Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: You and your personal star Wars collection , do you care for it properly?

Banned

•    

Exclamation You and your personal star Wars collection , do you care for it properly?

Hello how do you look after your collection do you handle the boxes correctly without rubber gloves ? do you store your rare and collectors items properly I am sometimes saddened when collectors store them without any care then say yes there damaged now or got damaged , i store my full collection in my toy room its without natural light and any light i have in there is low there are no windows in it hidden by blinds and i have a lot of the stuff on show boxed of course with no problems i have little heat in the room and dust the stuff every other week the best tip for keeping boxes fresh and oil free is to use rubber gloves if you start you will see how great your boxes will look and feel touching them with bare hands makes the part you touch shiny over time next time you get a new item touch it where it would naturally be picked up and you will feel the oil from hands on it , you can remove this with damp cloth , then once its free of oil use the gloves same when your getting the toy out use the gloves iv found a major difference and i dont feel guilty anymore about touching and enjoying my stuff . i keep the gloves in my toy-room .

Kill your toys by keeping in the light / in a heated room / damp basement / loft / or garage the stuff keeps best in a shady room without much heat .

Yeah...I use rubber gloves for all kinds of things.

Banned

•    
    Quote Originally Posted by TFB View Post
    Yeah...I use rubber gloves for all kinds of things.
    Yes very handy mate iv got mine on now

I take reasonable, but not fanatical, care of my stuff. It will outlast me either way, so whatever.

A long time ago when I used to have some AFA cased Star Wars figures. I'd sometimes use a pair of rubber gloves to pick up the cases if I was photographing them for either display or selling purposes. It saved me from getting oily finger prints all over the cases which would drive me nuts. Perhaps that was just OCD on my part. Joe O and few others used to get a good laugh from this I seem to remember lol.

Regards

Grant.
    Some where in the Outer Rim Territories...

Quote Originally Posted by LeiaSTARWARSFAN View Post
    Yes very handy mate iv got mine on now
    I can't afford to live somewhere with a spare room for my collection I live in a pretty nice part of London so I just have to make do with storing them above my wardrobe's for the time being. But at some point soon I will be heading out from here and my collection will have its own room
    Big L Rest In Peace!
    my feedback :Feedback for Snake_Eyes_82
    Other Stuff I collect https://www.flickr.com/photos/140128699@N03/albums

Banned

•    
    No you did well who wants old toys with oil over the boxes dull dirty and shiny? i bit of care without going over the top is all that is needed the gloves last weeks months on end , it really keeps the stuff looking better id never dream of picking the stuff up with bare hands not after spending 100s on them .

Storage wise, I do a good job I think. All are stored in darkness (loose and carded). Loose in vented, acid free poly/cello bags. Nothing is AFA graded and never will be. I do handle them without gloves. Sorry, that's pushing it in my opinion. But that's me...if it works for you, that's cool. I like to be able to handle and actually touch the toy. This does not mean I eat a big greasy double cheese Whopper and jump right into my collection. I make sure my hands are clean and dry. Good enough for me. EDIT - Also I agree about the temperature controlled environment. This is crucial and many people drop the ball here unfortunately.
    Last edited by HughJorgan; 01-06-2013 at 02:02 PM.
    "People who alter or destroy works of art and our cultural heritage for profit or as an excercise of power are barbarians..." Geroge Lucas

Quote Originally Posted by Grant View Post
    A long time ago when I used to have some AFA cased Star Wars figures. I'd sometimes use a pair of rubber gloves to pick up the cases if I was photographing them for either display or selling purposes. It saved me from getting oily finger prints all over the cases which would drive me nuts. Perhaps that was just OCD on my part. Joe O and few others used to get a good laugh from this I seem to remember lol.

Regards

Grant.
    Grant AKA Lord Marigold
    Happy buyers, happy sellers >> RS Feedback
    All you ever wanted to know about Trilogos >>www.trilogo.info
    Things I'm looking for >> WTB:ALL 8D8 Pre Prod!

Quote Originally Posted by Joe_O View Post
    Grant AKA Lord Marigold
    Joe I didn't even want to write a post in this thread but as soon as I seen the thread title I thought I'd better mention it before you did lol. For anyone that's remotely interested I limelighted an old run many years ago and in one of the images there was a reflection of myself on one of the AFA cases wearing a set of marigolds as I was trying to not get any oily fingerprints on my acrylic cases. Seemed like a good idea at the time lol. (looking back thank goodness they were yellow)...Note to self must get my OCD in check for 2013.
    Some where in the Outer Rim Territories...

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast