Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Did any vintage toys fire missiles?

Did any vintage toys fire missiles?

I understand the rocket Fett situation but it seems like the policy of no missiles extended to the entire line all the way through '85. I can't think of any vintage figure, vehicle or playset that fired a missile of any type. My mind is drawing a blank but maybe there was something during vintage that shot missiles and I'm just not remembering right. If not vintage, could someone help me out and name the first Star Wars toy released that shot missiles?

It all started with a kid in Decatur, Ga who shot a missile from a Battlestar Gallactica ship down his throat and choked to death. There's a story floating around the net if you're interested. The toy industry changed significantly after that.
    "You just watch yourself, we're wanted men! I have the death sentence on twelve systems!"

Can only think of the Ewok Catapult.

Quote Originally Posted by KiAdiRandy View Post
    It all started with a kid in Decatur, Ga who shot a missile from a Battlestar Gallactica ship down his throat and choked to death. There's a story floating around the net if you're interested. The toy industry changed significantly after that.
    That must pre-date the Darwin Awards.

The Ewok Catapult! That's a great answer. Thanks. I had the Hoth playset with the exploding bunker and that was about as close as I could come to remembering projectile based action in the Star Wars line.

Yes, I wrote that blog post so I'm pretty caught up on the Robert Warren situation but what I'm interested in now is a larger exploration of the impact that debacle had on projectile firing toys in general. And Star Wars looks like it had a complete ban on projectile firing toys across the entire line, almost from the beginning. Now obviously the rocket firing Boba Fett was on the drawing table early on so Kenner probably didn't have an aversion to projectile based play from the outset. But as the line continued, Kenner had many opportunities to stick missile launchers in their vehicles and playsets but they never did (at least as far as I can remember). So I'm wondering if this was due to some internal company policy they always had or if it was a direct result of Mattel's situation.

Thanks everyone for your inputs.

Quote Originally Posted by crazysteve View Post
    I understand the rocket Fett situation but it seems like the policy of no missiles extended to the entire line all the way through '85. I can't think of any vintage figure, vehicle or playset that fired a missile of any type. My mind is drawing a blank but maybe there was something during vintage that shot missiles and I'm just not remembering right. If not vintage, could someone help me out and name the first Star Wars toy released that shot missiles?
    As was already mentioned, the BSG ships originally had firing missiles. Also, as I recall, some of the Micronauts toys from the mid-seventies also had firing missles, fists, etc.
    Last edited by Leif_G; 07-20-2012 at 11:21 AM.
    SW Collecting Since 1977
    Leif's Trade Feedback

Supersnipe Comic Art Gallery (and related SW art) (George Lucas' & Ed Summers' comic/art shop in the 1970's)
    Star Wars Dyeline & Cactus Print Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Leif_G View Post
    As was already mentioned, the BSG ships originally had firing missiles. Also, as I recall, some of the Micronauts toys from the mid-seventies also had firing missles, fists, etc.
    So would it be correct to say that the entire vintage Kenner Star Wars run including Star Wars, Empire, Jedi, Ewoks and Droids throughout the entire duration of their existence went without a single missile firing ship, figure or playset and the only projectile firing toy from this entire range was the Ewok Catapult?

•    
    Do the 'exploding' wings on TIE Fighters count?

Ian
    BACK FROM THE DEAD

When I was a kid I had a friend that thought so!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast