Page 2 of 629 FirstFirst 12341252102502 ... LastLast

Thread: Star Wars: Episode VII - The Force Awakens

I'd say a Mark Hamill cameo is almost a certainty. This quote here is interesting-

“You know, when I first did this, it was four trilogies,” Mark Hamill recalled in 2004, speaking of their conversation in 1976. “Twelve movies! Out on the desert, any time between setups… lots of free time. And George was talking about this whole thing… ‘Um, how’d you like to be in Episode IX?’ ‘When is that going to be?’ ‘2011.’ […] I said, ‘Well, what do you want me to do?’ He said, ‘You’ll just be like a cameo. You’ll be like Obi-Wan handing the lightsaber down to the next new hope.’”
    PSN ID: ​stormshadow138
    Xbox Live Gamertag: Nightwing77780
    My Feedback

Pretty excited. If Luke is back in the Old Ben role along with a "next generation" of young, untested jedi facing something as simple as a new outbreak of Sith, I'll be pretty satisfied.
    See every astromech droid @ http://angelfire.com/droid/astromechs

I'd say the EU fans need to brace themselves for a reboot. I can't honestly imagine them being able to release a new film every 2-3 years without bumping into all the nuanced history of the EU.

If they are smart they will come out and say that they are rebooting. Otherwise every film will have one diatribe after another over some component in the conflicted EU chronology. Like an Ithorian colony was put on the wrong side of a planet.

I am looking forward to rediscovering Star Wars again. We knew how the prequels would end. Now we start a whole new road. One we haven't seen on film since 1982!

Well there's a heck of a lot of stromtroopers and commanders that weren't on DS2, not to mention Kamino can always pump out some more...
    May you live in interesting times.

Banned

^
    I don't think Storm Troopers are Clones. I personally hope they are not clones. The 501st probably won't like this but I honestly hope we don't even see a single Storm Trooper in this new Trilogy.
    Last edited by Darth_Engelhast; 11-01-2012 at 07:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by darthsatan View Post
    Well there's a heck of a lot of stromtroopers and commanders that weren't on DS2, not to mention Kamino can always pump out some more...
    In EU Kamino factories were distroyed from memory but who knows what Disney could do.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by GNT View Post
    In EU Kamino factories were distroyed from memory but who knows what Disney could do.
    Aren't the cloning facilities pretty much abandoned wrecks in Force Unleashed?

My mind has been going a mile a minute since the announcement. This is CRAZY! However it turns out, this whole idea is CRAZY and I need to say that once for the record.

Deep breath. Phew. Now then. Here come some thoughts about what we're looking at.

First, the droids. C-3PO and R2-D2 have to be there, or it's not Star Wars. They can get wormed in there however, even by pure chance if you like, since that's how they got into the OT in the first place.

The heroes can be either Luke/Han/Leia in their advanced middle age, or a whole new cast, like with Star Trek: The Next Generation. Either approach could succeed or fail, depending on how well it's done. I like the idea of seeing only Luke making a cameo somewhere, and if one OT person needs to appear it's him. An all-new cast would have the benefit of breaking free from obligation and expectation. On the whole, that is the route I'd prefer. Just make it a great and distinctive new cast with lots of memorable and likable new personality, and not a hack-Star Wars ripoff of itself (duh).

The villains have to be a new threat, not a resurgent Empire. I'm not interested in essentially a three-film mopping-up, unless they do the Thrawn trilogy. Which it's pretty apparent that they won't. The post-OT EU was often restrained by Lucas' insistance that the villains couldn't be Sith Lords. I'll assume that restriction no longer applies. Anything goes. That is how it should be approached anyway. If I were a gambling man, I'd bet we'll see a new generation of Sith. Of course, what does that accomplish? What could be left to tell that's important enough for a new trilogy? We don't want an unnecesary rehash of the same conflicts. But, it does need some good villains, no lousy Trade Federation or Separatist Confederacy eating up screentime, that's for sure.

This is probably going to chew our EU to pieces. Much as I hate that idea, I'm prepared to accept it. There's no practical way to carve an epic galaxy-spanning story (which this ought to be) without overwriting much of the present timeline. I can't seriously imagine that they'd start where we are now, after Fate of the Jedi, with Jaina and Ben as near grown-ups, many memorable characters killed, and meters of backstory. Deep end of the pool, to say the least. Then again, Episode IV started on the deep end of its own mythos, and that went over great. It could actually be a great idea to start there. But again, I doubt they''ll want to be chained to all that backstory. Time will tell.

As far as how this is likely to rank in the mythos, that part is already obvious. I doubt anything could topple the greatness of the classic trilogy, and it's difficult to imagine any sequel effort NOT trouncing the prequels. So its placement as neither the best nor the worst already seems secure. Hopefully it will turn out almost as good as the originals, and not almost as bad as the prequels. That's the ratings argument we're looking at.

Any filmmaker signing on to make these movies would have seen as well as us that you can't rely on cruddy CG effects to tell a story, and would be seeking to make something much more visually dynamic and in keeping with the original Star Wars. An abiding love for Star Wars is something most filmmakers have in common.

And finally, the elephant in the room, or rather the Mouse. Disney bought Marvel, and has made no visible attempt to mess with any of their stories or otherwise make their presence unwelcomely felt. This post-Eisner Magic Kingdom seems judicious enough that I'm not too worried about that being the ruination of Star Wars. Besides, what's to lose? Lucas has been squashing his own legacy so much more effectively than anyone else would have dreamt to. Put it in the hands of some people who would rather emulate The Empire Strikes Back than more prequel movies, and things are bound to turn out better.

It's easy to be a doomsayer, but I see every reason to be optimistic about how this will turn out.
    "The boy is pure dagnasty evil."
    "Uh huh. Ya think?"
    "Warned you, we tried. Listen, you did not. Now screwed we all will be!!"

I can really only see the three returning with extended cameos. Killing them off would be a huge middle finger to the audience.

Quote Originally Posted by Revanfan1 View Post
    They've announced it'll be a new story...no Thrawn. Sorry.
    Wait a second. I think we need to be careful about what they say and don't say. "Original story" not taken from the existing EU does not necessarily mean they won't use characters, scenarios, planets, etc. from the EU. TCW has been almost all original stories, but they've borrowed heavily from the existing EU, including popular characters like Quinlan Vos and scenarios like the squidheads and Mon Calamari living on the same planet.

So just because it's an original story doesn't necessarily mean they won't use some of the popular characters or ideas from the existing EU. We'll have to wait and see.

Page 2 of 629 FirstFirst 12341252102502 ... LastLast