
    Camper Van £255
    Fuel £250
    Euro Tunnel £200
    Total cost = £705
    Split between 4 of us that would cost just £176
    Split between 5 of us that would cost just £141

Much cheaper than flights, hotels and transfers and a lot more fun!!

This obviously doesn't include the cost of; the 3 day pass £90, food and drink etc
    and i have no idea where we will actually camp!

The plan would be to leave on Thursday night and drive back straight after the show in time to make the last crossing on Sunday night.

Grant (Maulster79) and Jason (Mr Palitoy) are already up for this, is anyone else?

This could be an epic adventure? Have you seen Paul? Have you seen Fanboys?
    Who's with us??

Meet the Falcon

[/quote]

If anyone wants more info, give me a PM

I was thinking FanBoys all the way lol! Sounds like a very fun trip and very cost efficient. I would take you up on if I were going, but alas I can't. Best of luck in your journey.

Quote Originally Posted by Jez View Post
    BRACE YOURSELVES!!

OK guys, you've read the hype checked out the website and are really up for Celebration Europe 2
    The trouble is some of you are probably turned off by hotel costs, airport costs, transfer fees, taxis, volcanic ash threats etc.
    Check out the Jez solution;
    I have just got a great deal on my brand new (ok 12 months old) work Camper Van (AKA The Falcon)!!
    Cost of Campervan hire is £230 (Thursday pm until 0900am Monday morning) (plus optional £25 charge to reduce the insurance excess from £500 to £250.
    Cost (today) for Eurotunnel crossing is £180-£200 return. (we could also go by ferry for less!)
    Cost for fuel?? See below.
    Benson (where i and the camper van live) to Folkstone is 260 miles (round trip)
    Calais to Essen is 500 miles (round trip)
    Add 40 miles for incidental journeys.
    Total miles is apx 800.
    If the Camper Van runs at 25 MPG the cost would be; 800/25 = 32 gallons / 1 x gallon = £6.30 32 x 6.30 = £201.60
    If the Camper Van runs at 20 MPG the cost would be 800/20 = 40 gallons / 1 x gallon = £6.30 40 x 6.30 = £252.00
    I don't believe that the camper van is that inefficient, so these costs are worst case.
    There is also the additional bonus that fuel on the continent is cheaper than in the UK, CASHBACK.

So there we have it;
    Camper Van £255
    Fuel £250
    Euro Tunnel £200
    Total cost = £705
    Split between 4 of us that would cost just £176
    Split between 5 of us that would cost just £141

Much cheaper than flights, hotels and transfers and a lot more fun!!

This obviously doesn't include the cost of; the 3 day pass £90, food and drink etc
    and i have no idea where we will actually camp!

The plan would be to leave on Thursday night and drive back straight after the show in time to make the last crossing on Sunday night.

Grant (Maulster79) and Jason (Mr Palitoy) are already up for this, is anyone else?

This could be an epic adventure? Have you seen Paul? Have you seen Fanboys?
    Who's with us??

Meet the Falcon

If anyone wants more info, give me a PM [/QUOTE]
    Lego ISD "Avenger"
    "Don't under estimate the power of the Dark Side"

Lieutenant Commander

We now have a fourth!

Hey is a taxi from the airport to Messe Essen cheap? I'm not sure I'm confident enough to navigate the train system so thought I would just take a taxi...

I think you'll be looking around the EUR30 mark. Like most other places though, ask around the taxis and don't go with the first one.

Quote Originally Posted by warnoeuk76 View Post
    from what I've read so far that the air port has 3 terminals and once you get out of the airport take
    the skytrain directly to the Dusseldorf Airport Station.

Then you can get a S-Bahn S1train directly to Essen Central Train Station and takes around 35 minutes

Traffic

Düsseldorf Airport - DUS - Train

Verkehrsverbund Rhein-Ruhr - Startseite
    The Rebelscum guide is recommending a different train route:
    From Düesseldorf International Airport you could take the Subway S11 (directed to Düesseldorf Main Station), switch trains at Derendorf into S6 which would bring you to Essen Main Station.

Is one route better than the other? One train sounds better to me. I'm not sure why they are recommending the two-train route...
    Trade Feedback
    WANTED: 2013 Big G Cereal Pens: Darth Vader and Anakin

Other than switching trains I don't think there is a difference. I suppose it depends on the frequency of the trains.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast