Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Star Wars / Kenner Star Wars design patents on the SWCA

Star Wars / Kenner Star Wars design patents on the SWCA

One of my pet projects lately has been to revamp this section on the Archive since we unveiled it in 1998 (to the sound of chirping crickets, unfortunately). I found many other patents that we never had and the new Google interface is much nicer than the old USPTO one that we originally pulled the images from.

Toy Design Patents

Just thought I'd share because it's really neat to see the exact vintage toy likenesses shown and people don't often visit the Info & Reference section of the site to even know it's there. It's interesting to see what they did and did not patent (no Millennium Falcon for instance) and how the Lucasfilm and Kenner SW design patents basically stopped after this period.

And for those with interests in other toy lines, there are a ton of familiar sightings when you start following all of the references, citations, and assignees.

-chris
    Last edited by ChrisGeorgoulias; 12-30-2012 at 12:50 PM.
    The Star Wars Collectors Archive
    www.theswca.com
    chris@toysrgus.com

No MF patent but this

Patent USD271780 - Toy space vehicle - Google Patents

let the speculation proceed...

google is amazing.

Die-cast ship maybe?
    Last edited by Joshua_A; 12-30-2012 at 07:00 PM.

It's the Rebel Medical Frigate, of which a vintage toy was never made. I think Lucas and company were just patenting their character and vehicle designs as toys (or in the assumption they'd be toys) regardless if they actually ended up being so.

It's interesting to see 3PO and R2 patented as "robot" rather than "toy figure" as the rest were.
    www.theswca.com
    chris@toysrgus.com

These are brilliant Chris, I do remember seeing them some years back, but had pretty much forgotten about them.

I'm curious to hear, did any original artwork from this material surface? I've not heard of anything on the market over the years.
    Buying $$$$ all 2&3D Luke character protos, At-At stuff, 2-1B related, Rebel Commando items, Millennium Falcon whatever, and all the B-Wing Pilot pieces that even Steve Danley doesn't want (.25 cents).

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisGeorgoulias View Post
    It's the Rebel Medical Frigate, of which a vintage toy was never made. I think Lucas and company were just patenting their character and vehicle designs as toys (or in the assumption they'd be toys) regardless if they actually ended up being so.

It's interesting to see 3PO and R2 patented as "robot" rather than "toy figure" as the rest were.
    Ha ha. Yeah I worked out it was the Frigate

I am surprised they didn't give a us a medic bay set. Could of been like the Star Destroyer one. Just needed to make a Luke with removal hand to go with it.

The illustrations on the ships (especially Slave 1, Snowspeeder and AT-AT) are quite nice!

Quote Originally Posted by Bjamin_S View Post
    I'm curious to hear, did any original artwork from this material surface? I've not heard of anything on the market over the years.
    Ha. No - that the original artwork surfaced is not why I got back into that section. It's a nice thought though! I was doing some patent research and saw that we had missing things so I went on a mission to dig up as much as I could and make it complete. It can be nice supplementary material for toy prototype displays however because of how "official" it is and looks.

-chris
    www.theswca.com
    chris@toysrgus.com

Hey Chris thanks for posting those images. I can only kind of echo what others have said, how cool would it have been to have had Jabba's Sail Barge or to even at least see a Rebel Medical fleet ship.

Grant.
    Some where in the Outer Rim Territories...

Great update, Chris.

A couple of of questions about the inventors.

-Why wasn't Lucas on all of them? Did this change how much money he made on the toys?
    -Were the toy sculptors only credited on the one's they completely invented, iike the mini-rigs?

How about McQuarrie getting sole billing for the lightsaber!

Also, how about Jabba the Hutt being cited in cases with golf club, a sippee cup and a toy manatee.
    The Star Wars Collectors Archive Vintage Podcast:
    Now in its 8th Season and 6th Year WAMPA WAMPA!!!
    (A Chewbacca Collection The Chewseum)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast