Thread: A Quick and Simple Custom Chain for the Black Series 6" Slave Leia

A Quick and Simple Custom Chain for the Black Series 6" Slave Leia

I'm not the first or only one to do this. But I picked up a Jabba and Leia with a fantastic discount as part of the pre Force Friday TFA clearance sales. So it is a new/recent project for me, and I thought I'd show what I did in case anyone else might be in the same boat and might want a fairly cheap upgrade.

I took the chain/collar to the store (Michael's) and searched through the beads/necklaces section until I saw what I thought was a good match. They had a set of three 18 inch chains in three different shades of metal. The link size was comparable and I'd have three shades to choose from.
    Thinking of what to use as a collar, I used what I would call your basic Christmas ornament hanging string. It is a copper/gold color and has a striped design that I think looks like a chain or rope that one might fashion into a collar that has the appearance of ornamentation as opposed to suggesting a dungeon, which is how I feel Leia's collar looks. She's restrained, but meant to be visually appealing.

This picture is the darkest chain still on the package, cut off strips of the collar/string, and the brightest color chain with a collar attached.

The brightest color matches the way Hasbro paints their piece and was the first one I tried. I tied the ornament string into a knot but made the loop a bit larger than the plastic one, based on pics from RotJ. I wanted it to drape a bit, more so to be a necklace than a choke collar. It's there to restrain her but not provide discomfort.
    After I tied it off, I applied a small drop of crazy glue to the knot. Then I cut off the two lengths of string as close as I could. Those loose pieces can be seen in the previous pic.
    Now, there were three loops I could have tied the collar onto. I used the existing clasp, but I could have removed that and used the next larger loop, or removed that and tied it directly onto one of the links of the chain. I went with the least effort at this point because I'd rather look at and think about it for a while. It's easier to remove parts after fully deciding on it, than to do it right away, then wish I hadn't done so and be forced to use (or buy) another chain. I have more ornament string if I decide to redo it later.

Here is a shot of the full chain and collar of the brightest color.

Here are a few pics of the chain that I did use, which was the middle color. For my tastes the brightest color seems too bright and clean, and the darkest looks too brown and flat. Though still shiny, the middle seems to be closest to the tarnished silver/gray metal color that most chain links that I've ever seen have.
    The ornament string seems to be a great match for the colors in the rest of Leia's outfit.

Now I'm not a customizer, so maybe people in here might think, "Whoopty do, everybody knows that beginner stuff."
    But maybe someone like me with no experience but some curiosity might see it and think that it seems simple enough for them to try.
    Last edited by Sizzzler; 09-08-2015 at 08:45 PM.
    Republic Commando; greatest EU storyline ever. Its failure to complete is a genuine literary loss.
    Now the entire EU's failure to continue, to even matter, is a greater loss.
    My Feedback Thread In Here ---> http://forum.rebelscum.com/t1084715/

Nice and simple! If you want to experiment with it even more, you could try to make it less shiny and new. If not, it will tarnish over time.

Thanks. I wasn't trying to put my little change/fix up against the major work you and others have done in here, but rather just give an example of a simple change.
    I was thinking about taking the shine off the chain after looking at the pics for a while. At this point I'm hesitant to make any changes that may be permanent. I'm the type that likes to have a plan, and I don't have the time to plan out a whole throne scenario yet. Once I do that, if I decide on adjusting the chain/collar connection or want to tarnish it up, it'll be because I have the whole look planned out.
    Republic Commando; greatest EU storyline ever. Its failure to complete is a genuine literary loss.

It is a good contribution and easy to do. Not everything has to be a mega diorama.

My suggestion mostly stems from the fact that I enjoy talking about crafting. It inspires me and hopefully helps someone else. I think shoe polish will dull the chain and can be polished off later if you want.

Recently, some people here have made amazing Thrones and hookahs. You should check them out.

While planning out everything is good, it can be daunting. Modular pieces are good. If time is an issue, just make the throne (from styrofoam) or even a blanket. Later, add pillows or the backrest. You might be happy with just that or you may decide to make a 6" scale entire throne room.
    If you don't add any more, it still looks great and your figure is unique.

Well I'm a bit of a clean freak, so if I go no further I'd rather have a clean chain.
    I'm not really creative in physical fabrication, I'm more creative as an idea man. I have been looking at the various throne layouts that others have done. I've seen the article about building a throne in a day, that uses the four floral foam blocks as a throne, and that seems simple enough. It's the fabrication of a railing and hookah/bowl, as well as the gargoyle heads that is more of a project than I'm skilled at. Not that I don't think I can do something, but that I don't have experience and therefore don't know what direction I would want to go. I tend to be based on realism, and thus don't do things if they can't seem accurate or realistic. Dirtying up the chain would be more realistic but I won't do it if I don't do anything further.

Because I got Jabba & Leia so cheaply, in a sense I'm playing with house money. I never expected to find myself in this position, but because I am, I am actually considering doing something that I don't normally do (create customs or a diorama of some sort).
    I prefer accurate details but know that I don't have the skills as of yet, so I am considering creating my own design. It may not match anything from RotJ, but this could be good in that whatever I create can't be critiqued for not looking very accurate. Not that others would necessarily do so, but I myself would think it didn't look great if it truly didn't. But if I'm not trying to match something, then it can't be inaccurate.

When I opened my Jabba, I was looking for somewhere to set him to take a few pictures. I've got this small table that was designed to hold a phone and answering machine, and I think Jabba looks pretty good sitting on it, without even doing anything to it.

So that was the moment that I starting to think about making up my own throne layout for Jabba, rather than trying to match a scene that would require more time, material, and skill than I may possibly be able to apply (or even want to).

I've been toying with the idea of creating my own style throne/slab, perhaps something like a repulsor sled. Jabba may have had many throne rooms in different locations. Perhaps he has a summer home or a fancy/elegant room somewhere. Though I may be thinking of something closer to what his uncle Ziro might have had.

Did you ever see Hedonism Bot on the show Futurama? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WoO7z3OTVTI
    I always though a robot designed to look like he is laying about on a couch was very creative.

Maybe I'll create a fancy sofa for him. Perhaps if they release a Gamorrean Guard, I'll design something like you might see in Eqyptian times. Can you imagine a stone slab couch that Gamorrean Guards had to carry about on their shoulders, with Jabba parading around like Cleopatra? Now that's a pretty funny looking thing that might make a great custom one day...
    Last edited by Sizzzler; 09-09-2015 at 11:21 PM.

I have to say, your last paragraph got me excited. Do that!
    Jam Shorts wearing Jabba at "Slave Leia bikini beach party" (that's a real thing) sounds much better than Jabba's Dais from ROTJ version 12.0. Since you aren't bound by the move (if you go that route), you can do anything! Hot Tub Jabba, Luge Jabba... 50's Sci-Fi silver spaceship Jabba... And that was only after 10 seconds of consideration.
    That table itself looks like a good throne with a built in backrest. Perhaps it can be the top of the throne.
    I'm an idea guy myself. I have hundreds of things I want to make. Rather, I am in the process of making hundreds of things!
    There is a skill to making something as accurate as possible, but it can be way more fun to do something unique. I usually start off doing things the first way and end up doing something unique by the time I finish. That is why my Jabba's Palace has Ewok rugs, a Disco Ball, Angry Birds, a Daggit head (Jerba was boooring), and (if I can ever get back to finishing it) Space Invaders, Galaga and a Pac Man arcade stations.