Page 590 of 593 FirstFirst ... 90490540580588589590591592 ... LastLast
Results 5,891 to 5,900 of 5929

Thread: Astromech Droid Focus Collectors

Quote Originally Posted by EmperorPalpitate View Post
    Thanks! Wish I could be as good as BARF, but I have to stick with the droids that I can make with spray paint and minimal, simplistic masking.
    Same. Hahaha!!

Nice work, Palps!
    If the Rebels have obtained a complete technical read-out of this station it is possible, however unlikely, that they might find a weakness. . . and exploit it.

So still having some trouble nailing down R5-B0019 but I will likely resort to eBay soon. Some friends went down for the Halloween stuff and forgot to grab one for me before leaving. Oh well.

Onto newer things, any news on the Holiday droid yet? Will it just pop up like B0019 did?

Quote Originally Posted by xjsn View Post
    So still having some trouble nailing down R5-B0019 but I will likely resort to eBay soon. Some friends went down for the Halloween stuff and forgot to grab one for me before leaving. Oh well.

Onto newer things, any news on the Holiday droid yet? Will it just pop up like B0019 did?
    Im in GE right now and passed on a him. The cards are not too great currently.

The absence of a 3.75" D23 droid and the lack of news about any forthcoming four packs, two packs or a holiday droid have me wondering whether Disney may be pausing with their wonderful 3.75" astro droid releases. I don't mean to be Chicken Little, but it would make sense, seeing as the focus has shifted to Galaxy's Edge merch and we're seeing astromech exclusives in other scales. I hope that's not the case. I love and will miss all of the fabulous Disney droid releases for 3.75", especially as Hasbro has become so conservative with their products in recent years.
    Last edited by ReverendStrone; 09-21-2019 at 08:12 PM.

I'm in the same boat as you. Starting to worry about the future of 3.75" astromechs. If they stop making regular 4-packs, and stop refreshing the BAD stations, it will be very dark days indeed. I don't want to imagine a scenario where we can only count on two new droids a year (Halloween and Xmas). Since Disney is the one putting the silly embargo on new product reveals until TFF, I'm crossing my fingers a new pack from TROS will be revealed next month.
    JTA: a wretched hive of scum and idiocy. You should be cautious.

Palp's feedback thread

On a more chipper note, I finally secured Sideshow's R5-D4. Weathering isn't as nice as the pics on the box, but it's decent. Couple of QC issues I had to fix, but since I got a good deal, and since Arfive is getting harder to come by, I'm not complaining.

Palp's feedback thread

Those Elite sized D-23 3 packs are going to be available at the Disney store later this year. (possibly FORCE Friday)
    "The Sith don't own my soul... They just lease it from time to time with an option to buy."

I am worried about the future of astro-collecting as well. I really like tracking down these Disney droids. The movie packs are nice, screen-linked droids while the holiday ones are just fun. I'd be really bummed to see them go but as stated above it seems like that time is creeping up. It was a pain sometimes to track these droids down (R3-B0017 eludes me and I just cannot swallow a $50 or more price tag for 1 droid) but generally I have managed (often with help from right here).

I think another sad trend is the decreasing appearances of these droids. It seems like they are becoming more and more absent in the backgrounds to help fill out the world on-screen. Maybe its just me but the droids just don't seem to have much attention anymore. One big grip I have with the new ones is the tiny amount of time R2-D2 has on-screen and even when there just seems to be a set-piece. This astromech was a plucky central character in 6 of the films why is he so diminished now?

If we are entering into a dark-time for astro-collecting what are folks plans to cope? Enjoy the break, work on displaying them, work on tracking down missed opportunities from the past? Just curious. I hope to work on some displaying, I have a cool idea and I hope to enlist the skills of my retired father-in-law. He just retired from his job curating in an art museum. I enjoy working with him. I may also try to track down some missing astromechs, such as B0017 among others.

I think another sad trend is the decreasing appearances of these droids. It seems like they are becoming more and more absent in the backgrounds to help fill out the world on-screen. Maybe its just me but the droids just don't seem to have much attention anymore.
    I've definitely noticed it, and perhaps that's a small part of the problem. Rogue One and TFA did have a handful (TLJ only had ONE single astromech, other than Artoo), but they were mostly fan-built droids based on preexisting 'mechs from past films. There was a real lack of newness to be had. I'm hopeful that future films and TV series will rectify that issue. We already know we're getting two unique astromechs in Rise of Skywalker so far (the mostly blue R2 unit, which is a fan-built droid, but an original design, and the turquoise/teal R5 unit, which was revealed via an upcoming Lego minifig), and The Mandalorian is introducing a new type of astromech dome, so there's still a glimmer of hope.

One big grip[e] I have with the new ones is the tiny amount of time R2-D2 has on-screen and even when there just seems to be a set-piece. This astromech was a plucky central character in 6 of the films why is he so diminished now?
    This is also my biggest beef with the new movies (which I mostly enjoy). I have nothing to back up this theory, but I've speculated that BB-8 wasn't created just to replace Artoo for the hell of it, but because JJ wanted a droid companion that could move faster than Artoo, so it could keep up with our heroes when they're running around from one place to the next. There are times in the PT when Artoo is clearly CG and is moving way faster than Artoo ever did in the OT. Those scenes always rubbed me the wrong way, since it didn't look natural to have R2-D2 moving so quickly. So, if I were to guess, JJ didn't want to speed up Artoo either, and thus he came up with a new type of droid that could go faster. The byproduct of that is poor Artoo got relegated to a side-character, only to be dusted off (quite literally in TFA) when they wanted to give him a cameo which didn't require him to be moving around much. His moment in TLJ was pretty great, but it was just that: A single moment. Even though Artoo is nowhere to be seen in the current trailers for TROS, I've seen some promotional images of him with BB-8 and D-O being used on kids' clothing and lunchboxes, so I'm hoping JJ finally gives R2-D2 his due in the final film.

Palp's feedback thread

EmperorPalps thanks for the fix on my misspelling of gripe. I ran through too quickly on my proofread.

As for your speed theory. I had never thought about that and will need to pay more attention on my viewings of the prequels. One off-putting thing from the prequels was all of Atroo's new "powers." Its odd that he had been more advanced in the past then downgraded in the future. I didn't even consider the speed of his moments but did not like his ability to suddenly fly.

With Threepio getting some attention and turning Sith apparently... I hope Artoo will be there to tag along.

Page 590 of 593 FirstFirst ... 90490540580588589590591592 ... LastLast